November 7, 2013 - Daniel Lieberman

  • 11/07/2013

The Senate cracks down on sexual discrimination, Stephen is nominated for a People's Choice Award, and author Daniel Lieberman discusses "The Story of the Human Body."

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )>> Stephen: WELCOME, WELCOME,

WELCOME ONE AND ALL!

MY FRIENDS, MY TRUE FRIENDS.

>> STEPHEN, STEPHEN, STEPHEN!

WELCOME TO THE REPORT.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THANKYOU SO MUCH.

OH, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN,AFTER A GREETING LIKE THAT I

JUST WANT TO BLOW YOURBAGPIPE.

(LAUGHTER)FOLKS, I HOPE YOU KNOW THAT

WHEN IT COMES TO SEXUALEQUALITY IN THE WORKPLACE I

TAKE A BACKSEAT TO NO ONEEXCEPT MY DRIVER PABLO.

OKAY.

HE'S A GUY, BECAUSE IF YOUHAVE SEEN HOW WOMEN PARALLEL

PARK, HUH-UH.

BUT TODAY, FOLKS, I BELIEVETHAT WE AS A NATION CROSSED

AN IMAGINARY LINE THAT ISSUDDENLY ALL TOO REAL.

"THE COLBERT REPORT"'SSOMEONE ON MSNBC HAS MORE.

>> WE'RE WATCHING THE SENATEFLOOR WHERE THEY JUST PASSED

THE EMPLOYMENTNONDISCRIMINATION ACT WHICH

PROVIDES WORKPLACEPROTECTION FOR THE LGBT

COMMUNITY.

>> Stephen: YOU HEAR THATWORKPLACE COMMUNITY FOR THE

LGBT COMMUNITY.

THEY WANT TO MAKE IT ILLEGALFOR AN EMPLOYER TO

DISCRIMINATE AGAINST LESBIAN-- GAYS--

(LAUGHTER)BATMAN AND-- I KNOW THIS ONE,

I KNOW ONE, TARTAR SAUCE,YES.

WELL, THOSE INTO THE TARTARSAUCE LIFESTYLE.

NOW LUCKILY THIS ENDA BILLAPPLIES ONLY TO COMPANIES

WITH 15 OR MORE EMPLOYEES SOYOU'RE SAFE FOR NOW 14

BIGOTS MOVING AND STORAGE.

(LAUGHTER)NOW FOLKS, IF YOU THINK, IF

YOU ARE'S SAYING TO YOURSELFOH T WON'T AFFECT MY

WORKPLACE, FOLKS YOU'RE DEADWRONG.

AS THE AMERICAN FAMILYASSOCIATION WARNS, REST

ROOMS AND LOCKER ROOMS COULDBECOME LANDMINES FOR

DISPUTES AND DISTURBANCES.

AN ANATOMICALLY MALEEMPLOYEE WHO CLAIMS A FEMALE

GENDER IDENTITY MIGHT BEABLE TO DEMAND ACCESS TO THE

WOMEN'S REST ROOM.

NOW FOLKS IT'S ALREADYSTARTED HERE IN NEW YORK

CITY.x6THIS IS TRUE, AN ALL GENDER

REST ROOM SYMBOL.

LOOK AT THIS YOU GOT A GUY,YOU GOT A GIRL, THE NEXT ONE

OVER THERE IS ALREADYSPORTING A BONER AND--

(LAUGHTER)AND THE ONE ON THIS END IS

IN SOME SORT OF CRAZY SEXSWING.

NO WAY I COULD PEE IN THERE.

I WOULD GET STAGE FRIGHT.

NOW FOLKS IT IS A NIGHTMAREFOR EMPLOYERS.

AS THE FAMILY RESEARCHCOUNCIL COUNSELS, ENDA WOULD

FORCE RELIGIOUS BUSINESSOWNERS AND WORKPLACES SUCH

AS CHRISTIAN BOOK STORES TOACCEPT AS NORMAL

TRANSVESTITE AND DRAGQUEENS.

OH YEAH.

IT IS WELL-KNOWN THAT BETTEDID LETTER OVER HERE IS JUST

DOING THOSE CAB A RECEIPTACT UNTIL SHE LANDS HER

DREAM ACT OF FIGURINES OFJESUS PLAYING BASEBALL.

TODAY IT IS TRANSGENDER.

