February 26, 2015 - Black Women in America

  • 02/26/2015

Issa Rae, Christina Greer, Jacque Reid and Marina Franklin join Larry to discuss issues black women face in the workplace as well as the pros and cons of interracial dating.

>> Larry: TONIGHTLY, I TRYTO UNDERSTAND BLACK WOMAN,

I'M 0 FOR 53 YEARS BUT WHOKNOWS, MAYBE TONIGHT'S THE

NIGHT.

ARE AMERICAN OFFICESINHOSPITABLE TO BLACK WOMAN,

A WHITE GUY WHO JUST TOLD HIS COWORKER HER AFRO LOOKED

UNPROFESSIONAL SAYS NO. DO BLACKWOMEN FACE PRESSURE TO DATE

WITHIN THEIR RACE? HALLE BERRYIF YOUR ANSWER IS YES, YOU

SHOULD KNOW, I'M BLACK.

FOUR STRONG BLACK WOMANAROUND THE SAME TABLE,

EITHER SHONDALAND OR A ROBERTDENIRO DINNER PARTY.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> Larry: THANK YOU, THANK

YOU, WELCOME TO THE NIGHTLYSHOW.

I'M LARRY WILMORE.

WE'RE DOING A SPECIAL SHOWTO WRAP UP BLACK HISTORY

MONTH.

WE WILL TALK ABOUT SOME OF THEUNIQUE CHALLENGES FACING

BLACK WOMEN TODAY, FROM THEWORKFORCE TO DATING.

WE'RE JUST GOING TO GETRIGHT INTO THE PANEL TONIGHT.

JOINING ME ARE ACTRESS ANDAUTHOR OF THE

MISADVENTURES OF AN AWKWARDBLACK GIRL, ISSA RAE.

ASSISTANT PROFESSOR FROMFORDHAM UNIVERSITY AND

AUTHOR OF THE BOOK"BLACK ETHNICS" CHRISTINA GREER.

CO-HOST OF WNBC'S NEW YORKLIVE JACQUE REID.

AND THE ALWAYS FUNNYCOMEDIAN MARINA FRANKLIN,

MARINA.

(APPLAUSE)I THOUGHT WE WOULD TALK

ABOUT THE WORKPLACE FIRST.

AND TO SET IT UP.

LET'S LOOK AT A CLIP FROMSUNDAY'S OSCARS, I THINK IT

WILL GIVE US SOME GOOD CONTEXT.

>> IT IS OUR TIME TO HAVEWAGE EQUALITY ONCE AND FOR

ALL.

AND EQUAL RIGHTS FOR WOMENIN THE UNITED STATES OF

AMERICA.

>> Larry: OKAY, NOW THAT ISAN ISSUE THAT PEOPLE ARE

VERY FAMILIAR WITH, YOU KNOW,WOMEN AREN'T MAKING AS MUCH

AS MEN BUT YOU MIGHT NOTKNOW THIS PART OF IT.

LET'S PLAY THIS.

>> WHEN YOU TALK ABOUT THEISSUE OF EQUAL PAY, WE'RE

ESPECIALLY SUFFERING, THEWAGE GAP WITH WHITE WOMEN IS

78 CENTS TO THE DOLLAR FORBLACK WOMEN IT'S 64 CENTS TO

THE DOLLAR.

>> Larry: CHRISTINA I WILL STARTWITH YOU BECAUSE YOU TALKED

ABOUT THIS.

IS THIS A REAL NUMBER?

WHAT IS THE ORIGIN OF THIS?

HOW DID WE EVEN GET THERE.

>> RIGHT, WE NEED TO THINKABOUT THIS HISTORICALLY.

SO I WILL JUST CHOOSE THENEW DEAL WITH FDR, RIGHT.

>> Larry: THAT'S GOING BACKPRETTY FAR.

>> I COULD GO BACK EVEN FURTHER

>> YOU WERE MAKING-- I COULDGO BACK EVEN FURTHER BUT

LET'S TAKE FDR, HAD TO MAKECONCESSIONS WITH WHITE

SOUTHERNERS SO HE EXCLUDEDBLACK DOMESTICS, SO IF YOU

EXCLUDE BLACK DOMESTICS TOMAKE THE NEW DEAL HAPPEN, WE

KNOW OVER TIME THERE IS ALACK OF WEALTH THAT HAS BEEN

ABLE TO BE BUILT BECAUSEDECADE AFTER DECADE BLACK

WOMEN IN PARTICULAR WEREPAID LESS AND WE KNOW, WHEN

PATRICIA ARQUETTE SAYS WOMEN,SHE ACTUALLY MEANS WHITE WOMEN.

