Exclusive - Gloria Steinem Extended Interview

November 3, 2015 - Gloria Steinem 11/03/2015 Views: 8,645

"My Life on the Road" author Gloria Steinem examines the current state of feminism and weighs in on the possibility of having a woman in the White House. (10:28)

Watch Full Episode

MY GUEST TONIGHT IS AN ICONICFEMINIST, ACTIVIST AND WRITER.

HER NEW BOOK IS CALLED "MY LIFEON THE ROAD."

PLEASE WELCOME GLORIA STEINEM.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Trevor: OH!

WELCOME!

THAT IS PROBABLY ONE TO HAVE THEMOST RUPTURIST APPLAUSES ANY

GUEST HAS GOTTEN ON THIS SHOW.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> THAT'S IT, I'M NEVER LEAVING.

>> Trevor: YOU'RE LEAVING NOW?

>> NO, NO, I'M NEVER LEAVING.

I'M STAYING RIGHT HERE.

>> Trevor: I HOPE SO.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FORCOMING.

ONE THING I LIKED AT READINGYOUR BOOK IS TALKING ABOUT

TRAVELING.

I COULD RELATE TO YOU, BEING ACITIZEN OF THE WORLD, LEARNING

FROM EVERY SINGLE PLACE YOU GOTO.

WHAT WOULD YOU SAY THE BIGGESTADVANTAGE TO TRAVELING WAS FOR

YOU?

>> WELL, IT CONTINUES TO BE -- IMEAN, IN A DEEP SENSE, IT'S LIKE

MEDITATION.

IT MAKES YOU LIVE IN THEPRESENT.

AND IN AN EXTERNAL, ALL-THE-TIMESENSE, IT MAKES YOU LEARN, YOU

KNOW, BECAUSE IF YOU'RELISTENING AND SEEING ALL THIS

DIVERSITY AND NOBODY IS WHO YOUTHINK THEY ARE, THEY TURN OUT TO

BE DIFFERENT, AND IF YOU TRAVELLONG ENOUGH, IT'S LIKE A NOVEL.

YOU GET THE END OF THE NOVELHERE THAT YOU HAD 15 YEARS AGO

YOU HEARD THE BEGINNING OF.

IT'S FANTASTIC.

>> Trevor: IT REALLY IS.

YOU HAVE BEEN WRITING THIS BOOKFOR, I BELIEVE, 20 YEARS IS

THIS.

>> WELL, YES, BECAUSE I WAS ONTHE ROAD.

>> Trevor: OF COURSE, YOU'REGOING TO WRITE A BOOK ABOUT

BEING ON THE ROAD WHEN YOU'RE ONTHE ROAD.

>> I WOULD WRITE FOR A MONTH INTHE SUMMER AND KIND OF FORGET

ABOUT IT, SO IT ACTUALLY GOTMUCH TOO LONG.

BUT I REALLY WANTED TO DO ITBECAUSE NOT ONLY IS IT WHAT I DO

THE MOST AND HAD WRITTEN ABOUTTHE LEAST, BUT ALSO IS SOMETHING

I REALLY WANT TO GIFT TO OTHERPEOPLE.

I MEAN, IT JUST IS SUCH ASPONTANEITY AND A LEARNING--

ESPECIALLY WOMEN, I THINK,BECAUSE WOMEN ARE NOT SUPPOSED

TO GO OUT ON THE ROAD.

THE ROAD HAS BEEN A MALEPROVINCE AND A MALE LITERARY

PROVINCE, TOO.

>> Trevor: YES.

>> SO I TRY TO EXPLAIN HERE IT'SACTUALLY LESS SAFE AT HOME.

>> Trevor: NOW, YOUR BOOK ISENTITLED --

>> IT'S TRUE, BUT IT'S A LITTLEDARK HUMOR HERE, ANYWAY.

>> Trevor: WE CAN DO DARKHUMOR HERE.

