February 10, 2014 - Patrick Kennedy

  • 02/10/2014

The Sochi Olympics open with a technical glitch, Buddy Cole investigates Russia's anti-gay laws, the Taliban captures a spy dog, and Patrick Kennedy discusses Project SAM.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> Stephen: WELCOME TO THE

REPORT, , THANK YOU SO MUCH.

>> STEPHEN, STEPHEN,STEPHEN!

STEPHEN, STEPHEN, STEPHEN!

STEPHEN, STEPHEN, STEPHEN!

STEPHEN, STEPHEN, STEPHEN!

>> Stephen: THANK YOU,LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

WELCOME TO THE REPORT.

GOOD TO YOU HAVE WITH US!

NATION, IF YOU'VE BEENWATCHING THE NEWS, YOU KNOW

THAT THE SOCHI OLYMPIC GAMESARE IN FULL SWING AND

EVERYBODY HAS GOT OLYMPICFEVER.

ALTHOUGH IT MIGHT JUST BETHE POISONOUS HOTEL WATER.

NOW I SPENT ALL WEEKENDWATCHING FIGURE SKATING.

I LOVE ALL THE MOVES, THETRIPLE SALCHOW, THE DOUBLE

AXLE, THE SHOELESS JOEJACKSON, ALL OF THEM.

FRIDAY, MY FRIEND, VLADIMIRPUTIN'S GAMES KICKED OFF

WITH A STUNNING OPENINGCEREMONY, IT WENT THROUGH

ALL OF RUSSIAN HISTORYINCLUDING THE GIANT CAT

INVASION.

I GOT TO SAY, I ONLY HAD ONECRITICISM.

YOU DO THE HISTORY OF RUSSIAAND NO GIANT INFLATABLE

REAGAN KNOCKING DOWN ABERLIN WALL.

COME ON.

BUT NO SURPRISE, FOLKS.

THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA HAD TOFIND THE PROBLEM.

>> THE MOST GLARING SNAFUCAME DURING THE SHOWCASE

MOMENT OF THE OPENINGCEREMONY, THOSE FIVE

DESCENDING SNOW FLAKES WERESUPPOSED IT TO MELD INTO

OLYMPIC RINGS.

BUT THE FIFTH ONE ON THERIGHT MALFUNCTIONED.

>> Stephen: NO, IT DID NOTMALFUNCTION.

IT IS JUST THAT THE IOC ISSO LITIGIOUS THAT EVEN THE

OLYMPICS ARE NOT ALLOWED TOSHOW THE OLYMPIC LOGO.

(LAUGHTER)AND CHECK YOUR FACTS--

(APPLAUSE)>> Stephen: CHECK YOUR FACTS,

EVERYBODY, THAT'S A FACT.

IN WRITING.

>> THESE SPOILED JOURNALISTSNEED TO QUIT TALKING ABOUT

THE U.S. BOBSLEDDER WHO GOTSTUCK IN THE HOTEL BATHROOM

AND HAD TO BREAK THROUGH THEDOOR.

OKAY, THAT'S JUST BONUSSTRENGTH TRAINING.

(LAUGHTER)NOW OUR GUYS WILL BE

PREPARED TO BUST THROUGH ANYDOORS ON THE BOBSLED TRACK.

(LAUGHTER)ALL OLYMPICS HAVE LAST

MINUTE CONSTRUCTION ISSUES.

ON THE PLUS SIDE, THISYEAR'S BIATHELON COMBINED

CROSS-COUNTRY SKIING WITHHANGING DRYWALL.

THAT'S A FIRST.

(LAUGHTER)BUT NATION, YOU KNOW, IT'S

NOT ONLY THE MEDIA ATTACKINGTHESE OLYMPIC GAMES.

THEY'RE ALSO UNDER THREATFROM EXTREMIST TERROR GROUP

THE GAYS.

(LAUGHTER)NOW LAST YEAR PRESIDENT

PUTIN TOOK A HARD LINEAGAINST THIS THREAT BY

BANNING ALL GAY PROPAGANDA.

PROTESTORS CAN NOW FACE JAILTIME PROMOTING ANYTHING PRO

GAY FROM A PRIDE FLAG TO ARECLAIMED BARN WOOD COFFEE

TABLE.

