February 5, 2015 - Designer Babies

  • 02/05/2015

Larry addresses the debate over genetically engineered babies with panelists Gabrielle Union, Penn Jillette, Holly Phillips and Rachel Feinstein.

>> Larry: TONIGHTLY.

WE'RE TALKING GENETICALLYENGINEERED BABIES.

WHO'S TERRIFIED AND WHO IS JUSTA CUTE LITTLE BABY?

WE'LL ASK THE QUESTION

WHO GETS TO PLAY GOD?

SORRY, MORGAN FREEMAN, WE'REGOING WHITE ON THIS ONE.

THIS SHOW'S BEEN IN VITRO LONGENOUGH.

I'M READY TO GIVE BIRTH.

LET'S DO THIS!

>> Larry: WOW.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

THANK YOU!

WELCOME TO "THE NIGHTLY SHOW."

I'M LARRY!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR COMING.

YOU KNOW, BEFORE WE START, IJUST HAVE TO ADDRESS A LITTLE

SOMETHING UP TOP.

LAST NIGHT, WE DID OUR BLACKFATHERHOOD SHOW.

I HAD A GREAT TIME.

THE SHOW WAS REALLY POWERFUL.

BUT DURING THE "KEEP IT 100" IMADE A JOKE THAT MAY HAVE RUBBED

A COUPLE OF PEOPLE THE WRONG WAY.

>> WE BROUGHT UP MARRIAGE ANDHOW A LOT OF PEOPLE JUST AREN'T

MARRYING ANYMORE

IS IT BECAUSE BLACK WOMEN ARETOO BOSSY.

ON A SCALE OF ONE TO 10, HOW BOSSY ARE BLACK WOMEN?

IT BETTER NOT BE UNDER FIVE.

LIKE I SAID--( LAUGHTER )

IT WAS A JOKE.

BUT I GET IT.

SOME PEOPLE THOUGHT WE WEREPICKING ON BLACK WOMEN.

WE WERE NOT, BLACK WOMEN

YOU GUYS KNOW I LOVE YOU.

I WAS RAISED BY A SINGLE BLACKMOTHER.

YOU KNOW IT'S ALL RIGHT HERE.

BUT I'M SORRY.

I'M SORRY.

I DIDN'T WANT TO DO ANYTHINGUM-- ALL RIGHT, I'M FUMBLING.

YOU KNOW HOW I FEEL. BUT TO BEFAIR, HERE'S HOW I FEEL

WE'RE DOING A SPECIAL SHOW ATTHE END OF THE MONTH JUST FOR

BLACK MOMS.

THAT'S FOR YOU.

IF SOME OF YOU ARE STILL UPSET.

THIS, PLEASE SEND ALL OF YOURSUGGESTIONS TO @COMMON.

( LAUGHTER )( APPLAUSE )

JUST SEND IT TO HIM.

I'LL BE-- I DON'T KNOW WHY I LETCOMMON TALK ME INTO THAT ONE.

THAT ONE'S ON ME.

( LAUGHTER )HE'S GOING TO BE VERY HAPPY.

OKAY, NOW, AT THE END OF THEDAY, WE ALL JUST WANT WHAT'S

BEST FOR OUR KIDS, RIGHT?

AND THAT BRINGS US TO TONIGHT'STOPIC.

>> THERE'S THAT PHRASE "DESIGNERBABIES HERE" WHERE PEOPLE NOW

FEAR WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS GOINGTO ALLOW PEOPLE TO CHANGE

HEIGHT, WEIGHT, SEX, EYE COLOR.

>> Larry: WOW.

YOU CAN CHOOSE THE KIND OF BABYYOU WANT?

THAT'S KIND OF LIKE BABY TINDER,RIGHT?

BLUE EYES, NOSE, BLACK HAIR.

POOPS IN HIS PANTS?

WHO WROTE THIS PROFILE?

>> WHAT KIND OF PROFILE IS THAT?

THAT'S PRETTY COOL ABOUTDESIGNER BABIES.

THIS IS AMAZING BECAUSE WE ONLYJUST PERFECTED DESIGNER FOOD.

( LAUGHTER )THE OTHER ONE WAS A CHICKEN BUN

FOR BURGERS.

THIS ONE IS A CHICKEN BUN FOR AHOT DOG.

THE FUTURE IS NOW.

THE FUTURE IS DELICIOUS.

