April 9, 2014 - Sheryl Sandberg

  • 04/09/2014

An Internet bug causes panic, Andrew Sullivan weighs in on Brendan Eich's resignation from Mozilla, Obama pushes for equal pay, and Sheryl Sandberg talks "Lean In."

>> TONIGHT BIG NEWS FROM THESTECK WORLD, WILL WE FINALLY

LEARN THE PURPOSE OF THENAP.

THEN OBAMA WANTS EQUALITY INTHE WORKPLACE.

THAT MAKES NO SENSE.

WHY WOULD I STARE AT A PAN'SCHEST.

AND MY GUEST FACEBOOK COOSHERYL SANDBERG HAS A NEW

BOOK CALLED LEAN IN FORGRADUATES.

TAKE THAT, PARENTS, WHO TOLDTHEM TO STAND UP STRAIGHT.

HILLARY CLINTON ANNOUNCEDSHE MAY RUN FOR PRESIDENT.

I HAVE NOT BEEN THIS SHOCKEDSINCE MITT ROMNEY ANNOUNCED

HE RAN FOR PRESIDENT.

THIS IS THE COLBERT REPORT

>> Stephen: WELCOME TO THEREPORT, EVERYBODY.

I'LL BE WITH YOU IN A SECOND.

>> STEPHEN, STEPHEN,STEPHEN!

STEPHEN, STEPHEN, STEPHEN!

STEPHEN, STEPHEN, STEPHEN!

STEPHEN, STEPHEN, STEPHEN!

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)ALL RIGHT, THANK YOU SO MUCH.

I'M SORRY, NATION, I'LL BEWITH YOU IN A MOMENT.

I'LL BE RIGHT THERE, FOLKS.

I JUST HAVE TO-- SORRY,FOLKS.

I'LL DO IT IN A MOMENT.

I JUST-- (CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

I'M JUST DESPERATELY TRYINGTO SECURE MY DATA, FOLKS,

YOU SEE, LIKE YOU.

I'M IN A DEEP PANIC BECAUSEWE ARE FACING THE GREATEST

SECURITY BRIEF IN INTERNETHISTORY.

>> A MAJOR SECURITY THREATMAKING LOTS OF PEOPLE WHO

USE THE INTERNET A NEW BUGAFFECTING TWO-THIRDS OF ALL

MAJOR WEB SITES.

AND IT ALLOWS THEM TO STEALTHEIR PERSONAL DATA, CALLED

HEART BLEED.

>> IT WAS UNDISCOVERED FORMORE THAN TWO YEARS AND

ANYTHING SENT DURING THATTIME HAS POTENTIALLY BEEN

COMPROMISED DURING THAT TIME.

>> YOUR PERSONAL DATA IS NOTCOMPROMISED UNLESS YOU'RE

ONE OF THOSE TECHIES WHO USETHE INTERNET IN THE LAST TWO

YEARS.

>> SO YOU ARE TOTALLY SAYINGTED KACZYNSKI AND OLD

JAPANESE HER HIT LIVING IN AJUNGLE THINKING WORLD WAR II

IS STILL GOING ON.

YOU SEE, THE BUG, HEARTBLEED POTENTIALLY EXPOSES

PASSWORDS, CREDIT-CARDNUMBERS AND THE CONTENTS OF

YOUR E-MAILS.

CALL ME NAIVE BUT I THOUGHTTHAT WAS THE KIND OF PRIVATE

INFORMATION THAT WAS BETWEENME AND THE NSA.

FOLKS, I CANNOT BELIEVE IT.

THE INTERNET WAS SUPPOSED TOBE A LAWLESS FRONTIER WHERE

ALL OF HUMANNITIES DESIRESAN VICES PERJURIED INTO A

ROYALLY COLLECTED ID HELD INCHECK BY A BARELY REGULATED

TECHNICAL ABSTRACTIONS IDON'T UNDERSTAND.

HOW DID THAT GET OUT OFCONTROL?

AND WE'RE ALL POTENTIALVICTIMS HERE.

I COULD HAVE BEEN SCAMMED BYANY ONE OF MY MOST TRUSTED

SITES.

REAL GULL BARRIAN IVORY.COM.

NONDESCRIPT POWDER.ORG EVENPURE SILVER MORTGAGE

TEAM.HAITI.BIZ OR THE SITEWHERE I FOUND ALL THOSE,

YAHOO! MAIL.