(LAUGHTER)BIG SURPRISE, THE GAYS

AREN'T TAKING THIS LYINGDOWN, OR MAYBE THEY ARE, I

DON'T KNOW.

IT'S NOT MY SCENE.

(LAUGHTER)NOW, NOW THEY ARE

THREATENING TO RUIN THESOCHI GAMES.

>> GAY RIGHTS PROTESTORSRALLIED IN 20 CITIES AGAINST

RUSSIA'S ANTI-GAY LAW, THEYWANT OLYMPIC SPONSORS TO

SPEAK OUT AGAINST RUSSIALAWS THAT RESTRICT GAY

RIGHTS ACTIVITY.

>> NEW YORK, YOU HAD ANUMBER OF GAY ACT VISES

PROTESTING OUTSIDE THERUSSIAN CONSULATE UPSET

WITH THE ANTI-GAY LAWS INRUSSIA AND THEY POURED A RED

LIQUID LABLED VAMPIRE BLOODTO MAKE THEIR POINT.

>> Stephen: UNFORTUNATELY NOONE COULD TELL WHAT THAT

POINT WAS.

(LAUGHTER)SOMETHING ABOUT TRUE BLOOD

BEING CANCELLED?

I DON'T-- (LAUGHTER)

ANYWAY, IN SUPPORT OFAL-GAYDA PRESIDENT OBAMA

NAMED THREE OPENLY GAYATHLETES TO LEAD OUR OLYMPIC

DELEGATION WHICH THE HUMANRIGHTS CAMPAIGN GLOATED WAS

A FINGER IN THE EYE OFRUSSIAN PRESIDENT VLADIMIR

PUTIN, A FINGER IN THE EYE.

OR AS LESBIANS CALL IT,SCISSORING.

(LAUGHTER)OF COURSE, OH YEAH, OH NO,

IT'S UGLY BUSINESS.

OF COURSE, FOUR YEARS AGO ISAVED THE WINTER GAMES WHEN

I SPONSORED THE U.S. SPEEDSKATING TEAM AND DID A WEEK

OF SHOWS FROM VANCOUVER.

WELL, NATION, I AM GOINGBACK TO THE OLYMPICS.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)IS SOMETHING I WOULD SAY IF

THEY WEREN'T IN RUSSIA.

(LAUGHTER)I CAN'T DO THAT.

I CAN'T DO THAT.

I CAN'T LEARN RUSSIAN.

IT WAS HARD ENOUGH LEARNINGCANADIAN.

I MEAN, TORE-ON-TO.

TORE-ON-TO.

IT'S A TONAL LANGUAGE.

I JUST CAN'T MASTER IT.

BUT FOLKS, I DO KNOW ONE MANWHO CAN COVER THIS GAY

THREAT LIKE NO ONE ELSE,PLEASE WELCOME MY OLD FRIEND

AND LONG TIME COLBERT REPORTPRODUCER, BUDDY COLE.

BUDDY, GREAT TO HAVE YOUHERE.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> Stephen: GOOD TO SEE YOU,

MY FRIEND.

>> GREAT TO BE HERE,STEPHEN.

>> Stephen: NOW BUDDY, FOLKS,FOR THOSE THAT DON'T KNOW,

BUDDY AND I GO WAY BACK.

WE MET AT THEATRE CAMP WHEREHE HAD AN ALMOST AMAZING

GAYDAR.

IF YOU WERE GAY, BUDDY WOULDSMOKE YOU OUT.

>> IT'S TRUE.

I COVERED-- UNCOVERED EVERYSINGLE GAY MAN IN CAMP, WELL,

EXCEPT FOR ONE.

>> Stephen: WELL, YOU'LL GETHIM ONE DAY.

>> I CERTAINLY HOPE SO.

>> Stephen: NOW BUDDY, INEED YOU TO GO TO RUSSIA TO

INVESTIGATE THE GAY THREATTO THE GAMES.

ARE YOU UP FOR IT?

>> YES, SIR.

>> YOU SAY GAY AND ATHLETES,AND I'M THERE.

>> Stephen: GOOD MAN, BUTHERE IS THE THING, THESE

ANTIGAY PROPAGANDA LAWS ARESO VAGUE.

