March 2, 2015 - Bill de Blasio

  • 03/02/2015

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio sits down with Larry to discuss income inequality, police-community relations and the city's marijuana laws.

>> Larry: TONIGHTLY, I'M GOINGONE-ON-ONE WITH NEW YORK CITY

MAYOR BILL DE BLASIO.

MIGHT ASK HIM QUESTIONS, MIGHTDUNK ON HIM.

EITHER WAY, HE'S GETTING A LOTOF L.W. IN HIS FACE.

DE BLASIO'S FIGHTING TO SAVENEW YORK CITY'S MIDDLE CLASS.

ALL TWELVE OF THEM.

WE'LL ALSO DISCUSS THE MAYOR'SRELATIONSHIP WITH THE NYPD,

WHICH HAS MORE BEEF THAN ANEW YORK CITY HOT DOG.

I'M IN A NEW YORK STATE OF MIND.

IT'S THE "THE NIGHTLY SHOW"!

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)♪♪

>> Larry: THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

WELCOME TO THE "THE NIGHTLYSHOW"!

I APPRECIATE IT.

I'M LARRY WILMORE.

TONIGHT, I'M SO EXCITED.

I'M SITTING DOWN WITH MAYORBILL DE BLASIO.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)APPRECIATE THE MAYOR COMING BY.

AS SOMEONE WHO'S LIVED INNEW YORK FOR...

SIX MONTHS NOW, I FEEL LIKETHERE'S NO BIGGER AUTHORITY ON

NEW YORK CITY THAN MOI. FORINSTANCE, DID YOU KNOW

THERE'S A SUBWAY HERE THAT RUNS24 HOURS A DAY?

KNOWLEDGE!

SINCE THE MAYOR IS HERE, ANDTHERE'S A LOT GOING ON IN

NEW YORK CITY, LET'S GET A QUICKUPDATE OF THE ISSUES.

I GUESS THE TOP STORY ABOUTNEW YORK IS THE WEATHER.

IT'S THE THIRD COLDEST WINTER ONRECORD.

THANKS DE BLASIO.

I DON'T REMEMBER IT BEING THISCOLD WHEN BLOOMBERG WAS MAYOR.

IN FACT, IT'S SO COLD INNEW YORK, THAT THIS:

>> THIS MORNING THREE MEN LIVINGIN BROOKLYN ARE ACCUSED OF

CONSPIRING WITH I.S.I.S.

AUTHORITIES SAY TWO OF THE MENPLOTTED TO JOIN THE I.S.I.S.

FIGHT IN SYRIA .

>> Larry: THAT'S RIGHT.

IT'S SO COLD, THEY JOINEDI.S.I.S. JUST TO WARM UP.

SO NOT FOR IDEOLOGICAL REASONS,BUT FOR METEOROLOGICAL REASONS.

BY THE WAY, WORST REASON TO JOINI.S.I.S. EVER.

ANYWAY, BACK TO NEW YORK, THEGREATEST CITY IN THE WORLD.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> Larry: ABSOLUTELY TRUE.

YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUTNEW YORK -- IF YOU CAN MAKE IT

HERE, YOU CAN MAKE IT ANYWHERE.

OR AS THE SAYING HAS BEENSHORTENED TO NOWADAYS -- YOU

CAN'T MAKE IT HERE.

SERIOUSLY, MAN, TRY AUSTIN ."

AS LONG AS YOU KEEP IT WEIRD.

IN NEW YORK, INCOME INEQUALITYHAS GOTTEN SO OUT OF HAND THAT

46% OF NEW YORKERS LIVE NEAR THEPOVERTY LINE.

A RECORD HIGH 59,000 PEOPLE ARECURRENTLY HOMELESS, AND THE TOP

5% EARNS 88 TIMES THE LOWEST20%.

SO THE INCOME GAP BETWEEN RICHAND POOR ISN'T SO MUCH A GAP AS

IT IS A PRADA.

