April 7, 2014 - Edward Frenkel

  • 04/07/2014

Jeb Bush defends illegal immigrants, Alaska outlaws drone-assisted hunting, a GOP candidate speaks at a cockfighting rally, and Edward Frenkel talks "Love and Math."

>> Stephen: WELCOME TO THEREPORT, EVERYBODY, THANK YOU

SO MUCH FOR JOINING US.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

HOW ARE YOU?

>> STEPHEN, STEPHEN,STEPHEN!

STEPHEN, STEPHEN, STEPHEN!

STEPHEN, STEPHEN, STEPHEN!

>> Stephen: THANK YOU SOMUCH.

>> STEPHEN, STEPHEN,STEPHEN!

>> Stephen: THANK YOU SOMUCH.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)FOLKS, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR

BEING HERE ON-- NICE TO BEHERE ON SUCH A SPECIAL

NIGHT.

I JUST HAD A NEW CHILD.

AND IT'S THE EASIEST BIRTHI'VE EVER HAD.

WELCOME TO THE FAMILY, AVERY.

NATION, WE ARE JUST-- (CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Stephen: FOLKS, WE AREJUST 100 DAYS AWAY FROM

BEING 845 DAYS AWAY FROM THE2016 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION.

AND THE GOP FIELD IS ALREADYFULL OF STRONG CONTENDERS

FORMING COMMITTEES TOEXPLORE THE POSSIBILITY OF

TALKING TO THEIR FAMILIESABOUT MAYBE VACATIONING IN

IOWA THIS YEAR.

(LAUGHTER)THE CANDIDATE I'VE BEEN

PINNING MY HOPES ON IS JEBBUSH, HE'S A STRONG LEADER

WHOSE VICTORY WOULD RETURNDIGNITY TO THE WHITE HOUSE

AND RELEVANCE TO MY TRAMP STAMP.

SADLYTHIS PAST WEEKEND JEB SHOT

HIMSELF IN THE FOOT WHICHWOULD HAVE BEEN A RINGING

ENDORSEMENT OF GUN RIGHTS IFHE HADN'T ALSO SAID THIS

ABOUT ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.

>> THEY CROSS THE BORDERBECAUSE THEY HAVE NO OTHER

MEANS TO WORK, TO BE ABLE TOPROVIDE FOR THEIR FAMILY.

YES, THEY BROKE THE LAW, BUTIT'S NOT A FELONY.

IT'S KIND OF-- IT'S AN ACTOF LOVE.

(LAUGHTER)>> Stephen: HE WILL BE

MISSED.

(LAUGHTER)BECAUSE REPUBLICAN PRIMARY

VOTERS KNOW THAT ILLEGALIMMIGRATION IS NOT AN ACT OF

LOVE, SIR.

IT IS ILLICIT FILTHY ACT OFBORDER PENETRATION.

NO LOVE INVOLVED.

IT IS SWEATY AND IT ISFRANTIC.

AND ODDS ARE IT IS HAPPENINGIN THE BACK OF A TRUCK.

(LAUGHTER)THE ONLY LOVE GOING ON HERE

IS THE IMMIGRANT'S LOVE FORAMERICAN JOBS EDUCATION AND

HEALTH CARE.

I SAY IF IMMIGRANTS LOVEDTHEIR FAMILIES SO MUCH THEN

WHY DOES MY HOUSEKEEPERNEVER SEEM TO GO HOME TO HER

KIDS.

SHE'S ALWAYS WITH MINE.

BY THE WAY, ROSITA, I NEEDYOU TO STAY LATE TONIGHT.

DON'T GET ME WRONG, FOLKS,IMMIGRATION IS WHAT MADE

THIS COUNTRY GREAT.

BUT ONLY WHEN IT'S THE RESULTOF NAZIS, POTATO FAMINE OR

HOWEVER BLACK PEOPLE GOTHERE.

I DON'T KNOW.NICE TRY, JEB, IT'S OVER.

NATION, I NEVER BOW IN THEFACE OF CRITICISM, I AM THE

FACE OF CRITICISM.