JUST PLEASE DON'T DOANYTHING THAT COULD MAKE THE

RUSSIAN POLICE MISTAKE YOUFOR A GAY GUY.

>> YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRYABOUT ME, STEPHEN.

I RECENTLY LEARNED ALL ABOUTHOW TO STAY SAFE IN RUSSIA.

FROM U.S. AMBASSADOR TO THEORGANIZATION FOR SECURITY

AND COOPERATION IN EUROPE,DAN BAER, JIM?

>> Stephen: ACTUALLY, BUDDY,I'M THE ONLY ONE THAT CAN

SAY JIM.

>> OKAY.

STEPHEN?

>> Stephen: JIM.

(LAUGHTER)WITHIN "THE COLBERT REPORT"

PRESENTS A REPORT EXCLUSIVEFROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE.

>> BUT NO GAY STUFF.

>> DOUBLE O 14.

>> WITH ME, BUDDY COLE.

>> BEFORE HEADING TO SOCHI,I NEEDED TO LEARN ABOUT

RUSSIA'S ANTI-GAY LAWS.

SO I SAT DOWN WITHAMBASSADOR DANIEL BAER OF

THE ORGANIZATION FORSECURITY AND COOPERATION IN

EUROPE.

>> IT'S A PLEASURE TO MEETYOU.

DAN BAER.

>> VERY NICE TO MEET YOU.

>> YOU CAN CALL ME BUDDYCOLE.

>> YOU CAN CALL ME DAN.

>> OH, THAT'S WONDERFULBECAUSE THOSE HAPPEN TO BE

OUR NAMES.

>> THAT'S TRUE.

>> SO DAN, WHAT ARE YOURRESPONSIBILITIES AS AN

AMBASSADOR?

>> WELL, WE WORK TO ADVANCEU.S. FOREIGN POLICY IN MY

CASE, AT THE IOC TO BRINGTHE VISION OF A EUROPE WHERE

EVERYBODY HAS THEIR HUMANRIGHTS RESPECTED TO REALITY.

>> SO YOU ARE ONE OF ONLYFIVE OPENLY GAY AMBASSADORS.

DO YOUR PARENTS KNOW?

>> MY PARENTS DO KNOW.

>> AND HOW DID THEY TAKE ITWHEN THEY FOUND OUT THAT YOU

WORK FOR THE GOVERNMENT?

>> MY MOM HAS BEEN VERYSUPPORTIVE OF MY CAREER FOR

THE GOVERNMENT.

>> EVEN THOUGH BEING ANAMBASSADOR IS A CHOICE.

>> IT IS, YES.

>> SO AS AN AMBASSADOR AREYOU ABOVE THE LAW?

>> NO, I DON'T CONSIDERMYSELF TO BE ABOVE THE LAW,

NO.

>> COULD YOU JUST LIKE HITSOMEONE WITH YOUR CAR AND

JUST WALK AWAY SCOT-FREE?

>> NO.

>> ISN'T THAT WHATAMBASSADORS DO?

>> YOU KNOW, DIPLOMATICIMMUNITY --

>> JUST TRYING TO FIGURE OUT,WHAT'S THE POINT.

OH, DO YOU HAVE A SWORD?

>> I DON'T HAVE A SWORD.

>> A CAPE?

>> I DON'T HAVE A CAPE.

>> DO THEY CALL YOU YOUREXCELLENCY.

>> THEY DO FROM TIME TOTIME.

>> OH, OKAY, FINALLY SO,THERE ARE SOME PERKS.

>> THERE ARE CERTAINLY SOMEPERKS.

>> SO AS AN EXPERT, WHAT ISTHE RUSSIAN ANTI-GAY

LEGISLATION.

>> WELL, THE SO-CALLED GAYPROPAGANDA LAW BANS-- MAKES

IT ILLEGAL TO TALK ABOUTNONTRADITIONAL SEXUAL

RELATIONSHIPS IN A WAY THATWOULD EITHER MAKE THEM SEEM

GOOD OR EQUAL TO OTHERRELATIONSHIPS.

>> SO WHAT ABOUT IF YOUR GAYRELATIONSHIPS WEREN'T EQUAL

TO STRAIGHTRELATIONSHIPS?

