StePhest Colbchella '012 - Wayne Coyne

August 16, 2012 - The Flaming Lips 08/16/2012 Views: 10,075

The Flaming Lips' lead singer, Wayne Coyne, discusses his 13-year stint at Long John Silver's, stolen music equipment and his "fwends" Kesha and Yoko Ono. (6:31)

>> Stephen: WELCOME BACK,

EVERYBODY.

MY GUEST TONIGHT IS THE LEADER OF A PSYCHEDELIC ROCK GROUP FROM OKLAHOMA.

I DIDN'T KNOW YOU COULD GET HIGH ON CORN.

PLEASE WELCOME WAYNE COYNE!

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Stephen: WAYNE, HI,

HELLO.

NICE TO SEE YOU.

>> HELLO, STEPHEN COLBERT,

WE'RE IN A SPACE CAPSULE,

AREN'T WE.

>> Stephen: YEAH.

YOU CAN IMAGINE BEING STRAPPED INTO ONE OF THESE THINGS AND FIRED ON THE TOP

OF A GIANT BOTTLE OF LIQUID HYDROGEN, LIQUID OXYGEN AND BE SENT INTO THE ATMOSPHERE LIKE THAT.

>> YEAH, I THOUGHT ABOUT THAT.

TAKE A LOT OF DRUGS AND MAYBE BE PASSED OUT FOR THE TAKEOFF AND WAKE UP WHEN ARE YOU UP THERE.

>> Stephen: A LOT OF YOUR MUSIC SOUNDS LIKE THE IDEAS COME FROM OUTER SPACE.

>> I KNOW.

I CAN SEE WHERE PEOPLE WOULD THINK THAT.

>> Stephen: YOU LOOK GOOD ON YOUR BACK.

>> DO I.

>> Stephen: YES.

YOU DO TOO.

>> Stephen: I'M GUESSING THAT'S NOT THE FIRST TIME YOU'VE HEARD THAT.

>> IT'S THE FIRST TIME I'VE HEARD IT FROM YOU.

>> Stephen: WAYNE, BEING IN THIS CAPSULE WITH YOU, LYING NEXT TO YOU LIKE THIS, DOES

THIS MAKE ME A GROUPIE.

IS THAT WHAT GROUPIE MEANS IS YOU ARE GROUPED TOGETHER IN SMALL SPACES.

>> IT'S JUST A TERM FOR PEOPLE THAT WANT TO HAVE SEX WITH YOU BECAUSE THEY LIKE

YOUR MUSIC.

>> Stephen: DOES THAT HAPPEN?

>> YEAH, ALL THE TIME.

>> Stephen: IS THAT GOOD, IS THAT AVOID-- ANNOYING HAVING PEOPLE WANT TO HAVE SEX WITH

YOU BECAUSE OF YOUR MUSIC.

>> WELL-- .

>> Stephen: AND ARE THERE ANY OTHER REASONS TO MAKE MUSIC THAN THAT.

BECAUSE I IMAGINE A LOT OF GUYS GET INTO MUSIC FOR THAT REASON.

>> WELL, I DIDN'T, YOU KNOW,

I LIKE MUSIC IN AND OF ITSELF AND I LIKE SEX IN AND OF ITSELF.

SO I DIDN'T-- .

>> Stephen: YOU HAVE TO CHOOSE AM YOU HAVE TO GIVE ONE UP, YOU HAVE TO GIVE UP

SEX OR MUSIC, GO.

>> MUSIC.

>> Stephen: REALLY?

>> YEAH YOU HAVE A SIX HOUR SONG.

>> WE DO.

>> Stephen: WHO IS THAT FOR.

>> WELL.

>> Stephen: OTHER THAN ME BECAUSE I USE IT TO MAKE LOVE, OBVIOUSLY I HAVE TO

PUT THAT ON REPEAT.

>> I-- WOW, THAT'S A LOT OF INFORMATION.

>> Stephen: HOLD ON ONE SECOND.

ADJUST PITCH A LITTLE BIT.

GOING ACROSS-- WE HAVE A FULL BURN COMING UP HERE IN ABOUT FIVE MINUTES.

NOW YOU WORKED IN A LONG JOHN SILVERS, DID YOU NOT.

>> YEAH, I WORKED THERE.

>> Stephen: HOW LONG.

>> WELL, I MEAN I STARTED WORKING THERE WHEN I WAS 16,

IN 1977.

>> Stephen: THOSE ARE THE GOLDEN YEARS FOR LONG JOHN SILVER.

>> FUNNY YOU SAY IT.

THEY REALLY WERE.

PEOPLE REALLY LIKE TO EAT FRIED FISH A LOT MORE BACK THEN THAN THEY DO NOW.

THE EVILS OF FRIED FOOD HAS RUINED IT, I SUPPOSE.

BUT I DID.

AND I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT.

I HAVE TO SAY-- .

>> Stephen: YOU LOVED WORKING AT LONG JOHN SILVER.

>> I DID.

>> Stephen: WHAT DID YOU DO THERE.

>> I WAS JUST A COOK, A FRY COOK.

>> Stephen: SO YOU DIDN'T HAVE SORT OF THE PERSONALITY REQUIRED TO WORK THE COUNTER.

>> WELL, NO, I WOULD.