THIS IS TIP OF THE HAT, WAGOF THE FINGER.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> NATION, NATION, IF YOU

WATCH THIS SHOW, I KNOW YOUDO, I KNOW THAT I DON'T

TRUST "THE NEW YORK TIMES",EXCEPT THE WEDDING

ANNOUNCEMENTS.

IT IS THE FINAL CONFIRMATIONOF WHAT THE COUPLE'S

INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK, TWITTERAND SAVE THE DATE ONLY

HINTED AT.

AND NOW THE ANNOUNCEMENTPAGE GOT EVEN ANNOUNCIER.

BECAUSE SANDWICHED INBETWEEN ALL THE NOTICES OF

MARRIAGE THEY RECENTLYINTRODUCED A NEW COLUMN

CALLED UNHITCHED WHICHSHARES STORIES OF DIVORCE.

IT IS SWEET, ISN'T IT?

(LAUGHTER)THE MOST RECENT COLUMN

FEATURED JOHN AND PATTY REIDWHO GOT MARRIED IN THE '80s

BUT BEGAN DRIFTING APART.

JOHN LAMENTS OUR LOVE WANTSTRONG ENOUGH TO BREAK DOWN

THE WALLS BETWEEN US.

APPARENTLY JOHN MET A WOMAN.

AT FIRST THE RELATIONSHIPWAS BUSINESS-RELATED BUT IT

BECAME ROMANTIC.

THAT'S A NICE CLIPPING FORTHE SCRAPBOOK FOR TWO OF THE

THREE PEOPLE INVOLVED.

(LAUGHTER)SO I'M GIVING A TIP OF THE

HAT TO THE "NEW YORK TIMES"SFOR KEEPING IT REAL.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)NOW QUICK MESSAGE, QUICK

MESSAGE TO THE NEWLY-WEDSWHOSE NUPTIALS WERE FEATURED

IN THE TIMES.

THE BAD NEWS ISSTATISTICALLY HALF OF YOUR

MARRIAGES WILL END INDIVORCE.

THE GOOD NEWS IS YOU WILLHAVE ANOTHER CHANCE TO BE

PROFILED BY "THE NEW YORKTIMES".

BUT ONE OCCASIONAL STORY INTHE CORNER OF THE PAGE IS

NOT ENOUGH THERE SHOULD BEAN ENTIRE SECTION OF DIVORCE

ANNOUNCEMENTS, BRAD BERNSTEINAND JENNIFER CHEN WERE

DIVORCED FRIDAY IN ANUNCIVIL CEREMONY AT THE LAW

OFFICES OF WERNER AND GLUCKCHAN'S FATHER

SAID QUOTE THANK GOD THEREWERE NO CHILDREN.

AND FOR THATMATTER, FOR THAT MATTER, WHY

ARE NEWLY-WEDS AND THEDIVORCED HOGGING ALL THE

LIMELIGHT.

WHAT ABOUT CELEBRATING THEMILLIONS OF MARRIED COUPLES

WHO ARE SIMPLY MAKING ITWORK BY PRINTING STILL

MARRIED ANNOUNCEMENTS.

MARK HEFNER AND HIS WIFEMARIE ARE PLEASED TO

ANNOUNCE THEY CONTINUE TO BEMARRIED.

ARE THEY ALWAYS HAPPY, NO.

IS IT WORK WITH KIDS, YOUBET YOUR ASS IT IS.

MARIE HAS A FULL-TIME JOBTOO SO WHY IS HE IS THE ONE

TAKING THE KIDS TO SOCCERPRACTICE, OH, HERE WE GO,

GET OUT THE CHALK AND THEBLACKBOARD BECAUSE I KNOW

YOU'RE KEEPING SCORE.

>> I'M SORRY, I'M SORRY, I'MJUST TIRED.

ANYWAY MARK AND MARIEBASICALLY ENJOY EACH OTHER'S

COMPANIES AND ISN'T THAT THEMOST YOU CAN HOPE FOR?

(APPLAUSE)>> GET ON IT, "NEW YORK

TIMES".