>> WELL, I THINK THEQUESTION IS NOT A QUESTION

ABOUT ONE PARTICULARRELATIONSHIP OR ANOTHER

BUT -->> ALL PEOPLE SHOULD HAVE

THE RIGHT TO HAVE TERRIBLERELATIONSHIPS.

>> YOU KNOW.

>> WE SHOULD ALL BE FREE TOBE TRAPPED IN LOVELESS

MARRIAGES.

>> HOPEFULLY WE'RE NOT BUT ITHINK WHETHER YOU ARE GAY OR

STRAIGHT SHOULDN'T DETERMINEWHETHER YOU ARE.

>> SO THIS LAW MEANS THAT IFI WEAR LET'S SAY A RAINBOW

T-SHIRT, THAT COULD GET MEARRESTED?

>> WELL, I THINK IT COULDBECAUSE IT IS SUCH A VAGUE

LAW.

>> BUT SERIOUSLY, DAN, DON'TYOU THINK WEARING A RAINBOW

SHIRT SHOULD GET YOUARRESTED.

I MEAN WHY NOT JUST GO OUTDRESSED AS A UNICORN,

IF YOU CAN'T DECIDE ON ACOLOR WEAR BLACK OR NOTHING

AT ALL, OR JUST DON'T GOOUT.

>> WHAT PEOPLE WEAR IS ONEOF THE WAYS THAT THEY

EXPRESS THEMSELVES.

>> SO IN OTHER WORDS, NOTTOO MANY ZIPPERS.

HOW MANY ZIPPERS ON ANOUTFIT COULD ONE HAVE

WITHOUT APPEARING TOO GAY.

>> I THINK IT'S IMPORTANTNOT TO OVERTHINK THIS.

>> BUTTONS, ARE BUTTONSGAYER THAN ZIPPERS?

>> YOU KNOW, I'VE NEVER HADAN OPINION ON THAT.

>> I WAS TOLD THAT IN ORDERFOR ME TO BE SAFE I SHOULD

GO ALL VELCRO, JUST SO ITHAS THAT MACHO SOUND WHEN

YOU UNDO YOUR PANTS.

>> I'LL MAKE A NOTE OF THAT.

>> SO YOU BELIEVE THE PEOPLESHOULD BE ALLOWED TO WEAR

WHAT THEY WANT.

>> I DO.

>> OH.

THAT'S INTERESTING.

YOU'RE OUT ON A LIMB THERE,DAN.

>> HOPEFULLY IT'S NOT A VERYLONG ONE.

>> I HOPE IT'S A VERY THICKONE.

>> LET ME CLARIFY, WILL THEOLYMPICS BE SAFE FOR ME?

>> I COULD CARE LESS ABOUTTHE LATVIAN LUGE TEAM, I

MEAN THEY'RE LUGERS, RIGHT?

>> YOU KNOW, I THINK AS WITHALL LARGE SPORTING EVENTS,

WE'RE ENCOURAGING EVERYBODYTO BE ATTENTIVE AND MAKE

GOOD DECISIONS ABOUT THEIRPERSONAL SAFETY.

>> I WOULDN'T WANT TO RUN AFOUL OF THESE LAWS.

I'VE BEEN PRACTICING SOMEBASIC PHRASES TO HELP ME OUT

OF TROUBLE.

CAN YOU POINT ME TO THENEAREST HARDWARE STORE.

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THATONE.

>> I THINK DEPENDING ON THECONTEXT, PEOPLE MIGHT BE

CONFUSED.

>> WOMEN, AM I RIGHT?

WHO NEEDS THEM, EXCEPT FORTHEIR VAGINAS?

>> IS THAT -->> I THINK THAT WOULD

PROBABLY GET YOU IN TROUBLEWITH A LOT OF PEOPLE.

>> VAGINAS, CAN I HAVE TWOOF THEM-- CAN I HAVE ONE IN

EACH COLOR.

>> HOW ABOUT THAT?

>> YOU KNOW, I THINK THEBEST ADVICE IS TO JUST BE

YOURSELF.

>> OKAY.

WHAT DO YOU SAY, DAN, DO IHAVE OFFICIAL CLEARANCE TO

ENTER SOCHI?

