Viggo Mortensen

September 17, 2014 - Viggo Mortensen 09/17/2014 Views: 29,659

Viggo Mortensen chats about his wide variety of creative pursuits, shares a clip from "The Two Faces of January" and speaks in an Elvish accent (5:56)

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> WELCOME BACK, MY GUEST

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> WELCOME BACK, MY GUEST

TONIGHT IS BEST KNOWN FROM THELORD OF THE RINGS MOVIES, OUR

INTERVIEW WILL BE ADAPTED BYPETER JACKSON INTO THREE

FOUR HOUR FILMS.

PLEASE WELL VIGGOMORTENSEN.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> Stephen: WHOOO!

HEY, VIGGO, GOOD TO SEE YOUAGAIN, SO NICE TO HAVE YOU

BACK.

THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE.

YOU'VE BEEN ON THE SHOWBEFORE BUT I HAVE NEVER HAD

YOU AS A GUEST.

IT IS A LONG TIME GOAL OFMINE.

>> YOUR FINAL SEASON.

GOOD LUCK WITH THE NEXTPLACE YOU'RE GOING TO.

>> Stephen: TO HELL IN THEEND, MY FRIEND.

>> I'M SURE WILL YOU DOFINE.

>> Stephen: WHEREVER I GO, IDON'T KNOW, I DON'T HAVE ANY

PLANS RIGHT NOW.

VIGGO, YOU KNOW, YOU'RE AMOVIE STAR SO IT MEANS I

DON'T TRUST YOU AND I BLAMEYOU FOR SOCIETY'S ILLS.

>> FAIR ENOUGH.

>> Stephen: BUT YOU'RE NOTJUST A MOVIE STAR, YOU'RE

ALSO A MUSICIAN, APHOTOGRAPHER, A PAINTER, A

POET.

YOU HAVE APPEARED IN OVER 40FILMS INCLUDING HISTORY OF

VIOLENCE, LORD OF THE RINGSTRILOGY.

YOUR NEW MOVIE, YOUR NEWMOVIE IS CALLED "THE TWO

FACES OF JANUARY" INTHEATRES SEPTEMBER 26th.

JUST GIVE ME A LITTLE IDEAHERE.

WHAT ARE THE ODDS THAT THISINTERVIEW ENDS IN A NAKED

KNIFE FIGHT?

BECAUSE I GOT THE KNIVES IFYOU'VE GOT THE NAKED.

I'M READY TO GO.

>> WELL, THIS MOVIE DOESHARKEN BACK TO A BYGONE ERA

WHEN MEN HAD TO DRINK A LOTOF ALCOHOL BEFORE THEY WOULD

GET NAKED IN FRONT OF ONEANOTHER.

SO I THINK AFTER A FEWDRINKS WE COULD SHOW EACH

OTHER OUR KNIVES, I THINK.

ALL RIGHT, NOW YOU PLAY ACONMAN.

>> I DO.

>> Stephen: IS HE THE HEROOR THE VILLIAN BECAUSE

CONMAN DOESN'T SOUND GOOD?

>> HE'S A KIND OF BAD GUYTHAT YOU WANT TO GET AWAY

WITH EVERYTHING.

SOMEHOW.

AT LEAST THAT'S HOW I SAWIT.

>> Stephen: WE HAVE A CLIP.

LET'S SHOW THE GOOD GUY BADGUY.

>> I'D LIKE TO DANCE

>> MAY I FINISH MY SCOTCHFIRST.

>> YEAH?

>> ♪KNOCK YOURSELF OUT

>> ♪KNOCK YOURSELF OUT

>> ♪KNOCK YOURSELF OUT

>> ♪KNOCK YOURSELF OUT

>> Stephen: I'M GOING TOGUESS THAT DOESN'T END WELL.

>> NO RIGHT THERE YOU COULDSEE I WAS THINKING ABOUT

GETTING NAKED.

I'M GETTING THERE, I'MGETTING THERE.