WE CAN DO DARK HUMOR.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

THE BOOK IS TITLED "MY LIFEON THE ROAD."

WHAT FASCINATED ME IS THE FACTYOU DON'T HAVE A DRIVERS

LICENSE.

>> NO.

I KNOW I'M SO USED TO TRAVELINGTHE WAY I DO THAT I WAS QUITE --

YOU KNOW, I WAS WELL INTO THEBOOK BEFORE I THOUGHT, OH, MAYBE

I SHOULD EXPLAIN I DON'T DRIVE,YOU KNOW.

>> Trevor: BEFORE UBER, YOUWERE IN TAXIES QUITE A BIT.

>> YEAH, WELL OR IN SUBWAYS,TRAINS, BUSES.

THE THING IS, AND IF YOU DON'TDRIVE, YOUR ADVENTURE BEGINS THE

MOMENT YOU LEAVE YOUR DOOR, ANDYOU ENTER INTO --

>> Trevor: THAT SOUNDS VERYGOOD OR VERY BAD.

THAT'S WHAT THAT SOUNDS LIKE.

>> BUT IF YOU DRIVE YOU GET INTOA TIN CAN ALL BY YOURSELF.

WHY?

YOU'RE NOT TALKING TO ANYBODY,YOU'RE NOT SEEING ANYBODY.

>> Trevor: UNLESS YOU GET INTOTHE CAR WITH SOMEBODY.

YOU KNOW YOU CAN HAVE PASSENGERSIN YOUR CAR...

(LAUGHTER)HONESTLY, ONE OF MY FAVORITE

CHAPTERS IN THE BOOK IS A WHOLECHAPTER BASICALLY DEDICATED TO

TAXI DRIVERS.

>> RIGHT.

>> Trevor: WHICH I APPRECIATEDBECAUSE I USED TO BE A TAXI

DRIVER.

>> I REST MY CASE.

ARE TAXI DRIVERS NOTINTERESTING?

>> Trevor: HOA, THANK YOU.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

BUT IT WAS FASCINATINGBECAUSEYOU TALK TO TAXI DRIVERS.

MOST PEOPLE FAKE PHONE CALLS INA TAXI.

YOU HAD CONVERSATIONS.

ONE OF MY FAVORITES WAS THESTORY OF THE TAXI DRIVER THAT

ALMOST HARASSED YOU, I GUESS.

THAT WAS A FASCINATING STORY.

>> YEAH, WELL, HE STARTED OUTASKING ABOUT HELP WITH A

BIRTHDAY PRESENT FOR HIS WIFE.

THEN IT TURNED OUT IT WAS FANCYLINGERIE, AND IN SUSPICIOUSLY

GRAPHIC DETAIL AND SUDDENLY IKNEW, WHOOPS!

THIS IS NOT REALLY -- THERE ISNO WIFE HERE, THERE IS NO --

RIGHT, RIGHT...

>> Trevor: AND THE GUY WASTALKING ABOUT YOU?

>> ASKING ADVICE.

>> Trevor: OH, ASKING ADVICEABOUT LINGERIE FROM YOU?

>> RIGHT.

>> Trevor: WHICH IS REALLYCREEPY.

>> IT WAS EXTREMELY CREEPY.

ANYWAY, YEARS AND YEARS ANDYEARS PASSED AND I GOT IN A TAXI

WITH A WOMAN DRIVER.

>> Trevor: IN THE SAME CITY?

>> RIGHT.

AND, YOU KNOW, VERY WELL MADEUPAND COIFED AND MUCH FANCIER THAN

MOST WOMEN TAXI DRIVERS OF WHICHTHERE ARE ONLY A FEW, ANYWAY.

AND, SO, SHE SAID TO ME, DO YOUREMEMBER, LIKE, 20 YEARS AGO

WHEN YOU GOT INTO A TAXI ANDTHIS GUY WAS ASKING ABOUT

UNDERWEAR AND LINGERIE?