(LAUGHTER)BUT NATION, YOU CAN STILL

PROTECTION YOUR-- PROTECTYOURSELFS FROM HEART BLEED

WITH THIS ONE WEIRD TRICK.

>> SECURITY EXPERTS SAYINTERNET USERS SHOULD CHANGE

ALL OF THEIR PASSWORDS.

>> OH, ALREADY ON IT.

I DON'T WANT TO BRAG BUT MYSECURITY GUY E-MAILED ME AS

SOON AS THIS BROKE.

NOT ONLY IS HE A TECH EXPERTHE'S ALSO THE RIGHTFUL HEIR

TO A OIL FORTUNE.

TOLD ME I NEEDED AN EXTRASECURE PASSWORD.

HE SUGGESTED THE FIRST 16DIGITS OF MY CREDIT CARD

FOLLOWED BY THE LAST NINEDIGITS OF MY SOCIAL SECURITY

NUMBER.

THERE YOU GO.

AND NOW TO DOUBLE THEENCRYPTION BY A TACHING A

HIGH RESOLUTION SCAN OF MYSIGNATURE, AND THE OUTLINE

OF MY HOUSE KEY.

THERE YOU GO.I WILL SLEEP WELL TONIGHT.

OF COURSE, HEART BLEED ISN'TTHE ONLY SCANDAL IN THE

WORLD OF TECH.

THERE IS ALSO THE BLEEDSINGHEARTS BECAUSE THE LEFT WING

LOUD MOUTHS HAVE NOWDESTROYED THE REPUTATION OF

MY GOOD FRIEND TECH PIONEERBRENDAN EICH.

I LIKE EICH.

IN FACT I HAVE BEEN CALLEDSOMETHING OF AN EICHMAN.

YOU PROBABLY KNOW EICH ASTHE CREATOR OF JAVASCRIPT

UNLESS YOU HAVE A GIRLFRIEND.

TWO WEEKS AGO-- TWO WEEKSAGO BRENDAN EICH WAS NAMED

C.E.O. OF MOZILLA KNOWN FORHIS OPEN SOURCE WEB BROWSER

FIREFOX.

NO, I DON'T WANT TO UPDATERIGHT NOW.

I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF MYSHOW.

JIMMY, PLEASE.

THANK YOU, JIM.

AS SOON AS EICH GOT THE JOBA REPORT SURFACED THAT IN

2008 HE DONATED 1,000 TOSUPPORT A CALIFORNIA PROP 8

WHICH OUTLAWED SAME-SEXMARRIAGE.

SO GAY INTERNET ACTIVISTSFOR LGBTHTTP GOT MORE THAN

70,000 PEOPLE TO SIGN APETITION ASKING EICH TO

RESIGN AND THE DATINGSERVICE OK-CUPID BLOCKED

FIREFOX ON ITS WEB SITELEAVING MANY OF ITS USERS TO

TEXT GOOGLE CHROME, WHAT?

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> FACED WITH IN BOY ON

BOYCOTT, EICH RESIGNEDBECAUSE WHEN GAY PEOPLE WANT

SOMEONE TO RESIGN, HE'S OUTIN A WEEK.

BUT WHEN I WANT SOMEONE TORESIGN IT'S ALWAYS OH, I WAS

ELECTED OR I'M THE VOICE OFGOD, OR SIR, FOR THE LAST

TIME ONLY MEMBERS OF THEGEEK SQUAD ARE ALLOWED BACK

HERE.

THANKFULLY, MY GOOD FRIENDAT FOX NEWS BLEW THIS STORY

INTO PROPORTION.

>> WE SHOULD ALL BE VERYAFRAID.

>> WHY DOES A GUY HAVE TOLEAVE A DREAM JOB FOR

VOICING HIS OPINION.

>> SO MUCH FOR FREE SPEECH.

>> SOME OF FOR FREE SPEECH.

>> SO.

NOR TOLERANCE.

>> THEY SAY THEY ARETOLERANCE RANT BUT THEY ARE

NOT.

>> THEY SAY TOTALITARIANDISCOURSE AND IT SHOWS A

LEVEL INTOLERANCE THAT ISABSOLUTELY, IT SHOULD BE

UNACCEPTABLE.

>> THIS IS THE IRONY, ISN'TIT.

PEOPLE PUNISHING SOMEONE INTHE NAME OF TOLERANCE.

IT COMES FROM A FASCISTSOCIETY.