>> WELL, OBVIOUSLY, THEOFFICIAL CLEARANCE WILL COME

FROM THE RUSSIAN GOVERNMENTBECAUSE YOU HAVE TO GET A

VISA.

>> THAT SEEMS LIKE A LOT OFWORK.

>> I THINK IT'S WORTH DOING.

>> OKAY, WELL, THANK YOU,SIR.

I PROMISE THAT I WON'T LETAMERICA DOWN.

>> HAVE A GOOD TRIP, AND BESAFE.

>> WELL, I LEARNED A LOT.

AND I'M SURE I'LL REMEMBERSOME OF IT.

SO I'M READY FOR RUSSIA BUTIS RUSSIA READY FOR ME?

(APPLAUSE)>> Stephen: BUDDY COLE,

EVERYBODY.

CHEERS THANK YOU,BUDDY.

>> Stephen: WELCOME BACK,EVERYBODY.

WELCOME BACK, FOLKS.

NATION, I HAVE JUST GOTTENWORD RIGHT HERE,THERE IS

BREAKING NEWS, BREAKING NEWSRIGHT NOW OUT OF, AND I HOPE

I'M PRONOUNCING THISCORRECTLY, AFG-HANYS-TAN, I

DON'T KNOW, CAN WE HAVESOMEBODY CHECK ON THE

PRONOUNCEMENT OH [BLEEP]AFGHANISTAN, RIGHT, WE'RE AT

WAR THERE.

IT'S ALWAYS THE LAST COUNTRYYOU THINK OF.

ANYWAY WHAT ARE THEY UP TONOW?

>> TALIBAN SAYS THEY HAVECAPTURED WHAT THEY SAY IS A

COALITION FORCES MILITARYSPY DOG IN EASTERN

AFGHANISTAN.

THE MEDIA WING OF THETALIBAN RELEASED THIS VIDEO

WHICH SHOWS TALIBAN MEMBERSHOLDING A BROWN DOG WITH A

VEST ON A LEASH.

>> Stephen: THOSE SONS OFBITCHES KIDNAPPED A SON OF A

BITCH.

I MEAN FOR PETE'S SAKE WHOHOLDS A DOG HOSTAGE.

WERE YOU GUYS SITTING AROUNDIN YOUR CAVE THINKING YOU

KNOW WHAT, PEOPLE DON'TTHINK WE'RE BIG OFF ASS

[BLEEP] LET'S KIDNAP A DOG.

AND FOLKS, REALLY, WHAT AREYOU GOING TO DO?

(APPLAUSE)WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO NOW,

MAKE HIM TALK BY PUTTINGPEANUT BUTTER ON THE ROOF OF

HIS MOUTH?

IF YOU HAD ANY BRAINS AT ALLYOU WOULD HAVE KIDNAPPED A

CAT.

NOBODY WOULD HAVE CARED.

NOT EVEN THE CAT.

(LAUGHTER)EVEN WORSE, ACCORDING TO THE

LATEST REPORTS, THE DOG ISFIT AND HEALTHY AND BEING

FED A DIET OF CHICKEN ANDBEEF KEBABS.

WHAT?

NO PEOPLE FOOD, NOW HE'SGOING TO BEG AT THE TABLE.

WELL, TALIBAN, HERE'S WHEREYOU SCREWED THE POOCH.

BY THE WAY, DO NOT SCREWTHAT POOCH.

(LAUGHTER)UNTIL THIS MOMENT, UNTIL

THIS MOMENT, YOU WERE ABOUTTO GET RID OF US.

>> MORE THAN 60,000 OF OURTROOPS HAVE ALREADY COME

HOME FROM AFGHANISTAN.

TOGETHER WITH OUR ALLIES WEWILL COMPLETE OUR MISSION

THERE BY THE END OF THISYEAR.

AND AMERICA'S LONGEST WARWILL FINALLY BE OVER.

>> Stephen: NOT ANY MORE.

THANKS TO YOU NOW NOT ONLYARE WE NOT LEAVING BUT THE

ENTIRE WORLD WILL JOIN USGLADLY BECAUSE EVERYBODY

LOVES DOGS.