SHE SAID LATER ON SOMETHINGABOUT WOMEN OF COLOR.

>> BUT SHE DID SUGGEST THATIF WHITE MEN MADE 1.36 THAN

BLACK WOMEN WOULD BE MAKINGA DOLLAR.

NO, SHE DIDN'T SUGGEST THAT,I'M MAKING THAT UP, PATRICIA

ARQUETTE.

>> Larry: JACQUE DO YOU THINKTHE COMBINATION OF BLACK AND

WOMEN MAKE THIS-- IS THATTHE BIGGEST ISSUE TO

ADVANCEMENT IN THE WORKFORCEFOR YOU, THAT COMBINATION OR

IS JUST A WOMEN THING.

>> NO, IT'S DEFINITELY ANAFRICAN-AMERICAN THING AND

IT'S BEING A FEMALE AS WELL.

I MEAN IT'S JUST LIKE THEWOMAN SAID IN THE CLIP.

WE'RE DEALING WITH THE SAMEISSUES THAT A LOT OF BLACK

MEN DEAL WITH ADVANCING INTHE WORKPLACE AND WE'RE ALSO

DEALING WITH A LOT OF ISSUESTHAT WOMEN DEAL WITH

ADVANCING IN THE WORKPLACE.

I MEAN I HAD A WHITE MANAGERTELL ME ONE TIME THAT SHE WAS

AFRAID OF ME.

AND ANYBODY WHO KNOWS ME, IMEAN I'M NOT-- I DON'T, YOU

KNOW, COME IN WITH A GUN OR,YOU KNOW, WITH GANG SIGNS OR

ANYTHING LIKE THAT I'M JUST,YOU KNOW, A TYPICAL BLACK

GIRL.

AND SHE TOLD ME SHE WASAFRAID OF ME BECAUSE I'M A

STRONG WOMAN, I'MOPINIONATED AND I SAY WHAT I

FEEL NEEDS TO BE SAIDBUT THAT IS THE ENVIRONMENT

IN THE MEDIA.

EVERYBODY DOES THAT.

>> RIGHT.

>> BUT SHE WAS AFRAID OF ME.(APPLAUSE)

>> Larry: WOW. THAT'S HARD TOEVEN IMAGINE

I WANT TO SHOW ANOTHER CLIPBECAUSE THIS IS SOMETHING

THAT I ALWAYS HEARD FROM MYPARENTS.

LET'S SHOW THIS AND I WANTTO TALK ABOUT IT.

>> YOU HAVE TO BE WHAT?

WHAT?

TWICE AS GOOD.

>> TWICE ADD GOOD AS THEM TOGET HALF WHAT THEY HAVE.

>> Larry: NOW A LOT OF YOULADIES MAY NOT BE FAMILIAR

WITH THAT SHOW, OKAY.

IT'S CALLED SCANDAL.

YOU MAY NOT BE WATCHING IT.

NOW ISSA, YOU WORK LIKE FOURTIMES AS HARD AS ANYBODY I

KNOW.

ARE YOU GETTING CLOSE TOHALF?

>> IF I WERE A WHITE GUY IWOULD BE-- I WOULD RULE THIS

WORLD RIGHT NOW.

I'M IN THE LYING.

LIKE I WOULD HAVE-- I WOULDHAVE BEEN AT THE OSCARS, I

WOULD HAVE BEEN HOSTING.

>> Larry: AS AN ENTREPRENEURDO YOU THINK THAT, ARE YOU

MAKING A WEB SERIES.

>> I AM, BUT I FEEL LIKEI'VE HAD TO GO THE

UNTRADITIONAL ROUTE BECAUSEI TRIED TO BREAK IN

MAINSTREAM MEDIAWISE ANDI'VE BEEN SHUT OUT.

I'VE BEEN TOLD I DON'T HAVEAN AUDIENCE AND I FEEL LIKE

THE INTERNET HAS ALLOWED METO FIND THAT NICHE AUDIENCE.