I WANT THIS, I WANT THISSTILL MARRIED ANNOUNCEMENT

TO BE PRINTED FOR THE SAMEREASON ALL MARRIAGE

ANNOUNCEMENTS ARE PRINTEDTO MAKE THE PEOPLE YOU KNOW

JEALOUS.

NEXT UP, FOLKS, I LOVEHUNTING.

PARTLY IT'S THE THRILL OFSTALKING PREY BUT MOSTLY

IT'S THE LOVE OF ALCOHOL ANDPUBLIC URINATION.

AND I LOVE EVERY INNOVATIONIN HUNTING WHICH IS WHY I'M

GIVING A WAG OF MY FINGER TOTHE ALASKA BOARD OF GAME

WHICH JUST VOTED TO MAKE-- ASSISTED HUNTING

ILLEGAL BY BANNING USING ADRONE TO FLY ABOVE TREES TO

LOOK FOR A MOOSE OR A BEAR.

WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO, GOINTO THE WOODS MYSELF.

THERE MIGHT BE A MOOSE OR ABEAR IN THERE!

(LAUGHTER)AND LISTEN, JUST LISTEN TO

THEIR LAME REASON.

>> ALASKA'S BOARD OF GAMESAYS DRONES GIVE HUNTERS AN

UNFAIR ADVANTAGE.

>> Stephen: SINCE WHEN ISHUNTING ABOUT FAIRNESS?

IF IT WAS FAIR, WE WOULDMEET THE MOOSE IN THE MIDDLE

OF A FIELD, FLIP A COIN ANDTHE WINNER GETS THE GUN.

SO LIFT THIS BAN, ALASKA,AND ALLOW AMERICANS TO

FULFILL THE DREAM OF EVERYOUTDOORSMAN BAGGING A

MAJESTIC 12 POINTBUCK FROM THE COMFORT OF HIS

OWN TOILET.

FINALLY, ON TIPPY KI-YAY MOTHERWAGGER A NEW WARNING HAS BEEN

ANNOUNCED ABOUT A CAR WITH 16VALVES, FOUR CYLINDERS AND

THOUSANDS OF LITTLE LEGS.

>> MAZDA ISRECALLING 42,000 CARS

BECAUSE OF POTENTIAL DANGERCAUSED BY SPIDERS.

THE AUTOMAKER SAYS THEINSECTS ARE DRAWN BY THE

SMELL OF GASOLINE AND THENTHEY BUILD WEBS INSIDE THE

VENT HOSE.

THAT CAUSES THE FUEL TANK TOCRACK, INCREASING THE RISK

OF FUEL LEAKS AND FIRES.

>> Stephen: THAT'S RIGHT.

ONCE AGAIN, MANKIND FACES ATHREAT OF GAS HUFFING SPIDERS.

(LAUGHTER)WHICH BRINGS ME TO A TIP OF

THE HAT TO MAZDA WHOSEHANDLING OF THIS ISSUE IS AS

SMOOTH AS THE HANDLING OFTHE MAZDA 6-4 SEDAN, MAZDA,

IT'S GOT SPIDERS IN IT.

NOW MAZDA-- QUICK TOEXPLAIN--

(APPLAUSE)>> MAZDA QUICKLY EXPLAINED

THAT NO INJURIES OR FIRESHAVE BEEN REPORTED DUE TO

THE ISSUE.

AND YOU CAN TRUST MAZDA ASEXPERTS ON THE SPIDER ISSUE

BECAUSE THEY'VE HAD PLENTYOF PRACTICE.

BACK IN 2011 MAZDA RECALLEDCARS FOR THE SAME PROBLEM.

YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY, ACAR FULL OF SPIDERS ONCE,

SHAME ON YOU.

CAR FULL OF SPIDERS TWICE,OH GOD, THE SPIDERS ARE BACK.

NOW AT THIS POINT-- (CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

AT THIS POINT WHEN YOU BUY AMAZDA, SPIDERS ARE JUST A

DEALER OPTION.

SO YOU WANT AN UNDERCOATING?