THEY'RE THE PIZZA OF THEANIMAL KINGDOM.

AND IT WON'T JUST BE THEMILITARY THIS TIME.

YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO DEALWITH AN EVEN MORE RELENTLESS

ADVERSARY, SARAH McLACHLAN.

OH YEAH, OH YEAH.

(APPLAUSE)YOU STEPPED IN IT NOW, MY

FRIEND.

YOU THINK WAR IS HELL?

JUST WAIT UNTIL THEY'REPLAYING THAT ARMS OF THE

ANGELS COMMERCIAL ON EVERYTV STATION IN AFGHANISTAN.

ONCE YOU GET THAT THINGSTUCK IN YOUR HEAD, YOU'LL

BE PRAYING FOR A DRONESTRIKE.

(LAUGHTER)WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

>> Stephen: WELCOME BACK,EVERYBODY.

MY GUEST TONIGHT IS A FORMERCONGRESSMAN WHO NOW LEADS AN

ANTI-MARIJUANA LOBBYINGGROUP.

BET THEY GET A LOT MORE DONETHAN THE PRO MARIJUANA GROUP.

PLEASE WELCOME PATRICKKENNEDY.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)MR. KENNEDY, THANKS FOR

COMING ON.

>> ALL RIGHT, LET'S GET THECV OUT. OBVIOUSLY EVERYBODY

KNOWS THE FAMILY NAME BUTYOU SERVED 16 YEARS IN THE

HOUSE IN RHODE ISLAND'SFIRST DISTRICT.

YOU WERE CO-AUTHOR AND LEADSPONSOR OF THE MENTAL HEALTH

PARITY AND ADDICTIONEQUALITY ACT.

NOW LEADING PROJECT SAM WHATIS SAM.

>> I CAME TO THIS BECAUSE IWAS A SPONSOR OF THIS MENTAL

HEALTH BILL THAT SAID THEBRAIN WAS PART OF THE BODY.

THAT WAS A BIG PIECE OFLEGISLATION YOU JUST CITED

THAT I SPONSORED.

>> Stephen: IF THE BRAIN ISPART OF THE BODY THEN WHY DO

WOMEN WANT TO KNOW IF WEWANT THEM FOR THEIR BODY OR

THEIR BRAIN?

(LAUGHTER)CAN'T HAVE BOTH, CAN'T HAVE

IT BOTH WAYS.

ANYWAY-- GO AHEAD, GO AHEAD.

>> SO JUST LIKE WOMEN AREDISCRIMINATED AGAINST

BECAUSE IF THEY HAVE A BABYTHEY ARE HIGHER COSTS, YOU

KNOW, WE WERE TRYING TO MAKESURE THAT YOU COULDN'T

DISCRIMINATE AGAINST THEBRAIN AND MENTAL ILLNESS

WHICH INSURANCE COMPANIESTRADITIONALLY DO.

THEY IMPOSE HIGHER COSTS ONYOU AS A CONSUMER IF YOU

HAVE A BRAIN ILLNESS.

BUT IF YOU HAVE DIABETES ORASTHMA OR CARDIOVASCULAR

DISEASE, THEY DON'T CHARGEYOU MORE OR DISCRIMINATE

AGAINST YOU MORE.

EVEN THOUGH YOU MIGHT BE AVERY COSTLY HEALTH PATIENT.

>> Stephen: BUT IF YOURBRAIN ILLNESS IS BAD ENOUGH,

YOU DON'T KNOW YOU'RE BEINGDISCRIMINATED AGAINST.

(LAUGHTER)DOESN'T IT ALL COME OUT IN

THE WASH, THERE, PAT?

>> THAT'S TRUE.

YOU KNOW WHAT, THAT IS WHYIT WAS SO DIFFICULT TO GET

THE BILL PASSED BECAUSEUNLIKE CANCER ADVOCATES,

THEY ALL SHOW UP WHEN YOUHAVE A CANCER BILL.

MENTAL HEALTH ADVOCATESDON'T LIKE TO PUT THEIR HAND

UP AND SAY THEY HAVE AMENTAL ILLNESS BECAUSE OF

THE STIGMA AGAINST THEILLNESS.

>> Stephen: NOW YOU HAVE ANEW AXE TO GRIND HERE.