OR AT LEAST IMAGINING A KNIFEFIGHT.

>> YES.

>> Stephen: AFTER ACTING FORSO MANY YEARS, DO YOU KNOW

WHO YOU ARE ANY MORE?

BECAUSE ACTORS ARE LIARS,BASICALLY.

YOU LIE ABOUT WHO YOU ARE TOAN AUDIENCE.

IS THERE ANYTHING LEFT OFVIGGO?

>> NOT MUCH, NO.

>> Stephen: YOU DO, YOU HAVETO REINVENT YOURSELF ALL THE

TIME.

>> YEAH, I ACCEPT IT.

I LIKE IT, I REVEL IN IT.

>> Stephen: OF SUBSUMING WHOARE YOU TO A CHARACTER.

>> LYING, CHEATING, YEAH,ALL THAT.

SO PLAYING A CONMAN WAS KINDOF LIKE TYPE CASTING, REALLY.

>> Stephen: THE OTHER THINGSTHAT YOU DO THE POETRY, THE

MUSIC, THE ART, THEPHOTOGRAPHY, WHY DO THAT?

THAT SOUNDS LIKE MUCH MOREWORK THAN ACTING IS BECAUSE

THAT INVOLVES ACTUALLYHAVING TO PRODUCE A PHYSICAL

THING THAT YOU GIVE TOSOMEONE WHEREAS ACTING YOU

CAN GO IN THERE, YOU REFLECTLIGHT AND YOU'RE HALFWAY

THERE.

WHY WOULD YOU-- WHAT IS IT,WHAT IS IT ABOUT THOSE OTHER

THINGS THAT ATTRACT YOU WHENYOU HAVE ALREADY GOT THE

STARDOM?

>> I'M INSECURE.

>> Stephen: ARE YOU REALLY?

>> A LOT OF ACTORS ARE.

>> NO, I'M RESTLESS.

I LIKE TO BE BUSY.

I ALWAYS FEEL THAT LIFE ISSHORT AND I JUST WANT TO

LEARN AS MUCH AS I CAN.

>> Stephen: REALLY?

WOW.

>> AND I LIKE BOOKS, I LIKETO READ BOOKS, I LIKE

TO-- DO YOU, CAN YOU?

I CAN, I COULD, I COULD, IJUST DON'T LIKE TO SHOW OFF

BY READING.

NO,-- I UNDERSTAND THAT YOUVERY GOOD WITH ACCENTS.

YOU CAN DO A LOT OFDIFFERENT ACCENTS.

>> I DON'T KNOW.

WITH SOME STUDY, SURE.

>> Stephen: WELL, I'VE GOTTWO HATS HERE.

IF YOU WOULD INDULGE ME FORA MOMENT.

ONE OF THEM IS A LIST OFACCENTS, ANOTHER IS

SOMETHING I WOULD WANT TOYOU SAY IN THAT ACCENT.

>> WILL WE TAKE TURNS.

>> Stephen: WOULD YOU LIKETO TAKE TURNS?

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> YEAH.

>> Stephen: OKAY, GREAT.

YOU FIRST, PICK YOUR ACCENT,WHAT ACCENT YOU HAVE TO SAY

IT IN.

OKAY.

ALL RIGHT.

>> ARE THEY ALL THE SAMECARD?

>> NO, NO IN IS WHAT I WANTTO YOU SAY, THIS IS

SOMETHING YOU HAVE TO SAYANY ONE OF THEM, OKAY.

>> I SWEAR IT WAS THE DOG.

>> WAS THAT ARWEN.

>> THAT WAS ARWEN YOUCOULD-- ARWAN COUSIN.

>> I WILL GO NEXT.

HERE WE GO.

OKAY.

SPANISH.

THESE TWO DON'T GO WELLTOGETHER FOR ME.

>> I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TOTHE FLAG OF THE UNITED

STATES OF AMERICA.

VIGGO MORTENSEN, THE TWOFACES OF JANUARY, OPENS NEXT

FRIDAY, WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.