NO, HOW ABOUT THE SPIDERS,NO?

OKAY, I CAN REMOVE THESPIDERS FOR $500 BUT I WILL

HAVE TO ASK MY MANAGER FIRST.

NOW IF YOU ARE A MAZDAOWNER AFFECTED BY THIS

RECALL, DO NOT WORRY BECAUSEMAZDA WILL UPDATE YOUR CAR'S

SOFTWARE FOR FREE TOINSURANCE THAT THE FUEL TANK

PRESSURE DOESN'T BUILD UP.

YES, YOU STILL HAVE THESPIDERS, BUT NOW YOU CAN USE

THE HOV LANE. WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

>> Stephen: WELCOME BACKEVERYBODY, THANK YOU SO MUCH.

FOLKS, PRIMARY SEASON IS UPONUS AND I COULD NOT BE MORE

EXCITED.

FINALLY A CHANCE TO SEE SOMEFRESH NEW FACES BEING

BANKROLLED BY THE SAME OLDFACES.

(LAUGHTER)AND FOLKS, NO FACE NEEDS

FRESHENING MORE THAN MITCHMcCONNELL.

I HAVE RECENTLY ALWAYS BEENOPPOSED TO MITCH McCONNELL.

HE CLAIMS TO BE A SMALLGOVERNMENT CONSERVATIVE, YET

HE WORKS FOR THE UNITEDSTATES SENATE, PICK A SIDE,

SIR, THANKFULLY McCONNELL ISFACING A STRONG PRIMARY

CHALLENGE FROM KENTUCKY TEAPARTY DARLING MATT BEVIN,

THIS WILL BE HIS CLOSESTRACE SINCE HE BEAT THAT

HAIR.

BUT NOW, BUT NOW THE LIBERAL,YOU ALL KNOW-- THE LIBERAL

KENTUCKY MEDIA IS GOINGAFTER MY MAN BEVIN JUST

BECAUSE HE SPOKE AT ACOCKFIGHTING RALLY.

FOLKS, THAT'S JUST GOODPOLITICS.

A CANDIDATE HAS TO REACH ALLCONSTITUENCIES.

SOCCER MOMS, COCKFIGHTINGDADS, BEAR BAITING UNCLES,

HORSEWHIPPING SISTERS IN LAW,AND PERSONALLY I WAS

THRILLED WHEN I HEARD ABOUTBEVIN'S CONNECTION TO

GAMECOCKERY.

LONG TIME VIEWERS OF THEREPORT KNOW SOMETHING KNOW

I'M SOMETHING OF ACOCK-THUSIAST.

THERE IS NO GREATER RUSHTHAN WATCHING A FILIPINO

BLUE FACE GO BEAK TO BEAKWITH A CHINESE SILKE, THE

SMELL OF THE DUST, THE GLEAMOF THE BLADE, THE CALL OF

PEPE THE TOOTHLESS BOOKIE.

IT IS THE SWEET SCIENCEFOLLOWED SHORTLY BY THE

SAVORY SOUP.

BUT APPARENTLY, AND I DIDNOT KNOW THIS, SOME

SO-CALLED AMERICANS OPPOSEMAKING ROOSTERS FIGHT TO THE

DEATH.

THEY PREFER THEIR POULTRY TOBE HUMANELY CRAMMED INTO A

CRATE AND COMPASSIONATELYBEHEADED BY A HOMICIDAL

CONVEYER BELT.

SO NOW ATTACK CHICKENS ARECIRCLING MATT BEVIN WITH THE

HUMANE SOCIETY CALLING FORHIM TO WITHDRAW FROM THE

RACE.

THANKFULLY, BEVIN HAS APERFECTLY REASONABLE

EXPLANATION FOR WHY HE SPOKEAT THE COCKFIGHTING RALLY.

HE DID NOT REALIZE THE EVENTHAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH

COCKFIGHTING.

I MEAN HOW-- HOW COULD HE! HOWCOULD HE KNOW THE EVENT WAS

HOSTED BY THE AMERICANGAMEFOUL DEFENSE NETWORK.

THAT NAME COULD MEANANYTHING.