TOMORROW THE GOVERNMENT WILLTELL ME I CAN'T FIRE A

MERMAID.

I'M SORRY, EXCUSE ME, AHERMAFROTROUT.

NO MATTER WHAT IT COST KNEESMAKE HER CUBICLE WATERTIGHT.

THAT IS WHY BEFORE ENDATAKES EFFECT I'M GETTING RID

OF EVERYONE ON MY STAFF WHODOESN'T SHARE MY PERSONAL

SEXUAL PREFERENCES.

AND NOT JUST THELGBHGTVLMNOP CROWD, OKAY.

IF ARE YOU NOT A PREMIUMMEMBER OF TALL WOMEN

CARRYING HEAVY THINGS.COM,

NATION, YOU KNOW I LOVES METHE SUPER BOWL.

IT IS THE STANLEY CUP OFSPORTS PEOPLE ACTUALLY

WATCH.

BUT LATELY THERE HAS BEENMUCH CONTROVERSY IN THE

GREAT GAME OF FOOTBALL.

FOR MORE THIS IS THE SPORTREPORT.

FOR MORE THIS IS THE SPORTREPORT.

NATION-- (CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Stephen: NATION, I CANNOTBEGIN TO TELL YOU HOW MUCH

OF OUR CHILDHOOD WAS SPENTON THE GRIDIRON BECAUSE I

HAVE NO RECOLLECTION, SHOULDHAVE WORN A HELMET.

AND MY FAVORITE NFL TEAM ISALWAYS BEEN THE WASHINGTON

REDSKINS.

BUT MY TEAM IS FACING SOMEUNNECESSARY ROUGHNESS FROM

THE PC POLICE.

>> WILL THE WASHINGTONREDSKINS BE FORCED TO CHANGE

ITS NAME.

AT A MEETING EARLIER THISWEEK LEADERS THERE THE

UNITED INDIAN NATION ASKEDTHE NFL TO SANCTION TEAM

OWNER DANIEL SNYDER FORCONTINUING TO USE WHAT THEY

CALL A RACIAL SLUR.

>> FOR US, THE R WORD IS THE"N" WORD.

>> WRONG.

IT'S IF THE R WORD WAS THE"N" WORD I WOULDN'T BE ABLE

TO SAY IT ON THE AIR, WATCHTHIS, REDSKIN REDSKIN

REDSKIN.

SEE?

(LAUGHTER)TOTALLY FINE.

NOW LET ME TRY THAT WITH THEN WORD.

N -- ♪♪

♪ OKAY, SO SIGN HERE, ANDSIGN HERE, THERE, I'M SORRY,

APOLOGIZE, NO, I WROTE THE"N" WORD AGAIN, APOLOGIZE.

THERE YOU GO.

THERE YOU GO.

ALL RIGHT, THANK YOU, THANKYOU.

ANYWAY, REDSKINS TEAM OWNERDAN SNYDER HAS DEFENDED

KEEPING THE NAME BY CITING ARECENT AP POLL THAT FOUND

THAT 79% OF AMERICANS ARE INFAVOR OF KEEPING THE NAME.

21% WANT THE REDSKINS TOCHANGE IT BUT I BET THOSE

ARE THE SAME PEOPLE WHO WANTTO CHANGE THE NAME OF POTATO

SKINS FOR OFFENDING THEIRISH.

BUT FOLKS, IN AN OPEN LETTERTO FANS SNYDER EXPLAINED I

WAS BORN A FAN OF THEWASHINGTON REDSKINS.

THAT TRADITION, THE SONG,THE CHEER, IT MATTERS SO

MUCH TO ME AS A CHILD.

IT ISN'T JUST WHERE WE CAMEFROM, IT'S WHO WE ARE.

YES, OUR PAST IS WHO WE ARE,WE REDSKIN FANS ARE PRONE TO

THIS LAND SINCE 19-- 33.

NOW STRANGERS THREATEN OURSACRED GROUND WHERE WE FEAST

ON THE FOOD OF OUR ANCESTORS,THE $14 HOT DOG.

AND DON OUR CEREMONIAL DRESS,WIGS AND RUBBER PIG NOSES

THAT SYMBOLIZE OUR PROUDTRADITION OF, I DON'T

ACTUALLY KNOW WHY WE DO THAT.

BUT FOLKS, THIS TRADITION ISBEING ATTACKED AND IT'S NOT

THE ONLY THING TURNING THISBRAIN SCRAMBLING GAME UGLY.