(LAUGHTER)PERHAPS THE MOST TROUBLING IN

THE LAST TWO YEARS, NEW YORKCITY MAYORS HAVE SEEN THEIR NET

WORTH DROP BY NEARLY$35.7 BILLION.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)THAT'S HORRIBLE!

COVER YOUR EARS, MR. MAYOR.

NEW YORK'S GOING TO HELL IN AKNOCKOFF HAND BASKET.

IT USED TO BE THAT THE BIGGESTISSUES NEW YORKERS FACED WERE

CRIME, RODENTS ANDCRIME-FIGHTING RODENTS.

BUT THE LATEST PROBLEM FACINGNEW YORKERS...

>> MANSPREADING, THELAY-IT-ALL-OUT SITTING STYLE.

MEN SPREADING THEIR LEGS WHILERIDING THE SUBWAY.

TAKING UP TWO, SOMETIMES THREESEATS.

>> THE M.T.A. IS LAUNCHING ACAMPAIGN TO PUT A STOP TO IT.

>> Larry: WAIT.

HOLD ON A SECOND.

THE M.T.A. IS GOING TO SPENDMONEY TELLING MEN TO SIT WITH

THEIR LEGS CLOSED?

OKAY.

I'M TORN ON THIS.

BECAUSE NEW YORK CITY USED TO BEA PLACE WHERE YOU COULD CRACK

OPEN A BEER ON THE SIDEWALK ANDURINATE UNDER A SCAFFOLDING

WHILE ASKING A COP FORDIRECTIONS AND YOU COULD SMOKE

ANYWHERE.

PART OF THIS TOWN'S CHARM WASITS LAWLESS STYLE AND ROUGH

EDGES.

BUT ON THE OTHER HAND, A LOT OFPEOPLE GOT MURDERED.

CRIME WAS EVERYWHERE.

THERE WERE GANGS, HOOKERS.

BACK THEN THE REASON THE GUYSITTING NEXT TO YOU ON THE TRAIN

WAS TAKING UP TOO MANY SEATS WASBECAUSE HE HAD BEEN FRESHLY

MURDERED.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)IN FACT, THE REASON THEY LET YOU

SMOKE EVERYWHERE WAS TO COVER UPTHE SMELL.

SO I GUESS, COMPARATIVELYSPEAKING, THE CITY'S DOING

PRETTY WELL.

SO WELL, IN FACT, THAT WE'RE NOWNIT-PICKING THE MALE THIGH GAP,

SO AS MUCH AS WE CAN COMPLAINABOUT THE HIGH COST OF LIVING,

AT LEAST MORE OF US ARE LIVING.

WE'LL TALK TO MAYOR DE BLASIOABOUT SOME OF THESE ISSUES WHEN

WE COME BACK.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)♪♪

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)♪♪

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> Larry: THANK YOU!

WELCOME BACK!

TONIGHT OUR GUEST IS NEW YORK'SFIRST DEMOCRATIC MAYOR IN OVER

20 YEARS.

HE'S JUST COMPLETED HIS FIRSTYEAR AND WE ARE EAGER TO HEAR

HIS THOUGHTS ON THEJOB. EVERYONE, PLEASE WELCOME

MAYOR OF NEW YORK CITY, BILL DEBLASIO!

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)♪♪

THERE HE IS!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

COME RIGHT OVER HERE AND HAVE ASEAT!

>> LIVELY.

>> Larry: VERY LIVELY TONIGHT.

WE HAVEN'T SAT OVER HERE BEFORE,WHICH IS NICE

>> IT HAS MORE OF A PROFESSIONALFEELING

I THOUGHT WE MIGHT WANT TO MANSPREAD A LITTLE BIT.

YOU'RE PRETTY TALL, SO YOU'VEGOTTA BE CAREFUL ABOUT THAT

(LAUGHTER)MAYOR, YOU CAMPAIGNED ON CLOSING

THE GAP BETWEEN THE RICH ANDPOOR AND CHARACTERIZED IT AS

A TALE OF TWO CITIES, RIGHT?