( LAUGHTER )NOW, WHILE FOOD SCIENTISTS ARE

INCREASING OUR FOOD OPTIONS,BABY SCIENTISTS ARE INCREASING

OUR REPRODUCTION OPTIONS.

IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT PICKING EYEAND HAIR COLOR.

THEY'RE USING D.N.A. EDITING TOTRY TO ERADICATE DISEASES AND IT

APPEARS THE BRITS HAVE DECIDEDTO LEGALIZE WHAT ONE MIGHT CALL

A CHEEKY WAY TO DO IN VITROFERTILIZATION.

>> GREAT BRITAIN APPROVES THREEPERSON IN VITRO FERTILIZATION.

YES, THREE PEOPLE.

>> Larry: WOW. KEEP CALMAND ROGER ON. AREN'T YOU

GETTINGA BIT NAUGHTY. HOW FRENCHOF YOU BRITAIN.

I CAN'T WAIT TO GET ALL OF THEDETAILS OF THE SEXY LITTLE IN

VITRO THREE-WAY.

CARRY ON.

>> THE DONOR'S NUCLEUS IS TAKENOUT OF THE EMBRYO LEAVING BEHIND

HEALTHY MITOCHONDRIA.

THE NUCLEUS IS THEN EXTRACTEDFROM THE PARENT'S EMBRYO AND

ADDED TO THE DONOR'S EMBRYO,WHICH IS THEN IMPLANTED IN

THE WOMB.

>> Larry: OH?

>>( LAUGHTER )

SO THEY DON'T SHAG?

HOW BLOODY DISAPPOINTING?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

NOW, LOOK, OKAY, I GUESS THEWHOLE HAVING A CHILD WITHOUT

INHERITED DISEASE THING IS THEPOINT.

THAT'S FAIR.

AND WHILE ALL THIS GENETICSCANSE SEEMS A LITTLE BIZZARE

IT'S ALSO A LITTLE BIZARRE WHENAN UGLY COUPLE HAS A CUTE BABY.

NO OFFENSE BUT LET'S BE HONEST.

I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHERE THOSEGENES WERE HIDING.

THAT'S ALL I WANT TO KNOW.

I JUST DIDN'T SEE IT COMING,OKAY.

ALL RIGHT.

THIS ISSUE IS WHAT YOU LIKE TOCALL "FRAUGHT AS HELL."

THERE'S A LOT OF EMOTIONS,BECAUSE WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT

IS KIND OF HITLER-Y.

( LAUGHTER )RIGHT?

YOU KNOW, IN THAT EUGENIC-ISHYKIND OF WAY.

WE'RE NOT IN HITLER TOWN BUTWE'RE DEFINITELY IN THE SUBURBS,

OKAY.

HITLER MEADOWS, MAYBE.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )WE ARE HITLERTOWN ADJACENT

NOW, THAT BEING THE CASE, I JUSTWANT TO DO SOMETHING THAT HITLER

NEVER DID.

I'M GOING TO WEIGH THE PROS ANDCONS OF THIS.

ALL RIGHT?

SO LET'S BANG OUT SOME Ps ANDCs. BY THE WAY,

ANY TIME YOU ABBREVIATEMONOSYLLABIC WORDS IT TAKES

THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIME.

OKAY.

HEY, IT'S THURSDAY.

TAKE AS LONG AS YOU NEED.

THIS IS FANTASTIC.

PROS OF BABY DESIGNING.

YOU CAN GET RID OF GENETICDISEASES.

CON, IT COULD CREATE GENETICSUPER DISEASES.

PRO: SMARTER, MORE ATHLETICKIDS.

( LAUGHTER )CON: THEY JUST MIGHT TURN ON

YOU.

( LAUGHTER )( APPLAUSE )

OH, PRO: CREATE REAL-LIFEX-MEN.

CON: WAIT, THE X-MEN WEREMUTANTS SO IF ANYTHING IT WOULD

HINDER THE CREATION OF REAL-LIFEX-MEN.

( LAUGHTER )PRO: PLAYING GOD.

CON: PLAYING GOD.

PRO: INCREASED LIFE SPAN.

CON: ONLY FOR THE RICH.

( APPLAUSE )OKAY.

NOW, LOOK, GOOD OR BAD.

DESIGNER BABIES ARE COMING.