>> THE MIAMI DOLPHINS HAVEINDEFINITELY SUSPENDED A

PLAYER OVER ACCUSATIONS OFBULLYING.

THE DOLPHINS ANNOUNCED THATTHE OFFENSIVE GUARD RICHIE

INCOGNITO SUSPENSION SHORTLYBEFORE MIDNIGHT LAST NIGHT.

JONATHAN MARTIN LEFT THETEAM LAST WEEK AFTER AN

INCIDENT IN THE LUNCHROOMWHERE TEAMMATE ITS

REPORTEDLY GOT UP AND LEFTTHE TABLE AS SOON AS HE SAT

DOWN.

>> I BET THEY ALSO MADE FUNOF HIM FOR WEARING CLOTHES

WITH DOLPHINS ON THEM.

(LAUGHTER)SO I WOULD LIKE TO EXTEND

THE REPORT'S DEEPESTSYMPATHYES TO THE VICTIM,

RICHIE INCOGNITO.

IF ONLY HE HAD A WAY TO HIDEHIS IDENTITY RIGHT NOW.

I MEAN EVER SINCE THIS STORYBROKE, FOLKS, INCOG NILT OWE

HAS BEEN PUSHED AROUND BYTHE KINDNESS CABAL JUST

BECAUSE HE LEFT MARTIN THISVOICE-MAIL.

>> HEY, WAZUP YOU HALF NWORD PIECE OF BLANK.

YOU BEEN TRAINING TEN WEEK,I'LL BLANK IN YOUR BLANK

MOUTH.

I'M GOING TO SLAP YOUR REALMOTHER ACROSS THE FACE,

BLANK YOU.

YOU'RE STILL A ROOKIE.

I'LL KILL YOU.

>> Stephen: PERSONALLY, ITHINK IT'S NICE HE PICKED UP

THE PHONE.

(LAUGHTER)TOO MANY PEOPLE THESE DAYS

JUST TEXT THEIR THREATS TOCRAP IN YOUR MOUTH.

NOW FOLKS, I'M NOT THE ONLYONE PROTECTING RICHIE'S

BLINDSIDE.

HE'S ALSO GOT THE SUPPORT OFFOX NEWS ANALYST AND STAR OF

THE PROBLEM CHILD MOVIEDR. CARL'S CARLSON, JIM?

>> LOOK,�i I'M IN TOTALSYMPATHY WITH ANYBODY

SNUBBED BY ANYBODY ANDAGAINST HUMAN CRUELTY AND

AGAINST BULLYING.

BUT IT A LITTLE ODD THAT THEPURPOSE OF THE GAME IS TO GO

OUT AND KILL PEOPLE BUT YOUGET IN TROUBLE FOR BEING

RUDE TO SOMEONE AT LUNCH.

>> Stephen: HE'S RIGHT,FOOTBALL IS ABOUT MURDERING

PEOPLE.

YOU GET SIX POINTS PER KILLPLUS AN EXTRA POINT IF THEY

TAKE THEIR SEVERED HEADTHROUGH THE UPRIGHT.

AND THERE IS ALSO SOMENONSENSE ABOUT CROSSING A

LINE AND OF WHAT EVER DOWNSARE BUT ONCE PEOPLE STOP

DYING THAT'S WHEN I GORECHEESE MY NACHOS.

FOLKS, DR. CARLSONUNDERSTANDS THIS GETS TO A

DEEPER PROBLEM IN OURSOCIETY.

AND BY THE WAY, LET'S BEHONEST, THIS BULLYING THING,

IT IS A FAD, JUST LIKESELF-ESTEEM, JUST LIKE, YOU

KNOW, LOW CASH DIETS ORWHATEVER T IS MASS HYSTERIA,

WE'RE ALL WORRIED ABOUTBULLYING.

>> Stephen: YEAH, BEINGWORRIED ABOUT BULLYING IS

JUST A FAD LIKE POODLESKIRTS OR SEPARATE WATER

FOUNTAINS, GET OVER IT.

WHAT DOW REALLY WHEN YOUTHINK ABOUT T THIS ISN'T

EVEN BULLYING, IT IS REALLYHAZING.

MARTIN WAS A ROOKIE ANDROOKIES HAVE TO PAY THEIR

DUES.