IF WE WERE TO KEEP IT 100%DICKENS, RIGHT --

(LAUGHTER)-- HOW WOULD YOU VIEW YOUR FIRST

YEAR -- WAS IT THE BEST OR WORSTOF TIMES?

(LAUGHTER)>> THE BEST OF TIMES IN TERMS OF

MAKING REAL CHANGE. WE SAID ATTHE BEGINNING

WE WERE GOING TO GO RIGHT ATINCOME INEQUALITY.

THAT MEANS RAISING PEOPLE'SINCOMES AND BENEFITS.

HALF A MILLION MORE PEOPLE NOWHAVE PAID SICK LEAVE

IN THE CITY THAN A YEAR AGO.(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

WE WERE GOING TO TAKE AWAY SOME

OF THE EXPENSES THAT BURDENPEOPLE ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE A

FAMILY SO FREE FULL-DAY PRE-KFOR OVER 50,000 PEOPLE IN THE

CITY NOW.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)WE TALKED ABOUT AFTER-SCHOOL.

A LOT OF PARENTS HAVE TO WORRYABOUT WHERE THEIR KIDS ARE AFTER

SCHOOL AND WHAT'S HAPPENING TOTHEM.

NOW 50,000 MORE KIDS WHO AREMIDDLE AGE HAVE AFTER-SCHOOL FOR

FREE.

(APPLAUSE)THESE ARE THE KINDS OF THINGS

THAT ACTUALLY GO AT THE PROBLEMOF INCOME INEQUALITY.

IF YOU LOWER THE EXPENSES INPEOPLE'S LIVES, YOU RAISE THEIR

INCOME, RAISE THEIR BENEFITS YOUHELP FIND THEM AFFORDABLE

HOUSING -- WE HAVE AFFORDABLEHOUSING FOR HALF A MILLION

PEOPLE, THE SAME NUMBER AS LIVEIN THE CITY LIMITS OF MIAMI.

(APPLAUSE)I THINK THAT'S GREAT.

HOW DOES AFFORDABLE HOUSING HELPINCOME INEQUALITY?

SHOULDN'T IT BE CALLED INCOMEDISPARITY RATHER THAN INCOME

EQUALITY?

BECAUSE INCOMES ARE NEVER GOINGTO BE EQUAL.

>> THEY'RE NEVER GOING TO BEEQUAL BUT THE GAP IS WORSE THAN

AT THE MOMENT THAN WHEN THEGREAT DEPRESSION STRUCK IN THE

1920s. THAT WAS THE ROARING 20s

THAT'S A TIME WE LOOK BACK ONWITH A HUGE

NUMBER OF MISTAKES.UNFORTUNATELY,

WHEN IT COMES TO INCOMEDISPARITY, WE REPEAT IT AND IT

GOES FARTHER. AND IT'S NOTSUSTAINABLE.

SO HOW DO YOU ADDRESS INCOMEINEQUALITY?

YOU BRING UP THE WAGES ANDBENEFITS FOR PEOPLE AND LOWER

EXPENSES IN THEIR LIVES.FOR EXAMPLE, WHAT'S THE

NUMBER ONE EXPENSE IN MOSTPEOPLE'S LIVES? HOUSING.

IN NEW YORK CITY OVER HALF OFTHE PEOPLE PAY MORE THAN A THIRD

OF THEIR INCOME IN HOUSING.

IF YOU CAN LOWER THAT COST YOUCHANGE THEIR LIVES

FUNDAMENTALLY.

>> Larry: IT'S A HUGE ISSUE.

IN FACT, DO YOU REMEMBER JIMMYMcMILLAN?

>> OF COURSE. CLASSIC.

>> Larry: THE RENT IS TOO DAMNHIGH GUY

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)HE WAS FANTASTIC.