IT IS A SHAME THAT IT IS THEGAY COMMUNITY, AT LEAST THE

GAY ESTABLISHMENT THAT ISLEARNING HOW TO GOOSESTEP AT

THIS POINT.

>> YES, THE GAYS AREGOOSESTEPPING.

WE ALL REMEMBER WHEN HITLERCIRCULATED THAT PETITION

ASKING FOR POLAND TO RESIGNAFTER IT PREVENTED HIM FROM

MARRYING EVAN BRAUN.

FOLKS, A MAN HAS JUST LOSTHIS JOB FOR TRYING TO BAN

SAME-SEX MARRIAGE.

MEANWHILE, THERE ARE ONLY 29STATES LEFT WHERE I CAN

STILL FIRE SOMEONE FOR BEINGGAY.

I MEAN I HAD TO TAKE ALL MYGAY EMPLOYEES ON A BUSINESS

TRIP TO ALABAMA JUST TO CANTHEM.

AND THE NEXT THING YOU KNOW,THE NEXT THING YOU KNOW, I

WILL BE FORCED INTO THECLOSET FOR MY BELIEFS.

EVERY WHERE I GO PEOPLEASSUME I'M OKAY WITH GAY

MARRIAGE BUT I WILL KNOW INMY HEART THAT THAT IS NOT

WHO I AM.

AND NO ONE CAN EVER MAKE MEBELIEVE IT GETS BETTER,

BECAUSE FRANKLY, THINGS AREPRETTY GREAT FOR ME RIGHT NOW.

HERE TO PERSECUTE ME FURTHERIS BLOGGER, FOUNDER OF THE

DISH AND A MAN WHO IS A GAY,SO HE'S OBVIOUSLY IN

FAVOURING OF FIRING BRENDANEICH.

MR. ANDREW SULLIVAN.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR COMINGBACK.

OKAY, ANDREW, LET'S HAVETELEPHONE.

YOUR SIDE WON, LET'S HAVEYOUR END ZONE DACHBLTS YOU

GOT THE SCALP OF BRENDANEICH, GO?

>> WELL, FORGIVE ME, I'M NOTGOING QUITE GLOCHLT I

ACTUALLY THINK WE HAVE COMEA LONG WAY ON GAY RIGHTS

BECAUSE OPEN, TOLERANCE,PERSUADED PEOPLE BY REASON

AND HAVEN'T JUMPED DOWNEVERYBODY'S VOTES WHO

DISAGREED WITH US AND CALLTHEM A BIGOT AND GET THEM

FIRED.

I JUST DON'T LIKE THAT KINDOF TEN OR AND THAT IMPULSE

SO PUNISH PEOPLE THE THINGSTHAT THEY SER SIN VEERLY

BELIEVE.

-- SINCERELY BELIEVE.

LAUGH LATCH LAUGH-- (LAUGHTER)

>> YOU HAVE LOST ME HERE,YOU'VE LOST ME HERE FOR A

SECOND IS THAT SOME KIND OFGAY CODE THAT I'M TO THE

GETTING?

OR SOMETHING?

HOW YOU CAN-- HOW YOU CANNOT,HOW YOU CAN-- YOU'RE GAY

MARRIED.

>> I AM VERY GAY MARRIED.

>> THAT GUY DIDN'T WANT YOUTO BE ABLE TO BE GAY MARRIED

AND YOU STILL THINK PEOPLEWITHOUT SUPPORT GAY MARRIAGE

SHOULD STILL DO BUSINESSWITH HIM.

>> NOT IF THEY DON'T WANTTO.

BUT I THINK WHEN PEOPLE AREFORCED TO RESIGN, WHEN

PEOPLE START LOSING THEIRJOBS, WHEN PEOPLE IN THE

WORKPLACE ESPECIALLY AREUNDER THREAT, WILL FEEL

THREATENED, THE THINGS THEYDO COMPLETELY OUTSIDE THE

WORKPLACE, THEIR POLITICALVIEWS, IN CALIFORNIA IF YOU

ACTUALLY FIRED SOMEONE FORPOLITICAL VIEW YOU

DISAPPROVED OF, IT WOULD BEAGAINST THE LAW.

IN OTHER WORDS, YOU DON'TWANT TO BRING THIS KIND OF

POLITICAL WARFARE INTO THEWORKPLACE.

YOU'VE GOT TO BE ABLE TO GETALONG WITH PEOPLE WHO

SINCERELY, PASSIONATELY YOUDISAGREE WITH.

>> NO, WE DON'T, NO, NO(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> NO!

LOOK, LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE.

LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE.

YOU'VE DONE SOMETHING WORSETHAN MAKE MY AUDIENCE GAY,

YOU'VE MADE THEM REASONABLE.

OKAY.

BUT LISTEN, I LIVE MY LIFEBY A POLICY, SOMEONE

DISAGREED WITH ME, I PUT MYHEAD ON A SPIKE AND I SAY

THIS WAS MY ENEMY.

NOW I HAVE HIS HEAD.

ISN'T THAT THE WAY YOU GUYSGOT YOUR GAY RIGHTS.

ARIZONA INTRODUCES SOME LAWABOUT GAY MARRIAGE, BOYCOTT

ARIZONA.

COME ON, YOU CAN'T TELL MEYOU GUYS DIDN'T USE REAL

MUSCLE.

>> NO, TOTALLY BOYCOTTS ANDSOCIAL PRESSURE ARE FINE.

WHERE I DRAW THE LINE ISWHEN WE START TARGETING

INDIVIDUALS FOR PUNISHMENTOR CALLING THEM HERETIC OR

BIGOTS OR HATERS WITHOUTGIVING THEM THE CHANCE TO

REALLY EXPLAIN THEMSELVES,TO TALK AND ASSESS THEY ARE

REASONABLE HUMAN BEINGS THATMIGHT HAVE COME TO THIS

CONCLUSION FOR GOOD REASON.

NOW LOOK, I THINK WE HAVEACTUALLY PERSUADE PEOPLE, WE

HAVE MADE ARGUMENTS.

AND I DON'T THINK THATEVERYBODY TODAY DIDN'T

SUPPORT SAME SEX MARRIAGE ISA HATEFUL BIGOT.

I DON'T.

I THINK A THIRD OF THECOUNTRY HAVE CHANGED THEIR

MIND WERE THEY ALL BIGOTSTEN YEARS AGO.

I THINK BARACK OBAMA CHANGEDHIS MIND.

WAS HE A BIGOT IN 2009.

OF COURSE NOT.

>> HE'S A BIGOT NOW.

(LAUGHTER)>> YOU KNOW WHAT, I, I-- I

MAY-- I MAY NOT AGREE WITHWHAT YOU SAY BUT I WILL

FIGHT TO THE DEATH FOR MYRIGHT TO HAVE YOU FIRED FOR

SAYING IT.

ANDREW, THANK YOU SO MUCH.ANDREW SULLIVAN, WE'LL BE RIGHTBACK.

>> WELCOME BACK, EVERYBODY,THANKS SO MUCH.

NATION, I DON'T THINK IT'SANY SECRET.

I HOPE EVERYBODY OUT THEREKNOWS IT.

I AM A HUGE VAN OF WOMEN.

BUT I DON'T FEEL-- I DON'TFEEL I NEED TO PANDER TO

THEM.

THEY'RE TOO SMART FOR THAT,ISN'T THAT RIGHT, LADIES?

>> WHOOO!

>> SADLY, OUR COPANDER INCHIEF SPENT YESTERDAY

KISSING UP TO WOMEN ONSOMETHING CALLED EQUAL

PAYDAY, JIM?

>> TODAY THE AVERAGEFULL-TIME WORKING WOMAN

EARNED JUST 77 CENTS FOREVERY DOLLAR A MAN EARNS,

EQUAL PAYDAY MEANS THAT AWOMAN HAS TO WORK ABOUT THIS

FAR INTO 2014 TO EARN WHAT AMAN EARNS IN 2013.

>> JUST TO GET THE SAMEAMOUNT OF PAY, WOMEN'S WORK

YEAR IS THREE MONTHS LONGER.

BUT GOOD NEWS, IF YOU ARE 38YEARS OLD, FINANCIALLY YOU

ARE JUST 29.

AN-- (LAUGHTER)

>> THE PRESIDENT-- THEPRESIDENT DIDN'T JUST TALK

IN FRONT OF WOMEN.

DE SOMETHING FOR THEM.

>> THE PRESIDENT OBAMA WILLSIGN TWO EXECUTIVE ORDERS AT

CLOSING THE PAY GAP BETWEENMEN AND WOMEN AND GIVING

WOMEN MORE INFORMATION.

SALARY TRANSPARENTSY SO THEYKNOW IF THEY'RE BEING PAID

FAIRLY.

>> HEY, THERE'S ALREADYPLENTY OF TRANSPARENCY THAT

IS WHY IT IS CALLED THEGLASS CEILING.

YOU DON'T WANT TO-- YOUDON'T WANT TO STAND ON THAT

THING IN A SKIRT.

BESIDES, OBAMA IS A BIG FATHIP SCRIPT.

>> ONE STUDY FOUND THEMEDIAN SALARIES FOR FEMALE

STAFFERS AT THE WHITE HOUSEIS 88 CENTS FOR EVERY DOLLAR

A MALE STAFFER EARNED.

(LAUGHTER)>> AND I HEARD ONE WOMAN IN

THE WHITE HOUSE DOESN'T GETPAID AT ALL.

IN FACT, SHE HAS BEEN FORCEDTO GROW HER OWN FOOD.

IT'S SAD.

FOLKS, I TELL YOU, THIS ISNOTHING, THIS IS ABSOLUTELY

NOTHING.

(APPLAUSE)>> THIS IS NOTHING BUT A

CHEAP POLITICAL STUNT TOCOURT WOMEN VOTERS BY

RESPONDING TO THEIRCONCERNS.

IT IS SHAMEFUL.

AND THE TV AGREES.

>> IT'S ALSO CLEARLY ABOUTPOLITICS, IN NOVEMBER AS

DEMOCRATS TRY TO PUTREPUBLICANS ON DEFENSE WITH

FEMALE VOTERS.

>> THIS HAS NOTHING DO DOWITH IMPROVING THE SITUATION

OF WOMEN IN THE WORKPLACE.

>> THE PRESIDENT IS JUSTHOPING THAT THE 30,000 THAT

THE PEOPLE WILL TAKE HOMEWILL BE ALL RIGHT,

REPUBLICANS ARE AGAINSTEQUAL PAY FOR WOMEN AND

PRESIDENT OBAMA IS FOR IT.

>> GREAT POINT PAN TEROUSAND YOU KNOW FOX DOESN'T PAY

HER ANY LESS BECAUSE SHE ISA WOMAN.

THEY PAY HER LESS BECAUSELESS A A BRUNET. WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

>> WELCOME BACK, EVERYTHING,MY GUEST TONIGHT IS

FROM-- PLEASE WELCOME SHERYLSANDBERG.

HEY, THANK YOU SO MUCH FORCOMING ON.

>> THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME.

>> ALL RIGHT, ARE YOU THECOO OF FACEBOOK.

BEFORE THAT YOU WORKED FORGOOGLE, WERE CHIEF OF STAFF

AT THE TREASURY DEPARTMENT,AN ECONOMIST AT THE WORLD

BANK.

YOU ARE ALSO A BEST SELLINGAUTHOR AND FOUNDER OF

LEANIN.ORG AND YOU GOT A NEWBOOK CALLED LEANIN FOR

GRADUATES.

>> UH-HUH.

>> Stephen: OKAY.

FIRST OF ALL, TELL ME, IHEAR A LOT ABOUT THIS LEANIN

THING.

OKAY.

CAN ANYBODY LEAN-IN OR DOONLY WOMEN LEAN-IN?

>> ANYONE CAN LEAN-IN.

ANYONE.

AND WE LIKE IT WHEN MEN DOIT AS WELL.

>> HOW-- DO MEN AND WOMENLEAN-IN DIFFERENTLY?

>> WELL, THEY LEAN-IN FORTHE SAME REASON, MAYBE

DIFFERENT.

THEY LEAN-IN TO CREATE ABETTER WORLD WHICH SHOULD BE

A MORE EQUAL WORLD.

ONE WHERE WOMEN RAN HALF OURCOMPANIES AND MAN RAN HALF

OUR HOMES.

AND SO THEY EACH HAVE THEIRPART TO PLAY.

>> Stephen: ALL RIGHT.

NOW I READ A STUDY WHERE THEMORE HOUSEWORK MEN DO, THE

LESS SEX THEY HAVE.

>> SO THAT STUDY IS BASED ONA 1996 STUDY.

AND IT'S VERY OUT OF DATE.

HERE IS WHAT THE DATA SHOWS.

THE DATA SAYS THAT IF YOUSHARE CHORES MORE EVENLY

WHICH DOESN'T REALLY HAPPENNOW BUT COULD, YOU ARE

HAPPIERIER, IF ARE YOUHAPPIER YOU HAVE MORE SEX.

I TELL MEN IN YOU WANT MORESEX WITH YOUR WIFE, DON'T

BUY FLOWERS, DO LAUNDRY ANDTHIS WORKS.

>> Stephen: ISN'T THERE ADANGER I WILL END UP HAVING

SEX WITH THE MADE THOUGH?

>> I DON'T THINK SO.

>> Stephen: OKAY.

>> THIS WORKS.

>> Stephen: I'M ALL FORWOMEN WORKING.

I LOVE WOMEN WORKING.

I HAVE WOMEN WHO WORK HERE TTHEY ARE FANTASTIC.

YOU WORK.

>> I DO.

>> Stephen: SO-- BUT WHATABOUT THE OLD THING I WAS

TOLD YOU KNOW I READ, YOUKNOW, I DIDN'T READ.

I HEARD, I HEARD THAT WOMENCAN'T HAVE IT ALL.

HOW DO THEY HAVE IT ALL.

WHAT ABOUT HAVING THEBABIES.

BECAUSE MEN THROUGH NO FAULTOF OUR OWN HAVE NO WOMB.

OKAY.

I'VE TRIED.

>> THAT'S RIGHT.

SO WE TELL WOMEN THEY CAN'THAVE IT ALL.

AND BY THAT MEAN THEY CAN'TWORK AND HAVE KIDS BUT

NASS'S ABSURD BECAUSE 70% OFMOTHERS IN OUR ECONOMY WORK

AND HAVE TO WORK.

AND SO THEY ARE GOING TOWORK AND HAVE KIDS.

AND THE WAY WE CAN GET THATTO WORK OUT IS IF WHEN WOMEN

ARE COMING INTO THEWORKFORCE, LIKE WE TRY TO

ADVISE IN THIS BOOK, THEYCAN REACH, GET THE RIGHT

JOBS, GET PAID THE SAME ASMEN.

>> Stephen: CONGRATULATIONSON EQUAL PAYDAY, BY THE WAY.

>> YEAH.

>> THANK YOU.

YOU KNOW, WOMEN COME INTOTHE WORKFORCE, COME INTO THE

WORKFORCE AND THEY MAKE LESSTHAN MEN.

AND PART OF THE REASON ISTHAT THEY CAN'T NEGOTIATE AS

EFFECTIVELY BECAUSE WHEN AMAN NEGOTIATES, WE THINK HE

SHOULD BE LOOKING OUT FORHIMSELF.

WHEN A WOMAN DOES-- .

>> Stephen: HELL YA, WE PUTOUR BALLS OUT THERE ON THE

TABLE.

I'M ALL IN, PUT THEM ON THEBELT.

>> THAT'S RIGHT, A NEW KINDOF LEANING IN, BUT WHEN A

WOMEN NEGOTIATES SHE PAYS APENALTIES.

>> Stephen: WHAT IS THEPENALTY.

>> THEY'RE NOT LIKED.

WHEN THEY ADVOCATE FORTHEMSELVES AND IF THEY ARE

NOT LIKED THEY DON'T GET THERAISES AND PROMOTIONS SO

THERE A CHAPTER IN THE NEWBOOK FROM A COMPENSATION

EXPERT AND SHE TEACHES WOMENHOW TO NEGOTIATE SO COMMUNAL

LANGUAGE.

EXPLAIN WHY THE SALARY AREYOU LOOKING FOR IS NOT JUST

IMPORTANT FOR YOU, BUT ITWILL HELP YOU DO A BETTER

JOB TO THE ORGANIZATION.

>> Stephen: SPEAKING OFWOMEN NOT LOOKING OUT FOR

THEMSELVES AND NOT THINKINGTHEY CAN STAND UP FOR

THEMSELVES, SU HAVE APROBLEM WITH ITS WORD BOSSI.

>> WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITHTHE WORD BOSS, SOME PEOPLE

ARE BOSSI.

>> YEAH, WELL, THAT WORD ISUSED LOT MORE WITH -- IT IS

GETTING AT A VERY REALPROBLEM WHICH IS THAT BY

JUNIOR HIGH MORE GIRLS, POREBOYS WANT TO LEAD THAN

GIRLS.

AND WHEN YOU ASK THEM WHY,THEY DON'T WANT TO BE CALLED

BOSSI.

AND SO WE PUT OUT A SERIESOF LEADERSHIP TIPS FOR

PARENTS HOW ALL OF US TREATOUR SONS AND DAUGHTERS

EQUALLY.

AND FOR GIRLS BECAUSE IF WEWANT EQUAL REPRESENTATION AT

THE TABLE WHERE DECISIONSARE MADE, WE NEED TO

ENCOURAGE LEADERSHIP AND WENEED TO START YOUNG DOING.

>> Stephen: BUT ISN'T, YOUKNOW, TELLING PEOPLE WHAT

WORDS NOT TO SAY KIND OFPUSHY?

>> OR EVEN BOSSI.

>> Stephen: OH, I WOULDNEVER SAY BOSSI.

>> NEVER SAY BOSSI.

>> Stephen: BECAUSE SOMEONEMIGHT BITE MY HEAD OFF.

>> WELL, THIS GOES WAYBEYOND A WORD AND IT'S

REALLY ABOUT SYSTEMICENCOURAGEMENT OF LITTLE

GIRLS AND I THINK ISSOMETHING WE CAN CHANGE.

>> Stephen: I HAVE WOMEN INMY WIFE.

I HAVE A DAUGHTER.

HOW I DO ENCOURAGE HER TOLEAN IN.

SHE'S IN THE A GRADUATE YETBUT HOW DO I ENCOURAGE HER.

>> SO BY JUNIOR HIGH PARENTSHAVE HIGHER ASPIRATIONS IN

TERMS OF LEADERSHIP FORTHEIR SONS THAN THEIR

DAUGHTERS, SO WHEN THEY TALKTO THEIR SONS ABOUT THEIR

FUTURE, THEY ASK THEM, LIKEHOW ARE YOU GOING TO CHANGE

THE WORLD, BIGGER QUESTIONS,WITH THE DAUGHTERS THEY

DON'T ASK THE SAMEQUESTIONS.

ASK THE SAME QUESTIONS LOOKAT YOUR DAUGHTER AND SAY HOW

ARE YOU GOING TO LEAN N WHATDO YOU WANT TO BE DIFFERENT.

>> Stephen: WHY DO I HAVE TOUSE THE NAME OF YOUR BOOK.

>> YOU DON'T, YOU DON'T.

THAT'S OPTIONAL.

IT'S OPTIONAL.

>> Stephen: S THIS'SINCREDIBLE.

MARKETING.

YOU JUST DID, IT WASAMAZING.

>> BUT THAT'S PART'SOPTIONAL BUT THE AMBITION IS

NOT OPTIONAL.

BECAUSE WE WANT TOENGRAIN-- EMBRACE AM BILLS.

NEXT TIME YOU SEE SOMEONECALL A LITTLE GIRL BOSSI

WALK UP TO THEM AND SAY THATLITTLE GIRL IS NOT BOSSI

THAT LITTLE GIRL HASEXECUTIVE LEADERSHIP SKILLS.

>> Stephen: SO GET OFF, GETOFF THE SEA SAW, IT'S HER

TURN.

>> OR SHARE THE SEESAWBECAUSE WILL YOU MAKE BETTER

DECISIONS TOGETHER.

WHEN WOMEN ARE AT THE TABLEMAKING DECISIONS WITH MEN, I

KNOW THAT IS HARD TO IMAGINE,BUT THE DECISIONS ARE

BETTER.

>> Stephen: WE'RE DOINGRIGHT NOW.

>> RIGHT NOW, HERE WE ARE.

>> Stephen: ARE YOU AT MYTABLE RIGHT NOW.

WE'RE SHARING OUR TABLE ANDWE'RE CHANGING THE WORLD ONE

WORD AT A TIME.

>> AND I APPRECIATE THATSSES YOU'RE WELCOME.

BUT YOU DIDN'T NEED MYPERMISSION, YOU COULD HAVE

COME AND DONE MY SHOWWITHOUT ASKING.

>> REALLY?

>> Stephen: YEAH, THIS ISYOUR TABLE TOO.

THINK ANY TIME.

>> THANK YOU.

>> Stephen: ANY TIME YOUWANT TO COME BACK AND IF YOU

CAN GET PAST SECURITY, AREYOU ABSOLUTELY-- SHERYL

SANDBERG, LEAN IN, FORGRADUATES. WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

>> THAT'S IT THE FOR THEREPORT, EVERYBODY, GOOD

NIGHT.