THEN NEXT YEAR HE HAS THEPRIVILEGE OF THREATENING TO

CRAP IN SOMEONE ELSE'S MOUTH.

IT'S ALL BEING A ROLE MODEL.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> WELCOME BACK, EVEUTHANK YOU SO MUCH.

NATION, I DON'T DO THIS SHOWFOR THE AWARDS, I DO IT FOR

YOU.

WHY DON'T YOU GIVE MEAWARDS.

(LAUGHTER)THERE IS WHO MIGHT BE

HONORING ME�i NEXT NOW FOLKS IDON'T HAVE TO TELL YOU I WON

TWO EMMIES THIS YEAR.

BECAUSE I CAN JUST SHOW YOUINSTEAD.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)SO FOLKS, NOT ENOUGH.

THERE IS STILL A HOLE IN MYHEART THE SHAPE OF ANOTHER

AWARD.

NOW IT LOOKS LIKE I'M THISMUCH CLOSER TO FILLING IT.

JIM?

>> ITS NOMINEES FOR FAVORITELATE NIGHT TALK SHOW HOST

ARE CONAN O'BRIEN.

DAVID LETTERMAN.

JIMMY FALLON.

JIMMY KIMMEM.

AND STEPHEN COLBERT.

THAT'S RIGHT!

I'M NOMINATED FOR A PEOPLE'SCHOICE AWARD.

I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO WINA PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD EVER

SINCE I HEARD THEY STILLEXISTED.

AND NOW FOLKS, MY DREAM MAYCOME TRUE.

I MAY FINALLY TAKE HOME THECOVETED-- I WANT TO SAY

CRYSTAL VAGINA?

I'M NOT SURE WHAT THAT IS,NICE, NICE, WHATEVER IT IS.

FOLKS, I LOVE IT.

BECAUSE THIS IS THE ONLYAWARD CHOSEN BY THE PEOPLE.

FINALLY A SHOW THATCELEBRATES AMERICA'S LIFE OF

LIKING THINGS.

OF COURSE "THE COLBERTREPORT" IS A TEAM EFFORT SO

REALLY THIS NOMINATION ISFOR EVERYONE ON MY STAFF WHO

HOSTS THE SHOW.

(LAUGHTER)AND, AND I'VE GOT SOME STIFF

COMPETITION.

I RESPECT ALL OF THESE GUYS.

MAY THE BEST MAN WIN BUT ASA JOURNALIST, I WOULD BE

REMISS NOT TO TELL YOU ABOUTTHEIR SORDID PAST.

FOR STARTERS THE JIMMIES AREA PERSONAL FRIENDS OF MINE.

BUT DID YOU KNOW THATNEITHER OF THEM IS REALLY

NAMED JIMMY?

BOTH OF THEM WERE BORN JAMES,UH-HUH.

WHAT ELSE ARE THEY LYING TOYOU ABOUT?

AND THERE IS NO GREATER FANOF DAVID LETTERMAN THAT

YOURS TRULY BUT HE KILLSDUCKS IN THE PARK WITH A

TACK HAMMER.

(LAUGHTER)ALLEGEDLY, ALLEGEDLY.

I HAVE NO PROOF OF THAT.

GOOD LUCK, DAVE.

AND CONAN O'BRIEN MAY BE AGREAT GUY BUT HE'S NO FAN OF

PEOPLE.

DOES HE EMPLOY AMASTURBATTING HUMAN?

NO, NOT SINCE MAX WEINBERGLEFT.

WHEREAS I, I STEPHEN COLBERTLIVE SOLELY TO ENTERTAIN THE

PEOPLE.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)NOW FOLKS, YOU SAY STEPHEN,

I'M A PEOPLE, HOW DO ICHOICE.

WELL, FOR THE 2014 ADDrd WAS,FOLK, THE AMERICAN ACADEMY

OF PEOPLING IS ALLOWING TOYOU CAST YOUR VOTES THROUGH

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE WEB SITE,THEIR IPHONE APP OR VIA

SOCIAL MEDIA LIKE FACEBOOKOR TWITTER WHICH MAKES THEM

#RELEVANT.

AND THEY SAY THERE IS VERYIMPORTANT, YOU CAN VOTE AS

OFTEN AS YOU LIKE ANDENCOURAGE YOUR FRIENDS TO

VOTE TOO.

HMMMM, I WONDER IF I HAVEANY FRIENDS I CAN ENCOURAGE

TO VOTE FOR ME?