I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP.

HE GOT EVICTED FROM HISPLACE LAST WEEK OR SOMETHING.

THAT'S MESSED UP.

I MEAN, IF YOU'RE A MIDDLE CLASSFAMILY, CAN YOU MAKE IT HERE

ANYMORE AS A MIDDLE CLASSFAMILY?

>> YOU CAN, BUT IF WE DON'TCHANGE THE COURSE YOU WON'T BE

ABLE TO MUCH LONGER FOR A LOT OFTHE MIDDLE CLASS FAMILIES.

THAT'S REALITY.

THAT'S WHERE WE'RE USING TOOLSOF GOVERNMENT AGGRESSIVELY TO

HELP SUPPORT THE MIDDLE CLASS,HELP PEOPLE REACH THE MIDDLE

CLASS, STAY IN THE MIDDLE CLASS.

THAT'S WHAT CREATES ASUSTAINABLE SOCIETY.

IF YOU DON'T CREATE AFFORDABLEHOUSING ENERGETICALLY WITH

GOVERNMENT INVOLVMEMENT IT'S NOTGOING TO HAPPEN.

WE'VE SAID TO DEVELOPERS, IF YOUWANT TO DEVELOP IN A SERIES

OF DESIRABLE PARTS OF THE CITY,THE ONLY WAY YOU WILL DEVELOP IS

IF YOU GUARANTEE US YOU WILLCREATE AFFORDABLE HOUSING

>> Larry: IT HAS TO BE APUBLIC-PRIVATE COOPERATION.

>> BUT WITH THE REQUIREMENT OFAFFORDABLE HOUSING.

>> Reporter: YOU CAN'T JUSTHOPE THAT THEY DO IT.

>> CORRECT.

>> Larry: TAKE THEIR WORD FORIT.

>> GOOD WILL ONLY GOES SO FAR.

>> Larry: SURE.

SO YOU REQUIRE THE CREATIONOF AFFORDABLE HOUSING.

YOU REQUIRE HIRING WAGES ANDBENEFITS.

ONE OF THE THINGS WE HAVE TO DOIN THIS CITY AND STATE AND

COUNTRY IS RAISE THEMINIMUM-WAGE.

IT'S LONG OVERDUE.

>> Larry: SURE.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)I WANT TO MAKE SURE WE GET

QUESTIONS FROM REGULARNEW YORKERS.

I WANTED TO SHOW YOU ONE FROM AGUY ON THE STREET.

IT'S ABOUT HOUSING.

>> I'M CURIOUS WHAT THE MAYOR'SGOING TO DO FOR THE HOMELESS IN

NEW YORK CITY.

I TELL PEOPLE I'M HOMELESS.

THEY'RE SHOCKED.

THEY SAY THEY DON'T BELIEVE IT.

THERE'S A STEREOTYPE ABOUT THEHOMELESS.

THEY THINK ALL THE HOMELESS ISDIRTY, STINKING, WE'RE DRUG

ADDICTS OR ALCOHOLICS.

THAT'S NOT TRUE.

SOME PEOPLE HAVE FALLEN ON VERYHARD TIMES.

>> Larry: THIS GUY LOOKS LIKEHE COULD WORK ON WALL STREET.

IT'S SHOCKING.

THE NUMBERS HAVE RISEN 10%.

WHY DO YOU THINK THAT'SHAPPENING?

>> THE GREATEST ECONOMIC CRISISSINCE THE GREAT DEPRESSION A FEW

YEARS AGO.

PEOPLE ARE STILL FEELING THATDEEPLY. MEANWHILE THE PRICE OF

HOUSING AND EVERYTHING ELSE ISSTILL GOING UP.

SO PEOPLE GOT CAUGHT IN THATVICE AND WERE DISPLACED.

>> Larry: ARE YOU FINDING ITFRUSTRATING GETTING PEOPLE

EXCITED ABOUT THIS? I KNOW YOUAND CUOMO AREN'T NECESSARILY

SEEING EYE TO EYE.