>> Larry: DO YOU FEEL LIKEIT'S AN INVISIBILITY THING?

>> I FEEL LIKE WE'RE NOT ONTHE RADAR OF EXECUTIVES WHO

HAPPEN TO BE WHITE MEN.

IF YOU ARE NOT IN THE CIRCLE,YOU KNOW, IT'S KIND OF AN

OLD BOYS NETWORK AND IF YOUARE NOT IN THAT CIRCLE THEY

TEND TO HIRE WHO THEY KNOWAND ARE FAMILIAR WITH.

>> AND THAT'S THE THING.

>>THE CONVERSATION'S NOT THESAME. WE DON'T TALK ABOUT HOCKEY

>> WE'RE NOT GONNA BRING THAT UP IN A

CONVERSATION, WE'RE NOTTALKING ABOUT HOCKEY AND

GOLF.

>> THERE ARE CODE WORDSABOUT PEOPLE FEELING

UNCOMFORTABLE. AS AN ACADEMICI GET THAT TOO.

STUDENTS ARE AFRAID.

>> Larry: WHY ARE THEYAFRAID?

WHAT ARE THEY THINK GOING TOHAPPEN?

>> THESE ARE CODE WORDS.

THESE ARE CODE WORDS THAT WEKNOW EXIST IN ALL DIFFERENT

OCCUPATIONS.

>> Larry: UH-HUH.

IT'S FUNNY, SHERYL SANDBERGHAD THAT PHRASE LEAN IN, BE

MORE ASSERTIVE.

DO YOU THINK -->> LIKE I AM RIGHT NOW,

SORRY.

>> Larry: IS THERE A THINGTHAT BLACK WOMEN MIGHT BE

PENALIZED FOR THAT IN THEWORKPLACE.

>> I FEEL LIKE WHENEVER WEASSERT OURSELVES

THERE IS ALWAYS THE BITCHFACTOR OR THE DIFFICULT ELEMENT

>> OR BOSSY OR TOO SEXUAL>> Larry: WE'LL GET TO THAT.

>> WE'RE TOO PROMISCUOUS

>> I'M DEFINITELYPROMISCUOUS.

I TRY TO BE PROMISCUOUS. BUTYEAH, IT'S A PROBLEM.

IT'S LIKE OH, LOOK AT WHATSHE'S WEARING.

WHO IS SHE TRYING TO GET.

TRYING TO GET MY WHITE MAN.

>> I AM ABSOLUTELY TRYING TOGET YOUR WHITE MAN.

(LAUGHTER)>> Larry: YOU'RE TRYING TO

GET THEIR WHITE MAN.

>> ABSOLUTELY.

>> Larry: IS THERE A PROBLEMWITH NOT WANTING TO SEEM TOO

ANGRY?

IS THAT LIKE-- ARE YOUALWAYS TRYING TO CHECK

YOURSELF.

>> YEAH, BECAUSE AFTER THATWOMAN, THE MANAGER TOLD ME

THAT SHE WAS AFRAID OF ME, IDID HAVE TO KIND OF SAY,

WHAT AM I DOING TO MAKE HERFEEL AFRAID.

>> TALKING.

>> JUST BEING MYSELF.

BECAUSE SANDBERG CAME UPWITH THIS LEAN IN THING.

BLACK WOMEN, WE'VE BEENLEANING IN FOREVER.

THE PROBLEM IS THAT NO ONEIS LETTING US ADVANCE.

>> RIGHT.

>> FOR LEANING IN, WE'VEBEEN LEANING IN, BUT WE

DON'T ADVANCE FOR THAT.

(APPLAUSE)>> WE GET PUSHED BACK.

>> Larry: MARINA, HAVE YOUFOUND THAT YOU HAVE TO WORK

TWICE AS HARD, DO YOU HAVETO WORK TWICE AS HARD AS

CARROT TOP JUST TO GET -->> WOW, I HOPE I AM WORKING

AT LEAST A LITTLE HARDERTHAN CARROT TOP.

BUT YEAH, I DO FEEL LIKE MYFUNNY HAS TO BE UNDENIABLE.

LIKE LESLIE JONES IS A GREATEXAMPLE OF A VERY HILARIOUS

WOMAN.

IT TOOK HER A LONG TIME TOEVEN BE RECOGNIZED.

