Steven M. Wise

July 17, 2014 - Steven M. Wise 07/17/2014 Views: 18,915

"Rattling the Cage" author Steven M. Wise makes the case for giving animals the same legal rights as humans. (5:28)

>> Stephen: WELCOME BACK,EVERYBODY.

MY GUEST TONIGHT THINKS THATSOME ANIMALS DESERVE THE SAME

RIGHTS AS HUMANS. PLEASE WELCOMESTEVEN WISE.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)MR. WISE, THANK YOU FOR

BEING HERE.

ALL RIGHT, SIR, THANKS FORCOMING ON THE SHOW.

I GOT A COUPLE WARNINGSRIGHT UP FRONT, OKAY.

YOU WANT-- YOU'RE A LAWYERRIGHT.

>> I AM.

>> AND YOU'RE TRYING TO GETANIMALS THE SAME RIGHTS AS

HUMANS HAVE.

IN A COURT OF LAW.

>> I'M TRYING TO GET ACHIMPANZEE THE RIGHT TO GET

OUT OF A CAGE ON A WRIT OFHABEAS CORPUS.

>> Stephen: OKAY SO, HUMANS,FIRST OF ALL-- DON'T WORRY,

I'LL GET HIM.

NOW-- WHAT'S YOUR ARGUMENTHERE.

ANIMALS ARE ANIMALS, HUMANSARE HUMANS, NEVER THE TWAIN

SHALL MEET, READ YOUR BIBLE.

WHAT'S YOUR ARGUMENT.

>> A CHIMPANZEE IS ANEXTRAORDINARY BEING.

SHE IS AUTONOMOUS.

SHE CAN BE DID --.

>> Stephen: WHAT DOESAUTONOMOUS MEAN.

>> THAT'S WHAT JUDGES ASK.

>> Stephen: YEAH.

>> IT MEANS THAT SHE CANTHINK ABOUT THE PAST.

SHE CAN THINK ABOUT THEFUTURE.

SHE CAN THINK ABOUT HOW SHEWANTS TO LIVE HER LIFE.

SHE CAN SELF-DETERMINE.

AND THESE ARE THE SAMETHINGS THAT MAKE US SO IMPORTANT

THAT MAKE US WANT TO FILEWRITS OF HABEAS CORPUS WHEN

WE ARE THROWN IN HUMAN JAIL,WHEN SHE IS THROWN IN

CHIMPANZEE JAIL.

>> Stephen: YOU SAY BECAUSEAN ANIMAL IS AUTONOMOUS,

THAT SOME ANIMAL CAN MAKEDECISIONS ABOUT WHAT THEY'RE

DOING WITH THEIR LIFE THATTHEY SHOULD HAVE HABEAS

CORPUS.

>> ABSOLUTELY.

>> Stephen: THAT'S ANARGUMENT SAYING SHIA LABEOUF

SHOULD NOT HAVE HABEASCORPUS.

>> THAT'S TRUE.

>> Stephen: THAT'S WHAT YOUJUST SAID.

YOU GOT A BOOK HERE.

A "NEW YORK TIMES" SUNDAYMAGAZINE HERE, HIS DAY IN

COURT, OKAY.

THIS IS ABOUT ONE, AT LEASTONE OF YOUR CHIMPS THERE.

>> TOMMY.

>> Stephen: TOMMY, HE'S ACHIMP.

WE HAVE A PICTURE OF TOMMYUP HERE.

>> THAT'S TOMMY.

>> Stephen: LET'S TAKE ITDOWN BECAUSE IT IS SAD

MAKING.

LET'S TAKE THAT DOWN.

OKAY, WHY, WHY DOES TOMMYWANT OUT?

>> TOMMY WANTS OUT BECAUSEHE'S A CHIMPANZEE

>> Stephen: HAS HE TOLD YOU.

>> HE HAS NOT TOLD ME.

>> Stephen: HOW DO YOU KNOWHE DOESN'T LIKE WHERE HE IS

RIGHT NOW.

>> BECAUSE JANE GOODALL ANDOTHER PEOPLE TOLD ME THAT NO

CHIMPANZEE WANTS TO BE KEPTLIKE THAT.

>> Stephen: OKAY, BUT MANHAS DOMINION OVER ANIMALS,

RIGHT?