YOU'RE OPPOSED TO MARIJUANALEGALIZATION.

OKAY.

YOU'RE A YOUNG, POPULARDEMOCRAT.

WHY ARE YOU ADMIRAL BUZZSHACKLER ON THIS ONE.

I'M WITH YOU, AN I TELL YOUWHY IN A SECOND.

I AGREE WITH YOU AND I ALSODISAGREE WITH YOU FOR TWO

DIFFERENT REASONS.

BUT FIRST, MAKE YOUR CASE TOAMERICA RIGHT NOW, WHY

SHOULD WE NOT LEGALIZE POT.

BECAUSE IT'S HAPPENED INCOLORADO IS DOING IT,

WASHINGTON STATE IS DOING IT,20 STATES HAVE LEGAL MEDICAL

MARIJUANA.

>> WELL, I AM A GOOD LIBERALDEMOCRAT.

AND I DON'T LIKE BIGBUSINESS.

AND SO THIS IS THE BIGBUSINESS OF ADDICTION.

BECAUSE MARIJUANA IS NOWMOVED FROM THE HEMP SHIRTS

TO THE BRIEFCASES.

THEY'RE TRYING TO SELL THISNEW BIG BUSINESS JUST LIKE

BIG TOBACCO AND BIG LIQUORON THE NOTION THAT THEY CAN

MAKE A PROFIT OFF OF PEOPLELIKE ME WHO ARE ADDICTS

BECAUSE THAT'S WHERE THEIRMONEY IS.

THEIR MONEY IS IN PEOPLELIKE ME WHO LIKE TO USE MORE

THAN IS REALLY ACCEPTABLE.

>> Stephen: OKAY, THAT ISTHE ONE-- THAT IS THE ONE,

THAT IS THE ONE PART OF THISTHAT I DO LIKE.

BECAUSE AS AN INVESTOR, IJUST FOUND OUT THERE IS THIS

WHOLE ENORMOUS MARKET CALLEDPOT THAT HAS BEEN MAKING

BILLIONS OF DOLLARS OFF BOOKFOR YEARS.

NOW I CAN PUT MY MONEY INCOLORADO COMPANIES THAT ARE

GETTING THE STANKIEST BUDPOSSIBLE, OKAY, AND I CAN

MAKE A BUTT LOAD OF CASH,WHY SHOULDN'T I DO THAT.

>> THAT IS THE BIG THINGABOUT THIS NEW INDUSTRY.

THEY'RE GOING TO ADVERTISE.

SO YOU GET FREE JOINTS WHEN YOUGET YOUR LIFT TICKET YOU GET

FREE JOINTS WHEN YOU GO-- .

>> Stephen: IS THATHAPPENING.

>> YEAH, THAT'S REALLY.

>> Stephen: THE PARTY ISHAPPENING.

>> AND YOU KNOW, YOU CAN GETTHE BROWNIES AND COOKIES ALL

THC.

YOU CAN GET SODAS WITH THC.

BUT MOST PEOPLE THINKLEGALIZATION IS ALLOWING ME

TO SMOKE MARIJUANA ON THEWEEKENDS.

IT'S TO YOU BEING ABLE TOSELL PRODUCTS WITH THC IN

IT.

>> Stephen: NOW I WANT IT TO BEILLEGAL AGAIN. HERE IS THE

THING.

IF YOU GET ARRESTED YOU GOTO JAIL, OKAY.

YOU ARE FORDECRIMINALIZATION.

>> I'M FOR KEEPING ITILLEGAL BUT FOR ALTERNATIVE

SENTENCING.

I THINK PEOPLE SHOULD PAYFINES.

I THINK THEY SHOULD GETTREATMENT IF THEY NEED IT.

AND THAT IS WHY I PASSED THEMENTAL HEALTH PARITY AND

MENTAL ADDICTION ACT.

I THINK THERE SHOULD BE ACHECKUP FROM THE NECK UP.

>> Stephen: SO INSTEAD OFGOING TO JAIL, YOU GO TO

REHAB.

>> SO, WELL, REHABS AREGOING TO LOVE THIS.

>> Stephen: I SHOULD INVESTIN REHABS.