THERE WOULD BE DAYS.

IT DIDN'T TAKE VERY LONG TO REALLY BECOME A MASTER OF ALL THE SKILLS AT THE RESTAURANT.

>> Stephen: HOW MANY YEARS ARE WE TALKING.

>> WELL, I THINK FROM 1977 TO ABOUT 1990 SO A LONG TIME.

>> Stephen: 13 YEARS.

>> A LONG TIME.

>> Stephen: AT ANY POINT DID,

WHILE YOU WERE, SAY LIKE 11 YEARS IN DID YOU EVER THINK ABOUT JUST THROWING YOURSELF

HEAD FIRST INTO THE FRIER.

>> NO, NO, I MEAN I ALWAYS,

EVEN FROM THE BEGINNING, I MEAN, I WAS LUCKY, I MEAN IT'S NOT A VERY HARD JOB SO

YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING-- .

>> Stephen: OH, I DON'T KNOW.

>> FOR ME IT WAS FUN AND EASY BUT-- .

>> Stephen: DID YOU EVER HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY AT THE FRIER AND SAY YEAH, I

[BLEEP] ROCKED THAT SIX PIECE.

>> YEAH, I WORKED THERE FOR SO LONG AND I WOULD WORK DOUBLE SHIFTS EVEN WHEN I

WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL, I WOULD WORK ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT THAT IS A LONG TIME.

>> Stephen: RUMOR IS THAT WHEN YOU STARTED OUT FOR YOUR FIRST EQUIPMENT YOU

STOLE IT FROM A CHURCH S THAT TRUE.

>> WE DIDN'T STEAL IT OURSELVES.

>> Stephen: DID SOMEBODY STEEL IT.

>> I BELIEVE IT HAD ALREADY BEEN STOLEN.

>> Stephen: HOW DO YOU THINK GOD WILL FEEL ABOUT THAT ANSWER WHEN ARE YOU AT THE

PEARLY GATES.

>> I THINK HE HAS ALREADY FORGIVEN ME.

>> Stephen: REALLY.

>> HE TOLD ME.

>> Stephen: ARE YOU A RELIGIOUS GUY, SPIRITUAL.

>> NO, NO.

>> Stephen: BUT YOU GIVE A DAMN.

COME AND GET ME, COME AND GET ME GOD.

I AM WAYNE COYNE.

>> WELL, I DIDN'T-- .

>> Stephen: WOULD YOU LIKE TO TAKE THIS MOMENT TO APOLOGISE TO GOD.

>> NO I STILL FELT LIKE WE DID THE RIGHT THING AT THE TIME.

>> Stephen: INJURE LATEST MUSICAL EFFORT RIGHT NOW IS CALLED FLAMING FLIPS AND HEADY FWENZE.

ARE THESE REALLY YOUR FRENZ OR ARE THEY MORE LIKE PROFESSIONAL COLLEAGUES.

>> KNOCK, I THINK TERBA HAS REALLY BECOME ONE OF MY GREAT DEAR, DEAR FRIENDS.

>> Stephen: YOU WORKED WITH YOKO ONO ON THIS ALBUM.

>> NOT SPECIFICALLY IN THE ROOM WITH HER.

A LOT OF THESE THINGS WE WOULD WORK REMOTELY DOING E-MAILS.

YOKO WAS IN LONDON.

>> Stephen: ARE YOU LUCKY TO WORK WITH HER.

>> ABSOLUTELY.

>> Stephen: NOT SO LUCKY TO STILL BE TOGETHER WITH A BAND BECAUSE SHE WILL BREAK

UP A BAND LIKE THAT.

>> NO, NO, SEE-- .

>> Stephen: SHE WILL BREAK UP ANY GROUP OF PEOPLE.

SHE WORKED AT THE DAILY SHOW RECENTLY THAT IS WHY COREL AND I LEFT.

ARE YOU EVER AFRAID THAT SUCCESS WILL GO TO YOUR HEAD.

>> YEAH, YEAH.

I MEAN I HOPE IT DOES AND GIVES ME CONFIDENCE AND MAKES PEOPLE LIKE MY MUSIC

EVEN IF IT IS NOT WORTH LIKING.

>> Stephen: HOW DO YOU SHAKE IT UP AFTER 30 YEARS?

>> WELL, I THINK I'M LUCKY,

I THINK WE GET BORED ESPECIALLY WITH OUR OWN CREATIONS AND OUR OWN MUSIC.

WE GET BORED WITH THAT.

>> Stephen: HOW DO YOU GET BORED WITH A SIX HOUR SONG.

IT DOESN'T SEEM POSSIBLE.

>> THAT WOULD BE THE DILEMMA T WOULD BE BORG.

I THINK IS THAT WE ARE LUCKY THAT SOMETHING HAPPENS AND WE ARE INTERESTED AND WE

LISTEN AND I DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER.

I THINK WE'RE JUST REALLY LUCKY.

I THINK THAT IS WHAT IT IS.

>> Stephen: WE'RE LUCKY TO HAVE YOU HERE TONIGHT.

ARE YOU READY TO ROCK THE INTREPID.

>> WE'RE COMPLETELY READY.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

>> Stephen: LET'S LIGHT THIS CANDLE, FELLOWS.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK WITH THE FLAMING LIPS