I SAID, YEAH.

I NEVER FORGOT.

ANYWAY, TURNED OUT TO BE THESAME PERSON.

>> Trevor: SO THE TAXI DRIVERTHAT YOU THOUGHT WAS HARASSING

YOU WITH LINGERIE QUESTIONS WASREALLY GETTING ADVICE FOR

WHEN -->> I DON'T KNOW WHAT WAS GOING

ON IN HIS HEAD AT THE TIME, BUT,I MEAN, YOU KNOW, YOU CAN'T MAKE

THIS STUFF UP, I JUST WANT TOSAY.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Trevor: IT REALLY ISBEAUTIFUL.

LET'S TALK ABOUT THE PROGRESS ORTHE LACK THEREOF THAT HAS BEEN

MADE I GUESS IN THE WORLD OFWOMEN'S RIGHTS.

WHEN I TALKED ABOUT YOU IN THEOFFICE, PEOPLE WERE ARGUING.

THE ARGUMENT WASN'T WAS GLORIASTEINEM AN ICON, THE QUESTION

WAS IS SHE "THE FEMINIST" WHICHMANY OF YOU REGARD YOU AS.

>> NO, BUT THAT IS SO WRONG, BYTHE VERY NATURE OF THE MOVEMENT,

IT HAS TO BE LOTS AND LOTS ANDLOTS OF PEOPLE.

I FEEL THE SAME CRAZED GRATITUDETO THE MOVEMENT THAT ANYBODY

ELSE FEELS BECAUSE, YOU KNOW, ITSAVED OUR LIVES, IT CONTINUES TO

MAKE LIVES BETTER.

I'M NOT -- I'M ONE OF THE GIRLS,SO TO SPEAK.

>> Trevor: THAT'S WHAT PEOPLEAT THE TOP ALWAYS SAY.

>> NO, BUT IT --

>> Trevor: I'M JUST ONE OF YOU,MY LOYAL SUBJECTS.

>> NO, THIS IS SERIOUS.

IT IS SO WRONG TO TREAT AMOVEMENT AS IF IT IS ONLY A FEW

PEOPLE.

IT'S A WAY OF DOING IN THEMOVEMENT BECAUSE THEN IF YOU GET

RID OF THOSE FEW PEOPLE, YOUTHINK IT'S GONE, WHEN, IN FACT,

YOU KNOW, IT'S -- IT GROWS FROMTHE BOTTOM LIKE A TREE.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Trevor: THEN THE QUESTIONIS DO YOU THINK THE MOVEMENT IS

STILL IN FULL EFFECT?

IF YOU LOOK AT SOME OF THEREGRESSION NOW, I MEAN, PLANNED

PARENTHOOD, THE DEFUNDING THAT'SGOING ON, SEEMS LIKE YOU LIVED

IN A TIME WHEN YOU WERE FIGHTINGFOR A WOMAN'S RIGHT TO CHOOSE.

AND NOW YOU'RE LOOKING AT THATGOING BACKWARDS AND YOU LOOK AT

A WOMAN NOT EARNING THE SAMEAMOUNT OF MONEY AS A MAN IN THE

SAME POSITION, DO YOU FEEL THEMOVEMENT STILL EXISTS TODAY?

>> ABSOLUTELY.

BECAUSE WE HAD A HUGE LEAPFORWARD, BECAUSE ALL OF THE

ISSUES BROUGHT UP BY THE WOMEN'SMOVEMENT IN YOUR COUNTRY, MY

COUNTRY, ALL OVER THE WORLD ARENOW MAJORITY ISSUES, WE NOW HAVE

A HUGE BACKLASH AGAINST THAT.

YOU DON'T HAVE A BACKLASH UNLESSYOU HAVE A FRONT-LASH, SO TO

SPEAK.

SO IT'S A GREAT VICTORY THEREARE MAJORITY ISSUES.