WHEN YOU ASK FOR FUNDS, YOU MUSTFEEL LIKE THE GUY IN THE

SUBWAY -- I'M NOT HERE TO BEG!I'M ACTUALLY THE MAYOR OF A

LARGE CITY! IS THAT WHAT ITFEELS LIKE?

>> THAT'S ACTUALLY EXACTLY HOW IDO IT.

HOW DID YOU KNOW?

(LAUGHTER)>> Larry: IS IT FRUSTRATING?

FIRST OF ALL, THAT STORY ISPAINFUL.

>> Larry: IT'S HEARTBREAKINGAND ALL OVER THE CITY.

>> IT'S PAINFUL BECAUSE OF SOMANY PEOPLE WHO, AGAIN, THINGS

HAPPENING AROUND US MADE ITIMPOSSIBLE FOR THEM AND OF

COURSE A LOT OF OUR FOLKS WHOARE HOMELESS, HAVE SUBSTANCE

ABUSE ISSUES AND MENTAL HEALTHISSUES ON TOP OF IT,

WHAT ARE WE DOING ABOUT IT?WE'RE TRYING TO HELP STOP PEOPLE

FROM BECOMING HOMELESS TO BEGINWITH.

SOMETIMES A SMALL RENTAL SUBSIDYTO KEEP SOMEONE IN AN APARTMENT

SEEMS TO MAKE MORE SENSE THAN ASHELTER WHICH IS NOT GOOD FOR

THEM AND THEIR FAMILY.>> Larry: RIGHT. AND HAVING

THEIR OWN PLACE BUILDSSELF-ESTEEM AND MOTIVATION AND

ALL SORTS OF GOOD THINGS FORTHE WHOLE SOCIETY.

>> THAT'S RIGHT.

THIS IS ABOUT SAYING WE'RE NOTACCEPTING A SITUATION WHERE SO

MANY OF OUR BROTHERS AND SISTERNEW YORKERS ARE HOMELESS.

WE HAVE TOOLS. WE CAN HELP KEEPPEOPLE FROM GETTING EVICTED

IT'S AMAZING HOW MANY PEOPLE GETEVICTED BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE

ACCESS TO THE LAWYER.

WE'RE HELPING MORE AND MOREPEOPLE GET LEGAL SERVICES TO

SUPPORT THEM.

>> Larry: GREAT.

(APPLAUSE)YOU HAD A VERY PUBLIC DISPUTE

WITH THE POLICE SINCE THE DEATHOF ERIC GARNER.

VERY UNFORTUNATE SITUATION.

LET'S GET ANOTHER QUESTION FROMANOTHER NEW YORKER HERE.

>> MY NAME IS ALEXANDERHAMILTON.

MY QUESTION IS TO MAYOR De Blasio.

I WANT TO KNOW HOW ARE YOUADDRESSING THE PROBLEMS BETWEEN

BLACKS AND THE POLICE.

>> Larry: OKAY.

THAT WAS FROM ONE OF OURFOUNDING FATHERS.

(LAUGHTER)(APPLAUSE)

THAT'S HOW IMPORTANT THIS ISSUEIS, MAYOR De Blasio!

>> WOW.

LARRY, YOU ARE BOOKING AMAZINGGUESTS.

EXTRAORDINARY.

>> Larry: WHAT IS THERELATIONSHIP NOW WITH THE

POLICE?

HOW IS THAT BEEF?

(LAUGHTER)IS IT LIKE A WEST COAST-EAST

COAST THING RIGHT NOW?

>> NO, THANK GOD.

A LOT OF WORK WENT INTO EVERYONEFINDING A WAY TO GET ON A BETTER

PAGE BECAUSE I THINK WHATHAPPENS IS THE PEOPLE OF THIS

CITY SAID LOOK, WE WENTTHROUGH A VERY PAINFUL

SITUATION.