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)YOU READY TO DO THIS, NATION?

OH, GO TO PEOPLE'SCHOICE.COM AND VOTE FOR ME

IN THE CATEGORY OF FAVORITELATE NIGHT TALK SHOW HOST.

VOTING ENDS DECEMBER 5th BUTPLEASE DO NOT VOTE MORE THAN

6 BILLION TIMES.

THAT MIGHT SEEM SUSPICIOUS.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

>> WELCOME BACK, EVERYBODY,MY GUEST TONIGHT IS AN

PROFESSOR WITH THE NEW BOOKTHE STORY OF THE HUMAN BODY

EVOLUTION, HEALTH ANDDISEASE.

>> I PICKED HEALTH.

>> PLEASE WELCOME DANIELLIEBERMAN.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)HEY, GOOD TO SEE YOU, HOW

ARE YOU, NICE TO SEE YOUAGAIN, DANIEL.

ALL RIGHT.

YOU HAVE BEEN ON THE SHOWBEFORE, TALKED ABOUT

BAREFOOT RUN LAST TIME.

>> YES.

>> IT IS GETTING COLD, IPREFER TO WEAR SOCKS WHEN IT

IS COLD.

I'M JUST GETTING OLD AND THEOLDER YOU GET THE MORE A

CRAVE WARMTH.

>> Stephen: THAT'S ONE OFTHE THINGS THAT MOD HIRNL

DOES THAT OLD HUMANS DIDN'TDO, WE GET OLD, RIGHT.

THAT'S ONE OF THE ADVANTAGESWE HAVE OVER THEM, WE CAN

JUST, IN A FIGHT WE CAN JUSTOUTLAST THEM.

>> THAT'S TRUE.

>> WHAT IS INTERESTING ISTHE HUNTERS GATHERERS, NASTY

MISERABLE LIVES.

>> Stephen: THEY DID.

>> WELL, ACTUALLY, THEHUNTER GATHERERS IF THEY

SURVIVED CHILDHOOD THEY HADPRETTY HIGH CHILDHOOD

MORTALITY RATES BUT IF THEYSURVIVED THEY LIVED TO THEIR

60s, 70s AND 80s AND WEREEXTRAORDINARILY HEALTHY AS

FAR AS WE COULD TELL.

THEY HAD HEART DISEASE.

THEY DIDN'T HAVE TYPE IIDIABETES.

OSTEOPOROSIS.

WE'VE GOT THEM ALL.

>> Stephen: WE GOT THAT ONTHEM.

>> YEAH.

>> Stephen: THEY ONLY HADONE TYPE OF DIABETES.

>> THEY NEVER NEEDEDOBAMACARE.

YEAH, BECAUSE THEY, YOU KNOWWHAT, THEY LIVED PRETTY LONG

AND VERY HEALTHY LIVES.

AND ALTHOUGH THEY DID GETSICK, THEY DIDN'T GET THE

KIND OF CHRONICNONINFECTIOUS DISEASES THAT

WE GET TODAY.

>> Stephen: WELL, EVERYTHINGYOU ARE SAYING, I DON'T HAVE

TO TELL YOU BUT EVERYTHINGARE YOU SAYING IS IN YOUR

NEW BOOK THE STORY OF THEHUMAN BODY, EVOLUTION,

HEALTH AND DISEASE.

IS OUR BODY, ARE OUR BODIESCHANGING NOW.

>> ABSOLUTELY.

>> Stephen: BECAUSE, YOUKNOW, I THOUGHT EVOLUTION

WAS SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST.

>> WELL, TO SOME EXTENT ITIS, YES.

SO EVOLUTION IS, OCCURS INMULTIPLE WAYS.

ONE KIND OF EVOLUTION ISTHAT, NATURAL SELECTION WHAT

DARWIN WROTE ABOUT, THERE ISVARIATION, SOME OF THE

VARIATIONS LIKE YOU PROBABLYLOOK A BIT LIKE YOUR PARENTS

I IMAGINE BECAUSE YOUINHERITED GENES FROM THEM.

AND THEN LOTS OF SIBLINGS,SOME OF YOU INHERITED

DIFFERENT GENES FROM YOURPARENTS THAN OTHER ONES AND

SOME HAD MORE KIDS THANOTHERS.