>> I DIDN'T KNOW THAT.

>> Stephen: YES.

WELL-- WELL, WE EAT THEM.

WE BETTER, ARE YOU AVEGETARIAN.

>> NOT TOMMY.

YOU'RE NOT GOING TO EATTOMMY.

>> Stephen: NOT IF YOU LETHIM OUT.

(LAUGHTER)>> Stephen: OKAY, BUT THIS

REALLY DOES, YOU'VE ALSO GOTA BOOK THAT'S OUT IN

PAPERBACK NOW, RE-RELEASEDCALLED RATTLING THE CAGE

TOWARD LEGAL RIGHT FORANIMALS.

>> YES.

>> Stephen: YOU'RE ON YOURWEB SITE HERE 2003 YOU SAID

OUR GOAL IS TO BREACH THELEGAL WALL THAT SEPARATES

ALL HUMANS FROM ALL NONHUMANANIMALS.

THIS CASE IS JUST THEBEGINNING.

THIS IS THE CAMEL'S NOSE UNDERTHE TENT FLAP AND THEN THE CAMEL

GETS HABAEUS CORPUS TOO.

WHY SHOULD ALL ANIMALS HAVELEGAL STANDING?

>>.

>> THEY SHOULDN'T.

WE AREN'T SAY-- .

>> Stephen: ALL NONHUMANANIMALS, YOUR WORDS.

>> I THINK YOU'RE TWISTINGTHOSE WORDS.

(LAUGHTER)>> Stephen: I ACCURATELY

QUOTED THOSE WORDS.

>> OUR GOAL IS TOBREACH THE LEGAL WALL THAT

SEPARATES ALL HUMANS FROMALL NONHUMAN ANIMALS.

>> THAT'S RIGHT.

>> Stephen: AGAIN, YOU ARETAKING MANKIND OFF OF THE

TOP OF THE ORGANIZATIONALCHART IF YOU ALLOW ANIMALS

TO ALSO HAVE LEGAL STANDING.

THEN MY DOG CAN SUE TO GETON MY COUCH.

>> I DIDN'T SAY YOUR DOG, ISAID YOUR CHIMPANZEE AND

YOUR ELEPHANT AND YOUR-- .

>> Stephen: WHAT DO YOU HAVEAGAINST MY DOG.

>> NO,-- I WILL GIVE MY CARD,YOU GIVE THE CARD TO YOUR

DOG.

(LAUGHTER)(APPLAUSE)

>> Stephen: WHY IS TOMMY INPRISON RIGHT NOW, WHAT DID

HE DO?

>> HE WAS BORN A CHIMPANZEE.

AND BECAUSE HE'S ACHIMPANZEE HE'S OUR SLAVE.

WE CAN DO WHATEVER WE WANTTO HIM.

AND THE FOLKS THAT AREKEEPING HIM ARE KEEPING HIM

IN THE WAY YOU JUST SAW.

THEY ARE ALLOWED TO KEEPTHEM IN THOSE KINDS OF

CONDITIONS.

WE WANT TO GET THEM OUT.

>> Stephen: AND WHAT YOURDESIRE FOR TOMMY DOES TO OUR

LEGAL SYSTEM AND THESTANDING OF MANKIND, AND OUR

PRIMACY IN OUR VISION OF THEUNIVERSE IS JUST, JUST

WRECKAGE ON THE WAY TO YOURMAD GOAL TO RELEASE ONE

CHIMP.

>> A SIMPLE YES OR NO.

(LAUGHTER)(APPLAUSE)

>> WHAT IS DOES IS IT SHOWSTHAT WE CAN EXTEND JUSTICE

TO WHEREVER THERE SHOULD BEJUSTICE, WHETHER WE ARE

DEALING WITH A HUMAN OR ANYOTHER BEING.

>> Stephen: LISTEN IF TOMMYWANTS TO HAVE RIGHTS-- IF

TOMMY-- IF TOMMY WANTS TOHAVE RIGHTS AS A PERSON HE

SHOULD FORM HIS OWNCORPORATION.

(APPLAUSE)THANK YOU SO MUCH

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> Stephen: STEVEN WISE.

THE BOOK IS RATTLING THECAGE.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.