THE DEATH OF ERIC GARNER WASEXTRAORDINARILY PAINFUL.

THE ASSASSINATION OF TWO OF OUROFFICERS WHICH REALLY PULLED AT

THE HEARTS OF NEW YORKERS -->> Larry: IT RESONATED WITH

THE ENTIRE COUNTRY.

>> IT DID.

AND I THINK THE WAY FORWARD ISWHAT EVERYONE WAS LOOKING FOR.

WHAT I SAID IS WE HAVE TO BRINGTHE POLICE AND COMMUNITY

TOGETHER. OVER THE YEARS, THINGSLIKE THE STOP AND FRISK POLICY

WERE DIVISIVE AND IT CAUSED

PEOPLE TO LOOK AT THEIR YOUNGMEN, THEY FAMILY MEMBERS,

CHILDREN, GRANDCHILDREN, NEPHEWSBEING TREATED LIKE CRIMINALS

WHEN IN FACT THEY WERELAW-ABIDING YOUNG MEN.

>> Larry: YOU GOT IN TROUBLEFOR TALKING ABOUT YOUR BIRACIAL

SON -- OR AS I LIKE TO CALL HIM,YOUR BLACK SON --

>> Larry: NO DISREPECT, BUT IFYOU'RE HAVING

TO TALK TO YOUR SON ABOUT THECOPS, THAT'S YOUR BLACK SON,

RIGHT?

(CHEERING)I MEAN, IT'S NOT LIKE THE COPS

ARE GOING TO PULL YOU OVER ANDSAY, FREEZE!

OH, ARE YOU MIXED OR SOMETHING?

>> IS THAT CALLED KEEPING IT100?

>> Larry: IT IS.

YOU WERE BEING HONEST FOR THATAND I FELT YOU GOT PUNISHED FOR

THE HONESTY.

HOW DID THAT MAKE YOU FEEL?

>> THE FIRST THING THATASTOUNDED ME ABOUT THIS REALITY

IS I FIRST SPOKE ABOUT THEISSUES WHEN I WAS RUNNING

FOR MAYOR.>> Larry: IT WASN'T A NEW THING

WE WERE TALKING ABOUT THEREALITY OF CONVERSATIONS IN OUR

FAMILY.

A YOUNG MAN OF COLOR IN AMERICATODAY NEEDS TO HAVE THAT

CONVERSATION IN HIS FAMILY.

IT'S SOMETHING THAT EVERYONEKNOWS.

IT'S NOT A COMMENT DISRESPECTFULTO THE POLICE.

WE DEEPLY RESPECT OUR POLICE ANDNEED OUR POLICE TO PROTECT US,

BUT IT IS A COMMENT THAT REFERSTO OUR HISTORY AND THINGS WE

STILL HAVEN'T WORKED OUT.

THAT'S THE REALITY.

>> Larry: RIGHT.

(APPLAUSE)WHAT DO YOU THINK IS THE

PRESCRIPTION?

BECAUSE I THINK IT'S GREAT YOUAND THE POLICE ARE HEALING RIGHT

NOW, BUT WHAT IS THEPRESCRIPTION FOR THE CITY TO

HEAL?

>> I THINK IT IS ABOUT BONDINGPOLICE AND COMMUNITY BECAUSE

WHEN THE PARTNERSHIP ACTUALLYDEEPENS, EVERYONE WILL BE SAFER.

THINGS LIKE THE RETRAINING OFPOLICE WHICH WE'RE ADAMANT

ABOUT, EVERY SINGLE POLICEOFFICER IS GOING INTO RETRAINING

ON HOW TO DEESCALATE ANYSITUATION, ANY CONFRONTATION,

ANY ARREST, DEESCALATE, REDUCETHE VIOLENCE FOR EVERYONE'S

SAFETY AND OF COURSE THE SAFETYOF THE OFFICERS.

BODY CAMERAS.