AND THE THING THAT'S REALLYWORRISOME IS THAT MOST PEOPLE

WON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO GO TO ALAB AND BUILD THEIR GENETIC

SUPER BABY WHICH MEANS WE'REGOING TO CREATE A PERMANENT

UNDERCLASS OF PEOPLE WHO ARECONCEIVED THE OLD-FASHIONED

WAY-- ON A HAUNTED HAY RIDE, ORIN THE SNACK SHACK AT THE

OUTDOOR DRIVING RANGE OR AGAINSTLINCOLN'S RIGHT LEG AT THE

LINCOLN MEMORIAL.

YOU KNOW, THE OLD-FASHIONED WAY.

AND AS UNJUST AS IT WILL BE FORBOTH PEOPLE THAT WILL BE STUCK

WITH KIDS WHO ARE MORE PRONE TODISEASE, NOT AS PRETTY AND HALF

AS SMART AS THE RICHCOUNTER-PART AS LEAST YOU CAN

PUT A HIPSTER SPIN ON REGULARBABIES TO MAKE THEM SEEM

SPECIAL. JUST TELL THEM, "BILLY,YOU'RE AN ARTISANAL BABY.

YOU ARE A 100% LOVE-CRAFTEDORGANICALLY MADE, AND SERVED

STEAMING HOT VAGINA TO TABLE.

( APPLAUSE )WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

>> Larry: WELCOME BACK.

OKAY, WE'RE TALKING ABOUTDESIGNER BABIES.

JOINING US ON ORPANEL ARE THE STAR OF "BEING

MARY JANE," GABRIELLE UNION.

AND HE'S ONE OF THE MOST AMAZINGMEN ON SO MANY DIFFERENT LEVELS

FROM PENN & TELLER AND "WIZARDWARS" ON SYFY, PENN JILLETTE.

CBS NEWS MEDICAL HEALTHCONTRIBUTOR DR. HOLLY PHILLIPS.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )AND ONE OF THE FUNNIEST

COMEDIANS WORKING THE CIRCUITOUT THERE, RACHEL FEINSTEIN.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )DOCTOR, I WANT TO START WITH YOU

ON THIS.

IT'S KIND OF A TWO-PARTQUESTION.

FIRST, TELL US THE DIFFERENCEBETWEEN EMBRYONIC REPAIR-- I

THINK IT'S CALLED-- AND DESIGNERBABIES.

AND THE SECOND PART IS WILL THEHUMAN BUTT FINALLY BE PERFECTED?

AND ANSWER THE SECOND PARTFIRST.

JUST GIVE ME A YEAR.

>> YES, OF COURSE,.

>> Larry: 2018.

>> SURE, SURE.

YOU KNOW WHAT, ALL WE'RE TALKINGABOUT WITH THIS NEW MITO-

CONDRIAL TRANSFER IS PERFECTLYFOR SCIENTIFIC ADVANCEMENT,

PEOPLE WITH GENETIC ILLNESS,TRANSFER THROUGH MITOCHONDRIA.

IT IS NOT GOING TO CHANGE THEMAIN GENETICS OF THE CELLS.

>> Larry: IT'S STRICTLY FOR GENETIC DISORDERS.

AND IT DOESN'T AFFECT OURCHROMOSOMES, IT DOESN'T AFFECT

OUR 20,000 GENES SO YOU END UPBEING THE SAME PERSON.

>> Larry: WHAT ABOUT THEGENETIC DESIGN?

>> YOU KNOW, WHAT THE-- THEISSUE IS WHENEVER THESE THINGS

COME UP, WE HEAR IT GOES VERYAYN RAND VERY QUICKLY, AND YOU

HEAR PEOPLE TALK ABOUT ASLIPPERY SLOPE.

THE ONLY REASON I THINK THAT'SMISGUIDED IS BECAUSE --

>> WHENEVER I THINK AYN RAND ITHINK SLIPPERY SLOPE.

>> I KNOW.

>> HUBBA HUBBA.>> CAN YOU GET A BUTT THAT'S

NEIGHBORHOOD APPROVED? DESIGNYOUR CHILD'S BUT AHEAD OF TIME

>> I THINK THAT IN TIME, NOTNOW, BUT IN TIME, I DON'T KNOW

HOW MANY YEARS OR DECADES, WEWILL BE ABLE TO LOOK AT D.N.A.

AND SEE WHAT EVERYTHING'S GOINGTO LOOK LIKE-- EYE COLOR, HAIR

COLOR.

>> Larry: RIGHT.