AND SO IT'S LIKE YEAH, YOUHAVE TO BE UNDENIABLE ON

STAGE.

AND YOU REPRESENT THECOMMUNITY, WHEN ARE YOU ON

STAGE, PEOPLE ARE LOOKINGFOR ME TO REPRESENT BLACK

PEOPLE AND THAT'S A LOT OFPRESSURE.

>> Larry: MEANWHILE YOU'RESTILLING THEIR WHITE MEN

>> THEY ARE GOING TO SHUT UPABOUT IT.

>> Larry: I WANT TO TALKABOUT MORE OF THIS IN TERMS

OF RELATIONSHIPS AND HOW ITPLAYS OUT.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK AND GETMORE INTO THIS CONVERSATION.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> Larry: WELCOME-- WELCOME

BACK.

I WANT TO GET MORE INTORELATIONSHIPS AND THE UNIQUE

CHALLENGES THAT BLACK WOMENMAY FACE.

HERE IS ANOTHER CLIP I WANT TOSHOW.

>> A NO ACCOUNT SORRY HUSBANDWHO I SAID DON'T MARRY.

COULDN'T KEEP HIS-- IN HISPANTS AND SLEPT WITH A WHITE

WOMAN THEN THE FOOL GOES ANDKILLS THE WHITE WOMAN.

>> Larry: APOLOGIZEFORSHOWING THESE OBSCURE

CLIPS THAT IS FROM CALLED HOW TOGET AWAY WITH MURDER, I

DON'T KNOW IF YOU LADIES HAVESEEN THIS.

ANOTHER ONE OF THESE BROSHOWS.

>> BUT TALK ABOUTINTERRACIAL DATING.

I WANT TO SAY, YOU BROUGHTTHIS UP, YOU HAVE SOME FUNNY

THINGS TO SAY ABOUT THIS.

DO YOU FEEL IT IS A UNIQUECHALLENGE AS A BLACK WOMAN

IN DATING.

>> I SAY THAT BLACK WOMENAND ASIAN MEN ARE AT THE

BOTTOM OF THE DATING TOTEMPOLE.

IT'S TRUE.

LIKE ASK AROUND.

>> Larry: THE DATING TOTEMPOLE.

>> WE'RE AT THE BOTTOM.

GO TO MATCH.COM, GO TO ANYONE, THE LEAST CHOSEN IS-- .

>> Larry: PEOPLE SAY THAT.

>> THEY TELL YOU THESTATISTICS BUT THE MORE

EDUCATED THE BLACK WOMANTEND TO GO, AND THIS IS

SPEAKING FROM MY OWNCOLLEGE EXPERIENCE, MY

FRIENDS MY GIRLFRIENDS AND IWILL FIND THAT THE GUYS, THE

POOL OF GUYS IS SO LIMITED.

AND IT WAS, THEY KNEW THATTHEY WERE A CATCH.

THEYWERE EDUCATED. THEY WEREN'TIN JAIL, THEY DIDN'T HAVE KIDS,

WE HAVE OPTIONS SO IT WORKS FORUS.

AND THAT MADE ITUNAPPEALING.

SO WE TEND TO EITHER, YOUKNOW-- .

>> Larry: FEEL ISOLATED.

>> FEEL ISOLATED AND FEELDISCOURAGED FROM PURSUING, I

GUESS, BLACK LOVE AND-- .

>> Larry: YOU HAVE BEENPRETTY PUBLIC ABOUT YOUR

DATING TRAVAILS.

>> YES, I HAVE BEEN, LARRY.

>> Larry: AND YOU ARE ANED-MA-KATED WOMAN, AS THEY

SAY.

WHAT ARE SOME OF THEOBSTACLES FROM YOUR POINT OF

VIEW ON THIS.

>> WITH DATINGINTERRACIALLY?

>> Larry: YEAH.

>> I FOR ME, I THINK THENUMBERS FOR MATCH.COM ARE

KIND OF SKEWED BECAUSE ITHINK A LOT OF BLACK PEOPLE

DON'T GO THERE SO THEY AREPOLLING PEOPLE THAT AREN'T

NECESSARILY SHOWING UP.

YOU KNOW, BECAUSE I LOVETHAT YOU LOOK AT SHOWS

SCANDAL AND HOW TO GET AWAYWITH MURDER WHERE BLACK WOMEN

ARE DATING INTERRACIALLY ANDVERY DESIRED.