I MEAN IT COULD BE ABOUTGIVING ASSAULT RIFLES TO

ROOSTERS.

I WOULD PAY TO SEE THAT.

AND AS BEVIN POINTED OUT, LIFEON THE TRAIL MOVES TOO FAST

TO NOTICE DETAILS LIKE WHOYOU ARE TALKING TO.

JIM?

>> I WAS THE FIRST PERSON TOSPEAK AND THEN I HAD TO

BOOGIE BECAUSE I HAD TO GETTO OWENSBORO WHERE I WAS

ALSO SPEAKING AT ANUNBRIDLED LIBERTY RALLY.

>> Stephen: YES, HE'S MOVINGALL OVER THE STATE, SPEAKING

HERE, SPEAKING THERE, HISHANDLERS DRIVE HIM AROUND IN

A WINDOWLESS VAN WITH A BAGON HIS HEAD AND WHIP IT OFF

AND HE JUST GOES FOR ITLIBERTY, AND THEN BACK IN

THE BAG.

AND-- (APPLAUSE)

>> AND AS A MEMBER OF THETEA PARTY, BEVIN WANTS

EVERYONE TO KNOW THAT THEREPUGNANT PRACTICE OF

COCKFIGHTING WHICH HE IN NOWAY CONDONES IS ALSO A PROUD

AMERICAN TRADITION.

>> WHEN YOU LOOK ATCOCKFIGHTING AND DOGFIGHTING

AS WELL.

THIS ISN'T SOMETHING NEW.

THE FOUNDING FATHERS WEREALL, MANY OF THEM ACTIVELY

INVOLVED IN THIS AND ALWAYSHAVE BEEN.

>> Stephen: YES.

THEY ALL, THEY WERE ACTIVELYINVOLVED IN COCKFIGHTING AND

ALWAYS HAVE BEEN.

WHICH MEANS THERE MUST BECOCKFIGHTING IN HEAVEN.

THOUGH TECHNICALLY THEYSTRAP SPURS ON THE ANGELS

AND MAKE THEM GO AT IT.

THE POINT IS, OUR FOUNDERSDID IT.

IT IS OUR HERITAGE.

AND SHOULD CONTINUE TODAY.

THE SAME REASON WE SHOULDALL BE DUALING WITH PISTOLS

AND BONING OUR SLAVES.

SO LAYOFF MATT BEVIN.

HE DOES NOT CONDONE IT BUTIF YOU ARE GOING TO HOLD A

RALLY TO SUPPORTCOCKFIGHTING, HE WILL BE

THERE AND NOT KNOW WHY.WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

>> Stephen: HEY, WELCOME BACK,EVERYBODY.

MY GUEST TONIGHT IS AMATHEMATICIAN WHO HAS A NEW

BOOK OUT ABOUT LOVE ANDMATH.

I'LL ASK HIM IF ONE IS THELONELIEST NUMBER.

PLEASE WELCOME EDWARDFRENKEL.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

SOMETIMES THESE PEOPLEDESERVE A DOUBLE DIP.

NOW YOU DESERVE IT TOO.

>> THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

>> Stephen: AS DO YOUBECAUSE ARE YOU A VERY

IMPRESSIVE GUY BUT IN WAYSTHAT I DON'T THINK I'M

QUALIFIED TO JUDGE, OKAY.

BECAUSE YOU NEED NOINTRODUCTION, OBVIOUSLY BUT

I WILL DO IT ANYWAY, YOUARE A PROFESSOR OF

MATHEMATICS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA

BERKLY.

I DON'T HAVE TO TELL PEOPLEHERE THAT YOU ACTUALLY

WORKED ON THE FREE FIELDREALIZATIONS OF KAC-MOODY

ALGEBRAS-- (APPLAUSE)

>> ALSO YOU DEFINED THEQUANTUM DRIMFELD SOKOLOV

PRODUCTION AND DESCRIBED THECENTER OF THE UNIVERSAL

DEVELOPING ALGEBRA OF AWALKING MODULE TO GREAT A

GROUND BREAKING FRENKELALPHA MORPHISM.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> Stephen: HUGE, HUGE, THE

PEOPLE HERE, THEY ARE MOREFELDMAN FANS THAN FRENKEL.