>> BUTT SHAPE, WHATEVER IT IS.

>> YOU AND YOUR WIFE DID I.V.F.?

WAS THERE ANY CONCERN ABOUT THESCIENCE?

>> I WAS SO EXCITED TO BE ON THESHOW BECAUSE IT'S THE FIRST TIME

I HAVE BEEN ON TELEVISION WITH ASUBJECT AT LEAST TANGENTIALY I

KNEW SOMETHING ABOUT.>>BEFORE THAT IT WAS BULL(BLEEP)

>> MY DAUGHTER, MOXIE, WHO ISNINE NOW, IS A TEST TUBE BABY.

>> Larry: SHE WAS CONCEIVED INA TEST TUBE?

>> YOU KNOW, I.V.F.

AND WHILE SHE WAS ACTUALLYCONCEIVED, I WAS WORKING ON

THE CARD SLEIGHTS IN A DOCTOR'SOFFICE.

I WENT INTO THE AREA I GUESSCALLED THE MASTURBATORIUM.

>> Larry: AND DID YOU TAKE THECARDS WITH YOU?

>> I DID.

HAD THEM IN MY POCKET ANDTHEY'RE RIGHT HERE NOW.

AND THEY HAD PICTURES UP FOR METO BE ABLE TO DO THAT.

IT WAS ALL-- ALL WOMEN WHO IMADE CRY ON TV.

IT JUST HAPPENED TO BE.

THAT WASN'T THEIR PLAN.

IT JUST HAPPENED TO BE PEOPLE -->> I.V.F. HAS A LOT OF SHAME AND

HUMILIATION.

>> LOTS FOR ME.

HERE'S THE THING THAT BOTHERSME.

EVERYBODY 40 YEARS AGO, I GUESSIT WAS, WHEN IT STARTED IN

ENGLAND, THE I.V.F., WHERE THEYFIRST MADE IT LEGAL, EVERYBODY

WAS TALKING ABOUT THIS IS GOINGTO BE HORRIBLE.

THIS IS A TERRIBLE THING.

BOYS FROM BRAZIL.

THE ONLY REASON PEOPLE WEREAGAINST IT WAS THE MOVIE "THE

BOYS FROM BRAZIL."

>> Larry: I MADE THE JOKESABOUT THE NAZIS--

>> WE WEREN'T EVEN GIVEN THEHITLER OPTION.

DO YOU WANT YOUR CHILD TO BEHITLER.

>> Larry: HOW DO YOU LIKE THISMUSTACHE?

>> THEY DIDN'T EVEN GIVE US THEOPTION.

>> Larry: I'M CONCERNED ABOUTTHE CLASS ISSUE BECAUSE SOME

PEOPLE AREN'T GOING TO BE ABLETO PAY FOR THIS.

ARE WE SETTING UP A SUPER CLASSOF PEOPLE?

>> WE HAVE THAT ALREADY.

THEY'RE CALLED WHITE PEOPLE.

( LAUGHTER )( APPLAUSE )

>> Larry: OH!

>> KEEPING IT 100.

>> Larry: OH, SNAP.

>> NO, I MEAN, REALISTICALLY,I.V.F. IS INCREDIBLY EXPENSIVE

WITHOUT ADDING EXTRA GENETICTESTING.

I THINK IF YOU DO A FIVE-DAYTRANSFER, YOU HAVE THE OPTION TO

DO GENETIC TESTING AND YOU CANFIND OUT THE GENDER.

THAT'S AN ADDITIONAL 10, 20GRAND.

SO WHEN YOU ADD IN EYE COLOR,ALL OF THAT OTHER STUFF, IT'S

INCREDIBLY EXPENSIVE.

SO THE PEOPLE WHO COULD EVENAFFORD IS, IT'S A VERY, VERY

SMALL, SMALL -->> IT'S SMALL NOW-- RACHEL ARE

YOU SINGLE OR MARRIED?

>> I'M SINGLE.

>> Larry: I DON'T WANT TO GETYOU IN TROUBLE.

>> I THINK-- YEAH, FOR EVERYWOMAN, PREGNANCY, WHATEVER THEY

WANT TO DO IT'S THEIR OWNJOURNEY.

>> Larry: AND IT'S VERYEMOTIONAL, A VERY COMPLICATED

ISSUE.

>> SOME PEOPLE CHOOSE TO ADOPT.

SOME PEOPLE IT'S VERY IMPORTANTFOR THEM TO CONCEIVE.