>> IT'S A BUSINESS.

>> PUTTING US OUT THERE ASATTRACTIVE.

>> PUTTING US OUT THERE ASATTRACTIVE.

AND I DON'T THINK WE EVERWERE NOT ATTRACTIVE.

>> Larry: DO YOU FEEL LIKETHERE IS A SMALL POOL OF

CANDIDATES, IF YOU WANT TOSTAY WITHIN YOUR RACE?

>> I DO.

I DO.

I FEEL LIKE QUALITY, YOUKNOW, AND I HAVE STANDARDS.

PEOPLE WANT TO SAY THAT I'MPICKY BUT I HAVE STANDARDS.

AND I THINK FINDING A-- ANDI THINK THERE'S NOTHING

WRONG WITH THAT.

BUT I THINK FINDING AQUALITY BLACK MAN IS LIKE

FINDING A $100 ON THESIDEWALK IN MIDTOWN

MANHATTAN.

IF IT'S THERE IT'S NOT GOINGTO STAY THERE LONG.

I WILL GIVE A QUICK EXAMPLE.

>> Larry: OKAY, BECAUSE THEBLACK MEN NOW ARE ON

TWITTER.

>> HI A GIRLFRIEND CALL MESAID THIS GUY I WENT TO

COLLEGE W HE IS A DOCTOR,JUST GOT DIVORCED.

I WANT TO HOOK YOU UP.

I AM GOING TO DO SOME-- ANDTRY TO GET IN TOUCH.

I SAID NO, NO, CALL NOW.

AND SHE WAS LIKE WELL, I'LLCALL HIM LATER IN THE WEEK.

>> Larry: YOU DIDN'T WANTTHAT $100 BILL TO BLOW AWAY.

>> SHE SAID ALL RIGHT, ALLRIGHT, CALL HIM NOW.

CALLED ME AND CALLED HIMBACK AND SAID HE'S

ALREADY -->> THAT IS CRAZY.

>> YOU MAKE JOKES ABOUTDATING WHITE GUYS, DO YOU

GET SHADE FOR THAT?

>> WELL, YEAH, I'M ONYOUTUBE, YOU GO AND SEE IT.

AND I TALK ABOUT DATINGWHITE MEN AND IT'S NOT LIKE

I'M EXCLUDING DATING BLACKMEN BUT FOR SOME REASON,

THEY FOCUS IN ON THAT IDON'T WANT TO DATE BLACK

MEN.

LIKE MY YOUNGER WHITE BOYFRIEND THAT I'M CURRENTLY

SEEING IS ALWAYS SAYING-- .

>> Larry: I LIKE HOW SHE PUTIN, MY YOUNGER, EMPHASIS ON

YOUNGER.

>> I WAS GOING TO SAY TO YOU,IF YOU WANT, JUST GO YOUNG.

BECAUSE YOU CAN RAISE THEMAND MATE THEM.

>> Larry: I WANT TO HEARTHAT-- YOU ARE MARRIED BOTH

YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND HAVEPh.Ds BUT ARE YOU SITTING

HERE BRAGGY AND GLOATY.

>> SHE IS THE ENVY OF THEGROUP.

>> NO YOU ABOUT I WILL SAYTHIS, I JUST, I WANT TO MAKE

SURE PEOPLE DON'T THINK THATBLACK MEN ARE UNICORNS

EITHER.

>> Larry: EXACTLY.

>> THERE ARE PLENTY-- .

>> Larry: THANK YOU.

>> I AM NOT GOING TO SAY APLETHORA BUT THERE ARE SOME,

YOU KNOW, AND MAYBE MYTHOUGHT PROCESS WHEN --

>> GOOD BLACK MEN.

>> LISTEN, EVERYONE COMESWITH SOME-- EVERYONE COMES

WITH SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED.

>> I'M NOT SAYING GREAT.

>> JUST SOMETIMES IT CAN BEA FEW BATTERIES HERE AND

THERE.

SOMETIMES IT IS A MODELAIRPLANE KIT WITH NO

INSTRUCTIONS.

AND IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOUFEEL YOU WANT TO DO.

LIKE AND HOW MUCH EFFORT YOUWANT TO PUT IT INTO IT.

>> Larry: DO YOU THINK ITMAKES A DIFFERENCE SAYING I

DON'T THINK THERE ISANYTHING WRONG WITH SOMEBODY

WANTING TO DATE OR BE WITHSOMEONE LIKE YOU, UNLESS YOU

ARE WHITE AND THEN IT'SRACIST.

>> I WILL CONFESS THAT IHAVE-- I HAVE SEEN LIKE

BLACK MEN AND FRIENDS OFMINE, WE HAVE BEEN GUILTY OF

SEEING BLACK MEN DATEOUTSIDE YOUR RACE AND-- .

>> Larry: YOU GUYS GIVEBLACK MEN A HARD TIME.

>> BLACK MEN GIVE BLACKWOMEN A HARD TIME.

THERE ARE BLACK MEN THATWON'T SEE SCANDAL BECAUSE OF

THAT.

>> BECAUSE KERRY WASHINGTONCHARACTER IS INVOLVED WITH A

WHITE MAN.

>> Larry: NOW I'M NEVERWATCHING IT.

>> WHEN I SEE A BLACK WOMANWITH A WHITE MAN OR WITH

SOMEONE OUTSIDE THE RACE, ITEND TO BE LIKE GIRL, YOU

GET IT.

I KNOW YOU TRIED.

>> I WILL SAY THIS THOUGH,WE HAVE TO ALSO, AGAIN,

THINK HISTORICALLY, WE KNOWAS A FACT THAT IN THIS

COUNTRY, BLACK BOYS, INTHIRD GRADE, THAT'S WHEN

TEACHERS START TO FEAR THEMAND THEY TRAPPED IN REMEDIAL AND

ALL OF A SUDDEN THEY ARE ATHREAT TO THEIR TEACHER, A

CLASSMATE AND SO WE'RESTARTING THIS AT A REALLY

YOUNG AGE.

>> Larry: THERE IS A WHOLELOT OF SOCIALOGICAL

REASONSING ESPECIALLY WHENYOU ARE TALKING ABOUT CLASS.

YOU ARE TALKING ABOUTEDUCATION.

SOME PEOPLE NEVER GET TO BECANDIDATES.

BECAUSE OF THAT VICIOUS CYCLEAND THAT SORT OF THING.

AND THAT'S A MUCH LONGERCONVERSATION.

BUT I WILL COME BACK TO THEWHOLE BOSSY THING.

DOES THATTOUCH A NERVE.

>> SURE DOES.

>> Larry: WHY DOES THATTOUCH A NERVE.

>> BECAUSE WHO IS SAYING IT.

BOSSINESS GOES WITH THEATTITUDE THAT THEY SAY BLACK

WOMEN HAVE.

AND IT'S REALLY IN THE EYEOF THE BEHOLDER, RIGHT.

>> RIGHT.

>> THE REASON YOU SAY ABLACK WOMAN HAS AN ATTITUDE

OR IS BOSSY IS PROBABLYBECAUSE YOU'VE DONE

SOMETHING WRONG, OKAY.

(LAUGHTER)>> LARRY.

>> Larry: MARINA.

MARINA IS LIKE TEN TIMES BLACKERWHEN SHE IS

TALKING ABOUT THAT THANTALKING ABOUT HER WHITE

BOYFRIEND.

>> PEOPLE WANT TO LOOK ATBLACK WOMEN AND SAY WE ARE

BOSSI.

BUT IN ACTUALITY, WE HAVEVISION.

AND WE SEE THINGS, LIKE MYBOSSINESS, TO YOU I'M BEING

BOSSY BUT I'M JUST TRYING TOGIVE YOU HELP ABOUT

SOMETHING THAT YOU DON'TTHINK YOU NEED HELP ABOUT.

SO YOU THINK YOU DON'T WANTTHAT HELP, I'M JUST TRYING

TO HELP YOU.

>> Larry: THAT'S NOTBOSSINESS.

>> THAT'S WHAT YOU THINKIS BOSSY.

>> THE REASON WHY BOSSYSTRIKES US DIFFERENTLY

BECAUSE AS SOMEONE WHO HASTO ADVOCATE FOR HERSELF

CONSTANTLY, RIGHT, IN THEWHITE SUPREMACIST COUNTRY,

BLACK SOCIETY, AND TWO BOSSYIS ONE OF THESE WORDS WHERE

IF ARE YOU EDUCATED AND AREYOU BLACK AND ARTICULATE,

AND IT IS ONE OF THOSE WORDSTHAT, IT IS A BACKHANDED,

ARTICULATE IS A BACKHANDEDCOMPLIMENT.

>> Larry: THE FACT OF THEMATTER IS WE ALL KNOW

THE BLACK FAMILIES WERE TORNPART FOR MANY

REASONS, STARTING WITHSLAVERY AND WOMEN HAD TO

TAKE THE LEAD. HAD TO BEASSERTIVE.

I DON'T THINK BLACK WOMENSHOULD BE PENALIZED FOR THAT

I GET THE LAST WORD ON THAT,RIGHT.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

>> Larry: OKAY.

WELCOME BACK.

IT'S TIME FOR THE SEGMENT WELIKE TO CALL KEEP IT-- ALL

YOU PEOPLE THAT DON'T KNOWTHAT EXPRESS MEANS KEEP IF

100% REAL, RIGHT.

NOW TONIGHT I DON'T KNOWWHAT HAPPENED BUT WE

ASKED-- WE WERE DOING THEBLACK WOMEN PANEL, KEEP IT

64, APOLOGIZE FOR THAT.

I DIDN'T KNOW-- I TALKED TOTHE FACTORY.

I MADE HAVE TO APOLOGIZE, WEHAVE TO KEEP IT 100, WE'RE

GOOD.

JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT IHAVE YOUR GUY'S BACK, I WANT

YOU TO KNOW THAT.

I CALLED THE KEEP IT 100 FACTORYIMMEDIATELY.

>> JERK

CHRISTINA, THIS IS YOURQUESTION, ALL RIGHT.

YOU CAN HAVE, CHOOSE ONE,WAGE EQUALITY FOR ALL BLACK

PEOPLE OR FOR ALL WOMEN.

WHICH GROUP DO YOU CHOOSEAND WHY?

>> BLACK PEOPLE.

>> Larry: BLACK PEOPLE.

>> THAT WAS UNEQUIVOCALKEEPING IT 100.

YOU'RE CLEAR ABOUT THAT.

>> YES.

>> Larry: WHY?

>> BECAUSE OF HISTORICALINEQUITIES, BUT I

THINK-- .

>> Larry: WOMEN HAVESUFFERED ALL ALONG.

>> BUT WE KNOW THAT PEOPLETAKE CARE OF PEOPLE AND I

THINK WHITE WOMEN WILLALWAYS BE PROTECTED.

>> Larry: BUT WOMEN INCLUDESYOU.

>> WELL, MAYBE I'M GUILTY OFPATRICIA ARQUETTE LOGIC BECAUSE

>> Larry: MAYBE YOU FORGOTTO FACTOR THAT IN

>> NO, NO, NO.

I AM, NO, I AMUNAPOLOGETICALLY LOVE BLACK

PEOPLE AND I THINK THAT'S IT.

>> Larry: GOT IT.

MARINA, YOU HAVE THEOPPORTUNITY TO LIVE FOR A

WHOLE MONTH AS A BLACK MAN TA WHITE MAN, OR A WHITE

WOMAN.

>> A WHITE MAN.

>> Larry: OH.

>> WHITE MAN.

SO EASY.

>> Larry: AND WOULD YOU WANTTO STAY THAT WAY?

>> YES.

>> Larry: YEAH.

>> WELL, YES.

>> THE AGING PART ISPRETTY BAD, ACTUALLY.

>> Larry: THIS IS GOING TOBE OUR FIRST 100 AND TEA

TOGETHER. ALL RIGHT.

ISSA, YOUR WHITE COWORKER ISDESCRIBING YOU, WOULD YOU

RATHER HAVE THEM DESCRIBEYOU AS SASSY OR ARTICULATE

AND YOU HAVE TO CHOOSE ONE.

AND THEN THAT'S WHAT YOU AREKNOWN AS FOR FROM NOW ON.

>> I'M GOING TO GO WITHARTICULATE.

I WOULD RATHER CHOOSE-- .

>> Larry: YOU DON'T WANT TOBE SASSY.