>> IT IS LIKE RED WINE, YOUCAN ENJOY SOMETIMES.

SO I THINK THEY ARE FANS.

>> Stephen: PERHAPS OVER APIECE OF POACHED SALMON

YOU HAVE A NEW BOOK CALLEDLOVE AND MATH, THE HEART OF

HIDDEN REALITY.

WHAT THE HELL DOES LOVE HAVETO DO WITH MATH BECAUSE

SPOILER ALERT, I HATED MATH AND I WILL TELL YOU

WHY, BECAUSE MATH DOESN'TCARE ABOUT MY OPINION.

WHY SHOULD I LOVE IT.

>> WELL, THANK YOU FORSAYING THAT, STEPHEN.

BECAUSE I HEAR IT QUITEOFTEN.

EVEN FROM SUPERSMART ANDSUPERINTELLIGENT PEOPLE WHO

WOULD NEVER SAY I HATE ART.

OR I HATE MUSIC.

>> Stephen: I HATE SOME ART,SOME MUSIC.

>> BUT IT'S OKAY IN OURSOCIETY TO SAY I HATE MATH.

>> Stephen: SO MATH IS LIKEART TO YOU.

>> MATH IS LIKE ART.

BUT THE GOOD NEWS IS THATWHEN YOU SAY I HATE MATH,

IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT.

>> Stephen: WHOSE FAULT ISBECAUSE I LOVE BLAMING

PEOPLE FOR THINGS.

>> IT'S MY FAULT.

>> Stephen: YOUR FAULT.

>> I SHOULD HAVE WRITTENTHIS BOOK A LONG TIME AGO.

>> Stephen: SO IF I READTHIS I WILL LOVE MATH.

>> I HOPE SO.

WHEN PEOPLE SAY I HATE MATH,WHAT YOU REALLY SAYING IS I

HATE THE WAY MATHEMATICS WASTAUGHT TO ME.

IMAGINE IN ART CLASS.

IN WHICH THEY TEACH YOU ONLYHOW TO PAINT A FENCE OR A

WALL BUT NEVER SHOW YOU THEPAINTINGS OF THE GREAT

MASTERS.

THEN OF COURSE YEARS LATERYOU WILL SAY I HATE ART.

WHAT YOU WOULD REALLY BESAYING IS I HATE PAINTING A

FENCE.

AND SO IT IS WITH MATH.

WHEN PEOPLE SAY I HATE MATH,WHAT THEY ARE REALLY SAYING

IS I HATE PAINTING A FENCE.

>> Stephen: BUT IN MATHDON'T I HAVE TO KNOW A FAIR

AMOUNT OF HIGH END MATH TOAPPRECIATE THE WORK OF THE

MASTERS.

IT'S ALMOST AS IF, YOU KNOW,YES, YOU COULD SHOW ME A

PAINTING BY A MASTER, BUT IDON'T HAVE EYEBALLS YET.

DON'T YOU NEED TO SORT OFGROW THE MATH EYEBALLS TO

SEE THE EQUATIONS ASBEAUTIFUL?

>> THAT'S OUR JOB.

YOU KNOW, ONE OF MY TEACHERSA GREAT TEACHER WOULD SAY-- USED

TO SAY, YOU KNOW F YOU ASK ADRUNKARD WHICH NUMBER IS BIG

TWO, TWO-THIRDS OR THREEFIFTHS HE WON'T TELL YOU,

BUT IF YOU ASK HIM WHAT ISBETTER, TWO BOTTLE OF VODKA

FOR -- HE WILL TELL YOURIGHT A WAP.

TWO BOTTLES.

COURSE.

SO I TRY TO-- .

>> Stephen: THAT IS A LEVELOF MATH THAT PERHAPS ONLY

RUSSIANS CAN DO.

(APPLAUSE)>> TRUE.

I COME FROM RUSSIA.

>> Stephen: YES.

>> FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE.

>> Stephen: FROM RUSSIA WITHLOVE.

>> AN MATH.

>> Stephen: NOW IN RUSSIA,IS MATH THE SAME AS IT IS

HERE OR OVER THERE IS IT 2PLUS 2 IS WHATEVER PUTIN

SAYS IT IS?

>> I'M NOT THE ONE TO SPEAKFOR PUTIN.

>> Stephen: YES, YOU MIGHTHAVE TO GO BACK.

I UNDERSTAND-- UNDERSTAND.

OKAY.

YOU NOT ONLY SOMEONE WHOWRITES PASSIONATELY, YOU

ACTUALLY HAVE PERFORMEDPASSIONATELY.

YOU DID A THE RIGHT OF LOVEAND MATH, AN EROTIC

JOURNEY INTO THE BEAUTY OFNUMBERS AND THE HUMAN FORM.

WHICH FEATURES YOU NAKED ANDWITH EQUATIONS ON THE BODY

OF YOUR LOVER.

ISN'T THAT A LITTLECONSERVATIVE FOR A PROFESSOR

AT BERKELEY.

>> WHAT WOULDN'T I DO TOEXPOSE THE BEAUTY OF

MATHEMATICS.

>> Stephen: LET'S SHOW THEPEOPLE YOU WHAT DID

>> Stephen: LET'S SHOW THEPEOPLE YOU WHAT DID

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> Stephen: I MIGHT HAVE HIT

THE BOOKS A LITTLE BITHARDER AS A CHILD AM NOW IS

THAT FOR GENERAL AUDIENCES,CAN KIDS WATCH THIS.

THAT WOULD BE A GREAT WAY TOGET TEENAGERS HOOKED ON

MATH.

>> WELL, IF THE FILM MAKESVIEWERS WANT TO EMBRACE

MATHEMATICS, SO BE IT.

>> Stephen: WHAT WERE YOUWRITING ON THAT POOR WOMAN'S

STOMACH.

WHAT IS THAT EQUATION THERE?

>> WELL, IN THE FILM, SHEREPRESENTS MATHEMATICS

>> Stephen: SHE'S MATH? I DIDN'T REALIZE THAT.

>> THE FILM IS ABOUT A LOVEAFFAIR THAT IS US DOING

MATHEMATICS, IT IS A LOVEAFFAIR.

AND SHE REPRESENTS THE TRUTHIN MATHEMATICS WHICH IS WE

SACRIFICE OURSELVES.

AND THE PREMISE OF THE FILMIS THAT THE MATHEMATICIAN

FOUND THE FORMULA OF LOVE.

THE FORMULA SO POWERFUL THANHE REALIZED THAT HE REALIZED

THIS COULD BE USED NOT ONLYFOR GOOD BUT ALSO FOR ILL.

SO THEN HE UNDERSTANDS THATHE HAS TO PROTECT THE

FORMULA.

HE HAS TO HIDE IT.

FROM THE POWERS THAT BE WHOCOULD MISUSE IT.

COULD MISUSE THE FORMULA ANDTHAT'S WHY HE DECIDES TO

TATTOO IT ON THE BODY OF THEWOMAN HE LOVES.

>> Stephen: AND THEN, ANDTHEN WHAT HAPPENS TO HER?

DO THE BAD GUYS CHASE HERAND --

>> YOU HAVE TO SEE THE FILM.

>> Stephen: I SAW SOME OF IT.

I SAW-- I CAN'T ACTUALLYSHOW THE PEOPLE BECAUSE ITS

GOT YOUR NAKED BUTT IN IT.

DO ALL MATHEMATICIANS HAVEAN ASS THAT HIGH AND TIGHT?

>> THANK YOU FOR SAYING THAT.

>> Stephen: I NEVER DID MATHAND THE RESULTS WERE

DISASTROUS.

EDWARD FRENKEL, THANK YOU SOMUCH.

THE BOOK IS LOVE AND MATH.WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

>> Stephen: THAT'S IT FORTHE REPORT, EVERYBODY.

GOODNIGHT.