I'M PREGNANT BUT NOT FOR LONG.

WE ALL HAVE-- NO -->> Larry: WELL DONE, RACHEL,

WELL DONE.

>> ALL FUN-LOVING ABORTION JOKESASIDE.

>> Larry: I'M ABORTING MYCHILD RIGHT NOW, LARRY.

>> I MEAN, I THINK THE WHOLEIDEA IS KIND OF INTERESTING THAT

YOU CAN DESIGN YOUR CHILD AHEADOF TIME OR WHATEVER.

BUT, LIKE, I ALSO FEEL LIKE THEIDEA THAT YOU-- THAT YOU HAVE

TWO WOMEN AND THEN A LITTLE--AND ONE GUY AND THEN-- BUT

THERE'S, LIKE, A MAIN WOMAN, ANDTHEN YOU CAN PUT A LITTLE BIT OF

D.N.A. FROM A SECOND WOMAN, I'VEHEARD THEY DO THAT NOW.

>> Larry: I DON'T THINK IT'SD.N.A.

THE MITOCHONDRIA IS JUST LIKETHE MOTOR--

>> THE MITOCHONDRIA-- LOOK, IDON'T UNDERSTAND ANY OF THESE

WORDS.

>> Larry: YOU'RE JUST MAKINGTHIS ( BLEEP ) UP.

>> A PIECE OF THIS, A DOLLOP OFTHAT, A WHISPER-- THE POINT IS

THERE'S ONE MAIN WOMAN DONOR ANDTHEN THERE'S, LIKE, A MAN AND

THEY CAN DO THIS THING WHERETHEY JUST PUT A LITTLE OF A

SECOND-- JUST LIKE A THREE-SOME.

>> Larry: YOU REALLY AREMAKING THIS UP NOW.

>> THAT'S HOW IT WORKS.

THERE'S A MAIN WOMAN AND A SIDEPIECE, JUST LIKE A THREESOME

>> RIGHT, A SIDE PIECE.

>> IT'S 99.9% THE PARENTS ANDTHE SIDE PIECE IS ONLY .1.

>> Larry: SHOULD WOULD BEENCOURAGING MORE SIDE-PIECE

RELATIONSHIPS.

>> WHY IS THE EXAMPLE AS THEONLY ONE SITTING HERE WHO

ACTUALLY HAS BLUE EYES, ITHASN'T AMOUNT TO {BLEEP) FOR ME

WHY WOULD YOU CHOOSE BLUE EYES?YOU'RE DOING PRETTY GOOD,

PENN?

>> IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL.

I HAVE THE BLUE EYES.

MY PARENTS WOULD HAVE MUCHRATHER HAVE SMARTER OR BETTER

LOOKING.

THE BLUE EYES DOESN'T DO MUCH.

SO MUCH OF IS NOT JUST THEENVIRONMENT OF HOW YOU'RE RAISED

BUT ALSO THE ENVIRONMENT THEGENES FORM IN, IN THE-- DURING

THE WHOLE TIME THE BABY ISCARRIED TO TERM.

ALL OF THAT DOES-- WHAT WE'REFINDING OUT ABOUT D.N.A. IS IT'S

NOT A RECIPE.

THERE'S VERY LITTLEA-TO-A CORRESPONDENCE.

WE FIND OUT EVEN FOR SIMPLETHINGS LIKE HEIGHT, WHICH IS

VERY GENETICALLY DETERMINED,THERE ARE HUNDREDS, THOUSANDS,

TENS OF THOUSANDS OF GENES THATWORK TOGETHER IN CONCERT IN WAYS

WE DON'T UNDERSTAND.

WE'RE TRYING TO MAKE THEDECISION, TALK ABOUT IT NOW, AND

WE DON'T NEED TO.

SMARTER PEOPLE, OUR CHILDREN,OUR GRANDCHILDREN, OUR

GREAT-GRANDCHILDREN WILL HAVE TOCONFRONT THIS.

WE DON'T HAVE TO BECAUSE ALL THESTUFF WE'RE TALKING ABOUT WE

CAN'T DO.

>> Larry: WE KIND OF DOBECAUSE WE HAVE A TV SHOW RIGHT

NOW.

>> SORRY.

>> Larry: I AM FASCINATED-->> BROWN EYES DO BETTER.

BROWN EYES ARE THEPROFESSIONALS.