AND THOSE OF YOU WHO HADGENES THAT BENEFITTED YOU IN

TERMS OF HAVING MOREOFFSPRING, ARE YOU GOING TO

PASS THOSE GENES ONPREFERENTIALALLY TO THE NEXT

GENERATION SO, THAT ISNATURAL SELECTION.

>> Stephen: IF YOU ACCEPTNATURAL SELECTION.

>> EXACTLY.

>> Stephen: BECAUSE IT ISTHE THEORY OF EVOLUTION AND

A ASSUME THAT THIS BOOK ISON THE PRO THEORY SIDE.

>> ABSOLUTELY.

>> Stephen: OKAY.

A LOT OF BOOKS ARE AGAINSTIT, THIS IS ONE-ON-ONE SIDE

THERE ARE A LOT AGAINSTxD IT.

>> AT LEAST I'M ON THE SAMESIDE AS THE POPE SO IT'S

OKAY.

BUT ANYWAY-- .

>> Stephen: YOU'RE NOT GOINGTO WIN ANY POINTS BY TALKING

ABOUT THE POPE WITH ME, OKAY,THAT GUY IS ALSO PRO POOR,

BUT GO AHEAD.

>> THERE IS ANOTHER KIND OFEVOLUTION.

IT'S CULTURAL EVOLUTION.

SO OUR CULTURES�� CHANGE TOO.

LIKE FOR EXAMPLE YOU KNOW,IF YOU HAD BEEN GIVING THERE

SHOW IN THE 17th OR 18thCENTURY YOU WOULD BE WEARING

A REALLY FANTASTIC WIG.

>> Stephen: I WOULD BEBURNED AS A WITCH BECAUSE TV

DIDN'T EXIST BACK THEN.

>> EXACTLY AND SPENDING ALOT OF MONEY ON THAT POWDER

AND THAT KIND OF STUFF.

BUT WE GREW BEYOND THAT WENO LONGER WEAR WIGS, OTHER

THINGS IN OUR CULTURECONSTANTLY CHANGED.

>> Stephen: GAY MARRIAGE.

>> GAY MARRIAGE, EXACTLY.

ALL KINDS OF THINGS ARECHANGE�� AND THOSE CHANGES

AFFECT OUR BODIES, SOME OFTHEM, GAY MARRIAGE OBVIOUSLY

AFFECTS OUR BODIES.

>> Stephen: OBVIOUSLY.

EVER SINCE GAY MARRIAGE ISLEGAL I KEEP GAINING WEIGHT.

>> IT'S LIKE SUGAR.

>> Stephen: IT IS.

TRANSFAT WA, ABOUT OUR DIET,OUR DIET HAS CHANGED.

>> HE NOR LOSELY.

INCREDIBLY SINCEINDUSTRIALIZATION, SO THE

FIRST BIG SHIFT IN OUR DIETWAS REALLY AGRICULTURE

REVOLUTION SO, WE STARTEDGROWING FOOD.

>> Stephen: WHAT ARE WETALKING ABOUT, 1960s?

>> WELL, IT STARTED ABOUT600 GENERATIONS AGO SO.

>> Stephen: WHAT IS THAT,1940s.

>> 1940s, 10,000 YEARSBEFORE THAT.

>> Stephen: 10,000 YEARS AGOWE STARTED GROWING CORN.

>> WELL, YES, IN THE MIDDLEEAST YOU STARTED GROWING

BARLEY AND WHEAT IN CHINARICE AND IN THE NEAR EAST,

IN MESSO AMERICA WE STARTEDGROWING CORN BUT THAT IS

ONLY 6-GENERATIONS AGO THATIS THE NUMBER OF GENERATIONS

OF MISE THAT HAVE LIVED INMY BASEMENT IN THE LAST 100

YEARS.

>> Stephen: WOW, YOU GOT APROBLEM.

>> ACTUALLY, WE DO.

AND I'M CONSTANTLY OUT THEREWITH MY MOUSE TRAPS.

BUT ANYWAY, BUT WHAT HASHAPPENED IS THAT THAT IS

ACTUALLY NOT THATCH TIME.

WE'VE HE VOLUME OFED SINCETHEN.

THERE HAVE BEEN ADAPTATION,FOR EXAMPLE WHEN MY

ANCESTORS AND MAYBE YOURANCESTORS ADAPTIONS TO DRINK

MILK, SO THAT IS A NATURALSELECTION.

BUT-- .