BUT BECAUSE IT IS DEEPLYINGRAINED IN A LOT OF PEOPLE TO

CONTROL WOMEN IN ORDER TOCONTROL REPRODUCTION AND IN

ORDER TO PERPETUATE RACE ORCLASS OR CASTE IN INDIA -- I

MEAN, IT'S DEEP, DEEP.

>> Trevor: YEAH.

>> SO WE ARE DOING NOTHING LESSTHAN SEIZING CONTROL OF THE

MEANS OF REPRODUCTION, WHICH ISUS, RIGHT?

SO THIS IS DEEP!

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Trevor: ONE FINAL QUESTIONBEFORE I HAVE TO LET YOU GO...

HILLARY CLINTON, DO YOU THINKWE'RE READY?

IN YOUR BOOK, YOU SAID SOMETHINGINTERESTING.

YOU SAID, IN 2008, YOU WANTEDHILLARY TO WIN BUT YOU DIDN'T

BELIEVE AMERICA WAS READY.

DO YOU THINK AMERICA IS READYNOW?

>> NO, I MEAN, I ACTUALLY HADSUPPORTED OBAMA.

WE HAD TWO GREAT CANDIDATESTHERE, BUT I DID NOT THINK THAT

THE COUNTRY WAS READY YET FOR AWOMAN OF ANY DESCRIPTION, IF SHE

REALLY REPRESENTED THE MAJORITYOF WOMEN, BECAUSE WE'RE RAISED

BY WOMEN AS CHILDREN AND DEEPLYASSOCIATE FEMALE AUTHORITY WITH

CHILDHOOD EMOTIONALITY ANDNURTURING AND THEN SEE MEN IN

THE OUTSIDE WORLD AND THAT'SMORE RATIONALE AND APPROPRIATE.

AND I THINK IT'S WHY SO MANY OFTHE BIG GROWN-UP NEWS REPORTERS,

IF YOU THINK ABOUT WHATWAS GOING ON IN 2008, WERE

SAYING THINGS ABOUT HILLARY LIKEI CROSS MY LEGS WHENEVER I SEE

HER, SHE REMINDS ME OF MY FIRSTWIFE OUTSIDE ALIMONY -- EXCUSE

ME?

BUT THEY FELT REGRESSED TOCHILDHOOD BECAUSE THE LAST TIME

THEY SAW A POWERFUL WOMAN THEYWERE, LIKE, SIX!

(LAUGHTER)

>> Trevor: I LIKE THAT, FROM SIXONWARD, THEY DON'T SEE A

POWERFUL WOMAN.

DO YOU THINK AMERICA IS NOWREADY?

>> I THINK WE'RE ON THE CUSP OFCHANGE ENOUGH SO THAT IT'S

POSSIBLE, AND HILLARY HERSELF ASSECRETARY OF STATE HAS

CONTRIBUTED TO OUR FAMILIARITYWITH WOMEN IN THAT POSITION, BUT

SO HAVE GREAT WOMEN LIKE MAXINEMAXINE WATERS, WHO'S BEEN IN

CONGRESS FOR A REALLY LONG TIME.

BARBARA MIKULSKI, WHO'S IN THESENATE--

>> Trevor: AND CARLY FIORINA.

YOU'RE A BIG FAN OF HERS, IBELIEVE.

>> NO...

(LAUGHTER)

(APPLAUSE)

I'M TALKING ABOUT WOMEN WHOGOT ELECTED BECAUSE THEY

REPRESENTED A POPULARMAJORITY OPINION.

SHE GOT PROMOTED BY GOD KNOWSWHO.

(APPLAUSE)

>> Trevor: WOW.

WE'RE GOING TO LEAVE IT THERE.

"MY LIFE ON THE ROAD" IS INSTORES RIGHT NOW.

YOU NEED TO GET THIS BOOK.

GLORIA STEINEM, EVERYBODY.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)