>> YOU SHOULD INVEST INREHAB BECAUSE THE BIGGEST

NEW ADMISSION NOW, AND ITSURPASSES COCAINE AND

ALCOHOL AND METHIS MARIJUANA, BELIEVE

IT OR NOT.

>> Stephen: REALLY.

>> INVEST IN THAT AND INVESTIN MARIJUANA, YOU WILL MAKE

OUT IN BOTH RESPECTS, YES.

>> Stephen: DO YOU SMOKE POT,YOU DON'T DO SUBSTANCE ABUSE

ANY MORE.

DID YOU SMOKE POT.

>> IF THE KIND OF MARIJUANATHAT IS AVAILABLE TODAY WAS

AVAILABLE BACK WHEN I WASTRYING IT, I COULD HAVE

EATEN IT BECAUSE IT'S THESEEDIBLES THAT-- BECAUSE I HAD

ASTHMA, I MOVED ON TO OTHERTHINGS TO GET HIGH.

I DIDN'T SMOKE-- .

>> Stephen: WAIT A SECOND,WAIT A SECOND.

SO IF POT IS ILLEGAL THENMAYBE WOULD YOU HAVE STOPPED

WITH POT.

>> I MIGHT HAVE STOPPED WITHPOT BUT THEN I WOULDN'T HAVE

FINALLY REALIZED THAT I HADA PROBLEM BECAUSE MARIJUANA

WOULD HAVE KEPT ME ON THESLOW TRAIN TO NOWHERE A LOT

LONGER THAN COCAINE ORALCOHOL.

WHERE IT'S PRETTY HARD AFTERA WHILE TO IGNORE THE FACT

THAT YOU HAVE AN ADDICTION.

BUT MARIJUANA, YOU CAN SMOKEIT FOR A LONG TIME AND STILL

BE IN DENIAL,.

YOU KNOW, MY DENIAL WASTOUGH TO BREAK.

I WAS ARRESTED FOR SEVERALTIMES.

I WAS HUMILIATED BUT WITHMARIJUANA I PROBABLY WOULD

HAVE BEEN ABLE TO GET AWAYWITH IT A LOT LONGER THAT

I DID.

>> Stephen: I TOLD YOU THEREWERE TWO THINGS THAT WORRY

ME.

THE OTHER IS THAT IF WE MAKEMARIJUANA LEGAL

IT MIGHT CUT INTO XANAX SALES BECAUSE PHARMACEUTICALS

THOSE THINGSHAVE GOT A SWEET LITTLE EDGE

TO THEM.

SHOULD WE MAKEPHARMACEUTICALS ILLEGAL AS

WELL?

BECAUSE THEY ARE HIGHLYADDICTIVE.

>> WELL, IT'S LIKEOXYCONTIN WHICH I WAS

ADDICTED TO.

>> Stephen: WAS IT LOVELY.

>> YEAH, IT FELT REALLYGOOD.

AND YOU KNOW WHAT, THAT'SNOW PERMISSIVE.

THAT'S THE PROBLEM WITHMAKING MARIJUANA LEGAL IS IT

A PERMISSIVE I'M, SAYING OH,IT'S MEDICINE, I WILL TAKE T

I WILL FEEL BETTER.

AND I REALLY WORRY ABOUT THEFUTURE OF OUR COUNTRY.

AND WITH THE ANXIETY LEVELOF OUR YOUNG PEOPLE, THE

STRESS OF OUR KIDS, WE'REJUST ADDING SOMETHING ELSE

THAT MAY IN THE SHORT RUNMAKE THEM FEEL BETTER BUT IN

THE LONG RUN IS GOING TOREALLY COST THEM AND COST

OUR COUNTRY.

>> Stephen: PATRICK, THANKYOU SO MUCH FOR JOINING ME.

>> THANK YOU.

>> Stephen: PATRICK KENNEDY.

PROJECT SAM, WE'LL BE RIGHTBACK.

>> Stephen: THAT'S IT FORTHE REPORT, EVERYBODY.

JOIN US TOMORROW NIGHT WHENBUDDY COLE SITS DOWN WITH

THE U.S. SPEED SKATING TEAMAND TEACHES THEM EVERYTHING

HE'S LEARNED.

GOOD NIGHT