>> Stephen: THEY GOT THATHEAT VISION.

>> YES, WOULDN'T THAT BECOOL.

BUT THE OTHER SIDE OF THECOIN IS THAT THERE IS A LOT

OF CHANGES THAT WE HAVE HADTHAT WHICH WE HAVEN'T

ADAPTED FOR.

AND SO WE GET WHAT WE CALLMISMATCH DISEASE, DISEASES

IN WHICH OUR BODIES AREINADEQUATELY ADAPTED TO THE

MAD EARN WORLD AND SUGAR ISONE OF THE BIGGEST ONES.

WE CANNOT HANDLE FOODS THATHAVE A LOT OF SUGAR.

>> Stephen: BUT EVOLUTIONARILY, DON'T WE CRAVE SUGAR,

ISN'T THAT THE REASON WHY ITTASTES SO GREAT TO US.

>> RIGHT.

>> Stephen: IS EVOLUTIONKILLING US?

>> IN A WAY, IN A WAY IT'SBECAUSE OF EVOLUTION THAT WE

CRAVE SUGAR BECAUSE SUGAR ISFULL OF ENERGY.

AND IF YOU ARE A HUNTERGATHERERER YOU ARE BARELY

SURVIVING IT IS GREAT TOWANT AS MUCH SUGAR AS YOU

CAN, HUNTERS LOVE HONEY,THEY WILL EAT AS MUCH AS

THEY CAN BUT THEY DON'T GETTHAT MUCH.

MOST OF THE FOOD IS A ABOUTAS SWEET AS A CARROT.

>> Stephen: WHAT ABOUTTRANSFATS, DID THEY HAVE

THAT.

>> THEY DON'T HAVE TRANSFATSAS YOU KNOW.

>> Stephen: I DID NOT KNOW,I WOULDN'T HAVE ASKED.

>> TRANSFATS WERE INVENTEDVERY RECENTLY AND OUR BODIES

CANNOT HANDLE THEM.

JUST LYING SUGAR.

>> Stephen: THEY ARE ILLEGALIN NEW YORK, LIKE NEW YORK

CITY THEY CAN'T HAVETRANSFATS.

>> GOOD FOR NEW YORK.

IT WAS THE RIGHT THING TODO.

>> Stephen: ISN'T THATANTI-EVOLUTIONARY BECAUSE IF

WE DON'T EAT THE TRANSFAT WEWON'T KNOW WHO CAN SURVIVE

EATING TRANSFAT TO PASS THATEVOLUTIONARY ADVANTAGE ON TO

OUR CHILDREN, THEN WE WOULDHAVE A SUPERRACE THAT CAN

EAT TRANSFAT.

FANNED WE CAN SURVIVETRANSFATS, NOTHING CAN KILL

US.

>> THE ONLY WAY THAT YOUREXPERIMENT WILL WORK, IF YOU

EVER GET APPROVAL FOR ITWHICH DOUBT, IS, IS IF

EATING TRANSFATS AFFECTEDYOUR ABILITY TO HAVE

OFFSPRING BECAUSE ALLNATURAL SELECTION CARES

ABOUT IS HOW MANY OFFSPRING.

AND MOST OF THE DISEASE YOUGET FROM TRANSFATS DON'T HIT

YOU UNTIL YOU ARE AGRANDPARENT.

>> Stephen: IF WE TOOK AWAYTHE THINGS THAT WERE CAUTION

ME TO BE SICK FROM BEING OLDHOW MUCH OLDER COULD I LIVE.

BECAUSE I WOULD LIKE TO LIVEFOREVER.

>> WE HAVEN'T FIGURED THATONE OUT YET BUT MAYBE

SCIENTISTS IN WHITE LABCOATS WILL DO THAT BUT I

THINK THAT IS UNLIKELY.

>> Stephen: WOULD YOU LIKETO LIVE LONGER.

>> YEAH, PROBABLY.

>> Stephen: HOW LONG WOULDYOU LIKE TO LIVE.

>> I WOULD THINK 92.

THAT'S PERFECT, YEAH.

>> Stephen: I WOULD LIKETHAT TOO.

NOW I WANT TO LIVE 93, TOBEAT�r YOU.

THANK YOU SOME OF FORJOINING ME.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> DANIEL, THE STORY OF THE

>> S THAT IT FOR THE REPORT,EVERYBODY, DON'T FORGET TO

VOTE FOR THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE