Conn Iggulden

April 27, 2010 - Conn Iggulden 04/27/2010 Views: 17,020

Conn Iggulden wants to make it clear that an ordinary person can be a hero, and we can all be inspired by heroic stories. (5:44)

EVERYBODY.

MY GUEST TONIGHT COWROTE "THE DANGEROUS BOOK OF HEROES."

I HOPE IT'S JUST PICTURES OF RONALD REAGAN TAPED TO A GRENADE.

PLEASE WELCOME CONN IGGULDEN.

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

CONN.

>> YES.

>> Stephen: GOOD TO SEE YOU AGAIN.

THANKS FOR COMING BACK.

>> IT'S A PLEASURE.

>> Stephen: WOULD YOU LIKE A GRAPE?

>> YES, YES.

>> Stephen: THERE YOU GO.

>> OKAY.

>> Stephen: THINK I'LL HAVE A DATE.

MMM.

NOW, SIR, LAST TIME YOU WERE HERE, YOU WERE HERE TO PUSH "THE DANGEROUS BOOK OF BOYS."

>> FOR BOYS.

>> Stephen: FOR WHAT?

>> FOR BOYS.

>> Stephen: THERE'S A DIFFERENCE.

>> YES, THERE IS.

>> Stephen: THE DANGEROUS BOOK OF BOYS IS PROBABLY NOT SAFE FOR WORDS.

"THE DANGEROUS BOOK FOR BOYS" HUGE HIT.

I'M SURE IT ENDANGERED MANY CHILDREN.

>> HOPE SO.

>> Stephen: NOW YOU HAVE A NEW BOOK CALLED "THE DANGEROUS BOOK OF HEROES."

WHAT MAKES A HERO DANGEROUS?

>> WE DIDN'T WANT... I DID IT WITH A DIFFERENT BROTHER.

>> Stephen: BECAUSE YOU DID THE LAST ONE WITH ONE BROTHER AND YOU WROTE WITH A NEW BROTHER.

WILL YOU RUN OUT OF BOOKS WHEN YOU RUN OUT OF BROTHERS?

>> YES.

I THINK SO.

I THINK SO.

I HAVE ONE MORE BROTHER TO DO IT WITH.

>> Stephen: WONDERFUL.

>> TO BE HONEST, WORKING WITH ME I THINK SORT OF USES THEM UP, SO

I CAN ONLY DO ONE PER BROTHER.

>> Stephen: YOU'RE WEARING YOUR BROTHERS OUT.

>> I THINK SO.

THEY'RE SORT OF LIKE A DRY HUSK AFTER THE END OF THE BOOK.

BUT WE DIDN'T WANT TO DO A BOOK OF MOTHER TERESA, ALTHOUGH SHE WAS WONDERFUL.

>> Stephen: AND VERY DANGEROUS.

>> IN THE WRONG MOOD.

WE WANTED TO DO PEOPLE WHO HAD INTERESTING LIVES WHO WEREN'T NECESSARILY ALWAYS NICE AND

LIKABLE PEOPLE, BUT THEY ACHIEVED GREAT THINGS, LIVED THROUGH STORED PERIODS OF HISTORY.

>> Stephen: LIKE WHO?

WHO IS THE MOST DANGEROUS PEOPLE IN HERE?

>> WELL, I'LL TRY AND THINK OF A DECENT EXAMPLE.

>> Stephen: WASHINGTON.

THE VERY FIRST PERSON IN HERE IS GEORGE WASHINGTON, WHICH SAYS TWO THINGS.

ONE IS YOU AS AN ENGLISHMAN KNEW IT WAS HEROIC FOR GEORGE WASHINGTON TO KICK YOUR BUTT.

[LAUGHTER]

AND SECOND, YOU KNOW HE'S DANGEROUS BECAUSE HE WAS NOT ONLY HEROIC, BUT HE HAD VENOM IN

HIS WOODEN FEET.

[LAUGHTER]

YOU'VE GOT... NOT EVERYONE IN HERE EVERYONE WOULD THINK IS HEROIC, CORRECT?

>> NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT.

WE HAVE SOME OF THE OBVIOUS ONE,

AS YOU SAY, GEORGE WASHINGTON AND HELEN KELLER, PEOPLE LIKE THAT.

[LAUGHTER]

>> Stephen: ALSO VERY DANGEROUS.

>> YES, YEAH.

>> Stephen: SCRATCH YOUR EYES OUT.

>> YES, NOT WELL.

BUT SOME OF THE OTHER PEOPLE, I MEAN, WE PUT IN PEOPLE LIKE THE SOLDIERS, FOR EXAMPLE.

>> Stephen: WHAT HAPPENED TO THEM?

>> WHEN THE AMERICAN SOLDIERS CAME TO LIBERATE THEM, THEY FOUND A GLIDER ON THE ROOF,

30-FOOT WINGSPAN.

THAT KIND OF COURAGE APEEMS TO ME, NOT ALL RUNNING INTO BULLETS.

THE STUFF THAT KEEPS YOUR SPIRIT UP AFTER YEARS IS IMPRESSIVE.

>> Stephen: DO YOU HAVE TO BE IN CONFLICT TO BE A HERO?

DO YOU HAVE TO BE FIGHTING FOR SOMETHING?

>> THIS IS THE BIG QUESTION.

NO, THE SIMPLE ANSWER IS NO BECAUSE THERE IS A KIND OF HEY WIMP THAT INVOLVES SIMPLY

KEEPING YOUR JOB WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE IT.

>> Stephen: WHAT'S THE SUPER COMPLEX ANSWER?

>> THE SUPER COMPLEX ANSWER IS...

>> Stephen: YES.

>> POSSIBLY YES.

>> Stephen: ARE YOU COMFORTABLE?

>> NO.

>> Stephen: NEITHER AM I.

DO YOU WANT TO GO INDIAN STYLE?

>> I CAN FOLD THEM ONCE.

>> Stephen: I LEARNED THIS FROM YOUR DANGEROUS BOOK OF BOYS.

YOU ENCOURAGED THIS TYPE OF BEHAVIOR.

>> YES, I DID.

IT'S GOOD.

>> Stephen: YOU HAVE A GUY IN HERE WHO I DON'T THINK IS A HERO AT OF.

YOU HAVE OLIVER CROMWELL IN HERE.

>> HE WAS A DIFFICULT CHOICE.

>> Stephen: IT IS.

I'M 100% IRISH.

>> MY MOTHER IS.

>> Stephen: FOR ALL I KNOW IS YOUR MOTHER IS A DANGEROUS PERSON, AS WELL.

>> SHE IS NOW.

YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN HER AFTER I WROTE THE CHAPTER.

>> Stephen: DO YOU HAVE TO BE A MAN?

>> GOD, NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT.

>> Stephen: JUST A QUESTION.

>> THE POINT ABOUT THESE EXTRAORDINARY LIVES IS I HOPE THEY INSPIRE THOSE OF US LIVING

ORDINARY LIVES TO BE BETTER PEOPLE, TO BE BRAZIER.

I THINK THAT'S IMPORTANT.

THAT'S WHY THESE STORIES ARE SO INTERESTING.

THEY'RE ALSO GOOD STORIES.

>> Stephen: DO YOU HAVE A PERSONAL HERO IN HERE?

>> THE ONE THAT... THE CHAPTER THAT MATTERED A GREAT DEAL TO ME BECAUSE THE PEOPLE IN IT WERE

ORDINARY PEOPLE WERE THE PASSENGERS ON FLIGHT 93 BECAUSE THEY COULD HAVE BEEN ME OR YOU

OR JUST ABOUT ANYBODY, AND IN 35 MINUTES THEY WENT FROM NOT KNOWING WHAT WAS GOING ON THE

KNOWING WHAT WAS GOING ON AND ORGANIZING THEMSELVES, AND THAT'S PRETTY IMPRESSIVE, PARTLY

BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO HAVE A MESSAGE IN THE BOOK THAT YOU HAD

TO BE SOMEHOW A SUPERMAN OR HAVE INCREDIBLE TALENT.

I WANTED IT TO BE CLEAR THAT AN ORDINARY PERSON CAN BE A HERO,

AND WE CAN ALL BE INSPIRED BY HEROIC STORIES.

>> Stephen: ARE THERE ANY BLANK PAGES HERE SO YOU CAN WRITE IN YOUR OWN HEROES, ONE

BLANK PAGE AT THE END TO SAY "MY DAD."

>> HONESTLY, THAT'S NOT A BAD IDEA.

>> Stephen: THINK ABOUT IT FOR FATHER'S DAY.

CONN, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR COMING BACK.

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

THE BOOK ||

All Shows

#
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z