>> Larry:... THE WHOLE TURNINGOFF THE GENE THING, WHERE YOU--

LIKE, IF YOU COULD TURN OFF ONETRAIT.

IF YOU WISH YOUR PARENTS COULDHAVE TURNED OFF ONE TRAIT FROM

YOU WHAT WOULD IT HAVE BEEN?

>> THAT THEY GAVE ME.

>> Larry: YES, THAT YOU ISHAVE.

>> FAILURE TO BE ABLE TO DOMATHEMATICS.

LIKE I SUCK AT MATH.

I'M PRETTY SURE I GOT IT FROM MYMOTHER.

>> Larry: ANY TRAIT YOU HAVETHAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO GET RID

OF?

>> YES, I'M DEEPLYINCOORDINATED.

BUT I HAVE TO SAY, WE'REEVERYTHING ELSE.

MAYBE I SHOULD HAVE DONE MOREGYMNASTICS.

>> Larry: WHAT ABOUT YOU,RACHEL.

>> THERE'S ALWAYS SOME RANCIDTHING IN YOUR GENE --

>> RANCID?

>> YES, I'M EASTERN EUROPEAN JEWAND IRISH SO THERE'S JUST, LIKE,

A COCKTAIL OF NEUROSIS ANDDEPRESSION, FEAR AND ALCOHOLISM

>> Larry: GET IT ALL OUT.

>> ARE YOU AROUSED RIGHT NOW.

>> Larry: I'M VERY AROUSED.

PENN, ANYTHING FOR YOU?

>> ANYTHING THAT WOULD MAKE MESOMEONE ELSE.

>> Larry: THERE YOU GO.

>> JUST TURN OFF ANYTHING THAT'SPENN JILLETTE.

>> Larry: WE'LL BE RIGHT BACKAND TALK MORE ABOUT THIS.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )>> Larry: THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

NOW IT'S TIME TO GET REAL ON APERSONAL LEVEL.

LET'S "KEEP IT 100".

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES, GUYS.

I'M GOING TO ASK EACH OF YOU AQUESTION AND YOU HAVE TO KEEP IT

100% REAL WITH YOUR ANSWER.

IF THE AUDIENCE THINKS YOU'REKEEPING IT 100% REAL THEY WILL

APPLAUD, AND IF YOU DO NOT THEYWILL...

>> BOO!

>> Larry: IF YOU KEEP IT 100YOU GET THE STICKER, IF NOT I

SERVE YOU WEAK TEA.

WE DID SOMETHING FUN LAST NIGHT.

EVERYBODY IS GOING TO GET THESAME QUESTION.

SO THAT'S KIND OF FUN.

WE'RE GOING TO START WITH YOU,GABRIELLE.

SO IF ANY OF YOU GUYS HAVE KIDS,WE'RE GOING TO PRETEND THAT

NOBODY HAS KIDS NOW.

SO WE'RE ASSUMING YOU'RE AT THATPOINT, AND YOU HAVE THE CHANCE

TO GENETICALLY ENGINEER YOURBABY RIGHT NOW.

HERE'S THE CAVEAT-- YOU CAN ONLYHAVE ONE BABY.

THIS IS IT.

THIS IS YOUR ONLY SHOT.

>> A SUPER BABY?

>> Larry: IT MIGHT BE A SUPERBABY.

THIS IS YOUR ONLY CHILD.

YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ANOTHER BABY,YOU CAN'T ADOPT, NO TRICKY STUFF

LIKE THAT.

BUT YOU HAVE TO DECIDE WHETHERIT'S A BOY OR A GIRL.

WHAT DO YOU CHOOSE?

>> GIRL.

>> Larry: AND WHY?

>> HOPEFULLY SHE LOOKS LIKE ME.

I'M A LITTLE VAIN.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )>> Larry: THAT WAS 100.

THAT WAS 100.

>> WOW!

>> Larry: BOY OR GIRL?

>> I'LL GO WITH GIRL.

THEY'RE JUST SMARTER.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )>> Larry: HOLD ON!

HOLD ON!

HOLD ON, AUDIENCE!

HOLD ON!

HOLD ON!

ARE YOU-- ARE YOU CLAPPINGBECAUSE YOU LIKE THAT ANSWER OR

BECAUSE YOU THOUGHT SHE WASKEEPING IT 100?

KEEP IT 100.

>> I'M BEING HONEST!

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )>> Larry: ALL RIGHT.