>> I HAVE TO BE SEEN ASSMART EVEN IF THEIR

EXPECTATIONS WERE LOWERED ATTHE END OF THE DAY, IT'S FINE

>> Larry: I THINK SHE KEPT IT100

>> AND ONCE THEY MEET YOU,THEY WILL SEE ARE YOU SASSY

ANYWAY.

>> SHE'S SO SASSY ANDARTICULATE.

>> Larry: OKAY, JACQUE, THISIS YOURS.

EARTH IS ABOUT TO EXPLODE,OKAY.

THIS IS BASED ON SCIENCE.

>> OKAY.

>> YOU HAVE SECURED A SPOTON THE ONLY ROCKET SHIP THAT

WILL ESCAPE TO ANOTHERHABITABLE PLANET.

YOU ARE EVE, IT WILL BE YOURJOB TO BEGIN A NEW

CIVILIZATION.

BUT YOU CAN ONLY TAKE ONEMAN WITH YOU.

AND YOU MUST CHOOSE BETWEENTHESE THREE CANDIDATES,

OKAY.

YOU HAVE TO CHOOSE ONE,JACQUE.

OKAY.

AN UGLY OVERWEIGHT BLACK GUYWHO HAS YOUR SAME INTERESTS,

OKAY.

OR A DUMB BUT HOT WHITE GUYWHO WANTS TO LIFT WEIGHTS.

OR A HARDWORKING MEXICAN GUYWHO KNOWS HOW TO BUILD STUFF

BUT CAN'T SPEAK A WORD OFENGLISH.

WHO DO YOU CHOOSE?

>> WHAT WAS THE FIRST ONEAGAIN?

>> Larry: .

>> I WOULD CHOOSE THE FIRSTONE.

>> Larry: YOU WOULDCHOOSE --

>> BECAUSE WE CAN WORK OUT,I CAN GET HIM TO LOSE WEIGHT,

WE CAN LEARN THINGSTOGETHER.

>> Larry: WHAT IF YOUR RATIONSARE GONE LIKE THAT.

>> I WOULD CHOOSE THE FIRSTONE BECAUSE I WOULD RATHER

SPEND WHAT TIME WE HAD ANBEYOND THAT WITH SOMEONE WHO

HAD COMMON INTERESTS, WITHSOMEONE I CAN CONVERSE WITH,

AND-- .

>> Larry: IS SHE KEEPING THAT100?

>> YES, YES, YES!

>> Larry: ALL RIGHT.

ANYBODY ELSE, I'M CHOOSINGTHE MEXICAN, I DON'T KNOW

ABOUT YOU.

>> I'M CHOOSING THE MEXICAN.

>> Larry: WE'LL BE RIGHTBACK.

>> Larry: THAT'S ALL THETIME WE HAVE FOR TONIGHT.

I WANT TO THANK OUR PANELIST,ISSA RAE, CHRISTINA GREER,

JACQUE REID AND MARINAFRANKLIN.

>> NOW IT IS TIME FOR ME TOKEEP IT 100.

TONIGHT'S QUESTION COMES FROM MYSTAFF. I HAVEN'T SEEN THIS YET

>> IF YOU COULD COMBINE, OHMY GOD, THREE BLACK WOMEN TO

MAKE THE PERFECT WOMAN FORYOU, WHO WOULD YOU PICK?

YOU MEAN LIKE THREE FAMOUSBLACK WOMEN?

OH, MAN.

YOU GUYS SHOULD HAVE GIVENME THIS EARLIER, I HAVE TO

THINK ABOUT THAT.

>> I'M GOING TO CHOOSE FOUR,THE WOMEN ON OUR PANEL

HA, HA, HA.

THERE YOU GO.

WE HAVE A SPECIAL GUESTLINED UP FOR MONDAY, NEW

YORK CITY MAYOR BILL DEBLASIO IS GOING TO BE HERE.

I HAVE A LOT OF QUESTIONSFOR HIM BUT I WANT QUESTIONS

FOR YOU TOO.

SO WHATEVER YOU WANT TO ASKTHE MAYOR, I WANT YOU TO

TWEET THE QUESTION YOU WANTME TO ASK HIM, OKAY WORK THE

HASHTAG KEEP IT 100.

TILL THEN, GOOD NIGHTLY,EVERYONE.

Captioning sponsored by COMEDY CENTRAL

Captioned by Media Access Group at WGBH

access.wgbh.org