(APPLAUSE)BODY CAMERAS ARE MAKING A HUGE

DIFFERENCE.

IT WILL HELP OFFICERS THINKABOUT THEIR SITUATION AND WILL

GIVE US A CLEAR RECORD OF WHATHAPPENS IN EACH CIRCUMSTANCE.

>> Larry: ACCOUNTABILITY.

WE'LL HAVE ACCOUNTABILITY.

AND I THINK THIS IS STEADY WORKBECAUSE IN THE END --

>> Larry: IT'S GOING TO TAKETIME.

THE IMAGES ARE VERY STARK OFTHEM TURNING THEIR BACKS ON YOU

AND -->> I UNDERSTAND THAT.

BUT THE REALITY IS WHEN YOU'RETRYING TO MAKE SOCIAL CHANGE, NO

ONE SAID IT HAPPENS OVERNIGHT.

IS ABOUT PERSISTENCE. BUT I KNOWTHE PEOPLE WANT IT

I KNOW THE PEOPLE DO NOT WANT USTO GO BACKWARDS AND WE COULD

HAVE THAT PARTNERSHIP BETWEENPOLICE.

IT'S SOMETHING WE HAVE TO FIGHTFOR.

>> Larry: I CERTAINLY HOPE SO.

WE HAVE A VERY SPECIFICQUESTION FROM A MAN IN ASTORIA

>> HI.

MY NAME IS DAN SCHNAR.

I'M HERE FROM ASTORIA.

THIS IS WHERE I LIVE.

I HAVE A QUESTION FOR MAYORDE BLASIO.

THE MISCOMMUNICATION BETWEENM.T.A. AND ITS RESIDENTS.

THE NQ TRAIN SHUT DOWN RANDOMLYAND WE WEREN'T INFORMED.

THERE'S A BUNCH OF PEOPLEWAITING IN THE STREETS FOR THE

SHUTTLE BUSES, AND I WAS TRYINGTO SEE WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP

REMEDY THE SITUATION BETWEENM.T.A. AND THE RESIDENTS OF NYC.

(CHEERING)>> Larry: I GOT THIS ONE,

MR. MAYOR.

SO SHUTTLE BUSES ARE MAKING ALLSTOPS BETWEEN QUEENSBORO PLAZA

AND DITMARS BOULEVARD DURINGALTERNATE WEEKEND SERVICE, OR

YOU COULD ALSO WALK OVER TOSTEINWAY AND 23rd AND GET ON

THE Q101 LINE BUS, THAT WILLTAKE YOU RIGHT TO EAST

61st STREET.

THEN YOU CAN GRAB THE 4, 5 OR 6AT 59th STREET.

YOU'RE WELCOME, MAYOR.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

WE'LL TALK MORE TO THE MAYORRIGHT AFTER THIS!

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> Larry: OKAY!

WELCOME BACK TO MY ONE-ON-ONESITDOWN WITH MAYOR De Blasio.

WE ALSO ASKED OUR AUDIENCE TOSEND IN QUESTIONS ON TWITTER.

THIS IS @THEDANDYMANNYC FROMNEW YORK CITY.

WHEN WILL RECREATIONAL MARIJUANABE LEGAL IN NEW YORK?

IN OTHER WORDS, WHY SHOULD THERENT BE THE ONLY THING THAT'S

TOO DAMN HIGH?

(LAUGHTER)IS THAT ON THE PROGRESSIVE

AGENDA?

>> NO, NO PLAN TO DO THAT NOW.WE DID CHANGE THE LAW SO

WE'RE DOING MANY FEWER ARRESTSFOR POSSESSIONS OF VERY SMALL

AMOUNTS OF MARIJUANA.

>> Larry: SO THEY DON'T HAVE TOGO TO JAIL IF THEY HAVEMARIJUANA

ON THEM?

>> FOR POSSESSION OF SMALLAMOUNTS, WHAT USED TO BE

ARRESTS IS NOW A SUMMONS.ARRESTS ARE DOWN 65%.

(APPLAUSE)>> Larry: HOW MUCH MARIJUANA

DO YOU HAVE ON YOU TO BEARRESTED?

I'M ASKING FOR A FRIEND...

(LAUGHTER)>> WE'LL GET YOUR FRIEND THE

ANSWER.

>> Larry: OKAY, GREAT.

HERE'S ONE. THIS ONE IS FROM@CHIRLANE. I THINK YOU KNOW

SOMEONE BY THAT NAME.>> I DO. I'M WORRIED.

SOMEONE BY THAT NAME.>> I DO. I'M WORRIED.

>> Larry: DID YOU OR DID YOU NOTPROMISE TO PICK UP

THE DRY CLEANING OVER THEWEEKEND?

>> THIS IS TRULY KEEPING ITTRULY 100.

I WAS ORDERED TO PICK UP THE DRYCLEANING AND I'M TOO SCARED TO

DEFY THAT ORDER >> Larry: SO WHAT YOU'RE SAYING,

MR. MAYOR, IS BLACK WIVESMATTER?

(LAUGHTER)(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> CLEVER, CLEVER!

YES, THEY DO.

(LAUGHTER)>> Larry: WE'LL BE BACK.

I HAVE ONE MORE QUESTION FOR THEMAYOR RIGHT AFTER THIS!

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Larry: OKAY!

WELCOME BACK!

I'M HERE WITH MAYOR De Blasio.BEFORE WE GO, I'VE GOT TO DO ONE

MORE THING. IT'S TIME TO KEEP IT100

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)NOW, I HAVE BEEN WAITING TO ASK

YOU THIS QUESTION FOR A WHILEAND I REALLY WANT TO GET YOUR

HONEST ANSWER ON THIS.

REMEMBER, YOU HAVE TO KEEP IT100% REAL.

>> I HAVE WATCHED THE SHOW.

>> Larry: YES, THAT'S RIGHT.

ONE OF THESE.

>> Larry: ONE OF THOSE.

ALL RIGHT, SO, NOW, THISQUESTION HAS TO DO ABOUT COLOR

AND OUR PERCEPTION.

REMEMBER, YOU MUST ANSWER 100%HONESTLY.

WHAT COLOR IS THIS DRESS?

(LAUGHTER)TAKE YOUR TIME, MAYOR!

>> I'M GOING TO GO WITH BLUE --AND -- GREEN?

(LAUGHTER)>> Larry: AND THAT'S WHAT'S

WRONG WITH THIS CITY, MAYOR,RIGHT THERE!

AUDIENCE, WHAT COLOR IS IT?(UNINTELLIGIBLE ANSWER)

>> Larry: I'M THROWING TEA ATTHE WHOLE AUDIENCE.

YOU HONESTLY SEE GREEN IN THAT?

>> YEAH.

>> Larry: YOU DON'T SEE BLUEAND BLACK?

>> NO, I SEE GREEN.>> Larry: YEAH IT LOOKS A LITTLE

GREENY>> I'D SAY THAT'S VERY 100.

>> Larry: WE'LL GIVE YOU ASTICKER. HE KEPT IT 100 TONIGHT.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> Larry: TOMORROW ON THE

SHOW, WE'LL ADDRESS SEXUALASSAULT ON COLLEGE CAMPUSES --

SHOULD YOUNG WOMEN BE ALLOWED TOCARRY GUNS TO PROTECT

THEMSELVES?

IT'S A PROVOCATIVE SUBJECT.

SO TWEET YOUR QUESTIONS WITH THEHASHTAG KEEP IT 100.

UNTIL THEN, I THANK MY GUESTMAYOR BILL De Blasio!

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)UNTIL THEN, GOODNIGHTLY,

EVERYONE!

Captioning sponsored by COMEDY CENTRAL

Captioned by Media Access Group at WGBH

access.wgbh.org