I'M GOING LIKE THIS-- HMMM.

OKAY, RACHEL, BOY OR GIRL?

>> I'D HAVE TO SAY-- I MEAN IPERFORM --

>> YOU PERFORM?

>>>> I PREFER WOMEN IN GENERAL,

BUT I HAVE TO SAY PROBABLY A BOYBECAUSE HIS LIFE WILL BE EASIER.

YOU KNOW, HE DOESN'T HAVE TO-- ILIKE HOW DISTURBINGLY SILENT YOU

ARE.

YOU'RE LIKE REALLY?

IT'S SOMEHOW HARDER TO BE AWOMAN.

>> Larry: SO A BOY?

>> YEAH, LIFE IS EASIER.

PEOPLE GIVE HIM LESS OF A HARDTIME.

DOESN'T GET HARASSED WHEN HEWALKS DOWN THE STREET.

>> Larry: WHAT RACE, BLACK ORWHITE?

>> BLACK.

YOU KNOW WHY?

BECAUSE I'M WORTH IT.

I'M WORTH IT.

>> Larry: HMMM.

>> I WANT A BLACK SON!

( BOOING ).

>> Larry: NO?

WHAT DO YOU SAY?

( CHEERS )I THINK YOU HAVE TO HAVE A

LITTLE BIT OF BOTH.

THERE YOU GO.

THERE YOU GO.

ALL RIGHT, YOU HAVEN'T HAD KIDS,DIDN'T DO THE I.V.F..

AND NOW YOU'RE GOING TO DO THE"B" OR "G"?

>> I WOULD SAY A GIRL BECAUSEALL STATISTICS SAY THE MORE

WOMEN YOU HAVE IN A SOCIETY, THEMORE WOMEN YOU HAVE IN POWER,

THE MORE PEACE AND LESSVIOLENCE YOU HAVE.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )AND ALSO I'LL ADD TO THAT

BECAUSE OF THAT BECAUSE OF--BECAUSE OF THINGS THAT WERE DONE

IN CHINA IN THE MIDDLE EAST,MOSTLY, WE NOW HAVE AN IMBALANCE

WE HAVE TOO FEW WOMEN IN THEWORLD.

FOR WORLD PEACE, THE ONLY CHOICEIS WOMEN.

>> Larry: THAT IS ONE OF THEMOST "KEEP IT 100" ANSWERS I

HAVE EVER HEARD.

YOU'RE GOING TO GET A COUPLE OFSTICKERS.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK!

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ).

>> IF YOU ARE IN NEW YORK CITYOR MAKING PLANS TO VISIT, GRAB

IN FREE TICKETS TO ATTEND ANUPCOMING TABLE OF "THE NIGHTLY

SHOW."

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )>> Larry: OKAY, THAT'S ALL THE

TIME WE HAVE FOR TONIGHT.

I WANT TO THANK OUR PANELGABRIELLE UNION, PENN JILLETTE,

DR. HOLLY PHILLIPS, RACHELFEINSTEIN.

GIVE THEM A NICE ROUND OFAPPLAUSE, EVERYBODY.

AS ALWAYS, THANKS FOR HELPING MEKEEP IT 100 ON TWITTER.

EACH OF OUR PANELISTS HAD TOANSWER A TOUGH QUESTION AND I

HOLD MYSELF TO THE SAME STANDARD

I DON'T GET A CHANCE TO SEE THEQUESTION UNTIL NOW.

TONIGHT'S QUESTION COMES FROM@G_TRIPPO.

IF YOUR CHILD COULD BE THE NEXTMICHAEL JORDAN OR THE NEXT NEIL

DEGRASSE TYSON, WHO WOULD YOUCHOOSE?

ACTUALLY, I ALMOST GAVE ANANSWER QUICK THERE.

I THINK I'M GOING TO GO WITHNEIL DEGRASSE.

BECAUSE HE CAN NEIL DEGRASSELONGER THAN HE CAN MICHAEL JORDAN.

I GET A STICKER.

I GET A STICKER.

JOIN US NEXT WEEK FOR ALL NEWEPISODES OF "THE NIGHTLY SHOW."

REMEMBER TO FOLLOW "THE NIGHTLYSHOW" ON TWITTER AND KEEP AN EYE

OUT FOR THE TOPIC WE'LL TACKLEON MONDAY.

UNTIL THEN, GOOD NIGHTLY,EVERYBODY.