John Harwood

October 22, 2015 - John Harwood 10/22/2015 Views: 10,052

John Harwood, host of CNBC's "Speakeasy," talks about his visits to South Africa and describes how he's preparing to moderate the Republican presidential debate. (7:28)

Watch Full Episode

PLEASE WELCOME JOHN HARWOOD.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

>> TREVOR, I FIRST WANT TOTELL YOU THAT I WAS ACTUALLY IN

YOUR HOME TOWN BEFORE YOU WERE.

>> Trevor: YOU WERE IN MY HOMETOWN BEFORE I WAS?

>> YES.

BUT I HAD PERMISSION.

THE WESTRAND ADMINISTRATIONBOARD SAID I COULD GO.

THAT'S MY PASS.

>> Trevor: OH, WOW.

THIS IS INSANE.

THIS IS A PERMIT FROM SOUTHAFRICA'S GOOD OLD DAYS.

( LAUGHTER )

>> AND I-- AND I HAD SUCH A GOODTIME, THAT I BROUGHT BACK THIS.

>> Trevor: OH, LOOK AT THAT.

THAT'S COOL.

"I LOVE SOWETO."

THAT'S VERY NICE.

>> BOTH OF THESE THINGS HAVEBEEN ON MY BULLETIN BOARD SINCE

I CAME BACK.

I WENT SEVERAL TIMES DURING THE1980s DURING THE UNREST AS A

REMINDER OF A PLACE AND A TIMEWHERE THE POLITICS ARE FOR

REALLY HIGH STAKES.

LIKE OUR POLITICS, THEY'RESIGNIFICANT, THEY'RE IMPORTANT,

BUT THERE WAS LIFE-OR-DEATHSTUFF I WAS COVERING THERE.

AS A MATTER OF FACT, I-- IINTERVIEWED THE TREASURY

SECRETARY FROM TIME TO TIME.

I INTERVIEWED THE FINANCEMINISTER OF SOUTH AFRICA, EXCEPT

AT THAT TIME TREVOR MANUEL WASUNDER COVER BECAUSE HE WAS A

BANNED PERSON.

HE WAS NOT PERMITTED TO BE INPUBLIC.

>> Trevor: EVERYONE WAS ABANNED PERSON BACK THEN.

IT'S PRETTY MUCH HOW THE COUNTRYWORKED.

>> EXACTLY.

>> Trevor: IT WAS LIKE ACOUNTRY OF BAD BOYS.

YOU JUST KEPT THIS AND ONE DAY IWILL MEET A SOUTH AFRICAN IN

AMERICA.

( LAUGHTER )( APPLAUSE )

AND I WILL HAND THEM TO HIM.

>> I ALSO HAVE A RUBBER BULLETIN MY DESK.

>> Trevor: THAT'S NICE.

I HAVE A RUBBER BULLET IN MYCHEST, ACTUALLY.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, JOHN.

WELCOME, WELCOME TO THE SHOW.

I'M TRULY EXCITED.

I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO MEETSOMEONE WHO'S GOING TO MODERATE

A DEBATE.

THIS IS SOMETHING I'VE ALWAYSWANTED TO DO, AND YOU KNOW A LOT

OF THESE CANDIDATES.

YOU'VE BEEN-- YOU'VE BEENHOSTING THE "SPEAKEASY" SHOW,

RIGHT?

>> I HAVE BEEN DOING INTERVIEWS.

IT'S ACTUALLY A GREAT WAY OFDEBATE PREP BECAUSE ALL YEAR

LONG, FOR NINE MONTHS, I'VE BEENINTERVIEWING CANDIDATES.

I'VE GOT AN UNBELIEVABLYTALENTED YOUNG TEAM OF

PRODUCERS.

THEY'RE IN THE AUDIENCE HERE.

MARY, SOPHIE, BRANDON, KEENE,ERICA.

YOU HAVE EXTENDED CONVERSATIONS.

YOU CAN COVER PERSONAL ISSUES.

YOU CAN COVER POLICY.

WE MAKE VARIOUS CLIPS THATY WEPUT ONLIN, PUT ON TV.

IT'S BEEN FANTASTIC EXPERIENCE.

>> Trevor: IT REALLY HAS BEENFANTASTIC.

I'VE SEEN SOME OF THE SHOWS, ANDHONESTLY THE BEN CARSON ONE WAS

PROBABLY MY FAVORITE.

WAS HE AS CHILL IN PERSON.

>> HE IS VERY CHILL.

HE'S A VERY NICE MAN.

WE INTERVIEWED HIM IN DETROIT,AND THE MOST REMARKABLE MOMENT--

PROBABLY THE SINGLE MOSTREMARKABLE MOMENT FOR ME IN ALL

OF THE INTERVIEWS-- WAS WHEN IASKED HIM ABOUT HIS OPPOSITION

TO GAY MARRIAGE AND ASKED HIMHOW HE JUSTIFIED THAT WHEN HE

WAS TRYING TO LEAD A COUNTRYWHERE SO MANY PEOPLE ARE IN

FAVOR OF IT.

AND I THINK WE'VE GOT THE CLIP.

>> Trevor: WE'VE ACTUALLY GOTA CLIP THAT YOU HAVE TO WATCH.

SO YOU ASKED HIM ABOUT GAYMARRIAGE AND WHY HE WAS OPPOSED

TO IT.

AND THIS IS WHAT BEN CARSONSAID.

>> WHAT DO YOU SAY TO THE NEXTGROUP?

>> WHAT IS THE NEXT GROUP.

>> DO YOU SAY, "WELL, WE CHANGEDIT TO THIS GROUP, BUT THAT'S IT.

WE'RE NOT CHANGING IT FORANYBODY ELSE."

EVERYBODY KNOWS THERE ARE MOREGROUPS.

>> HONEST TO GOD, I DON'T KNOWWHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

>> Trevor: OKAY, OKAY, LET'S--

LET'S SWITCH GEARS.

LET'S TALK ABOUT THE DEBATECOMING UP.

HOW DO YOU DECIDE WHO'S GOING TOMODERATE THE DEBATE?

IS THAT LIKE AN EXCITING THINGIN THE OFFICE OR IS IT LIKE THE

REPUBLICAN DEBATE IS COMING ANDYOU DRAW STRAWS OR IS IT A GIFT?

>> NO, IT'S A GIFT.

WE HAVE THREE MODERATORS, BECKYQUICK, CARL QUINTANILLA, AND ME.

AND WE HAVE EXPERT ANALYSTSHELPING US.

WE HAVE BIG MEETINGS FOR HOURSTO TALK ABOUT OUR QUESTIONS.

IF YOU WANT ON WHAT IT'S LIKE,I WOULD SAY IT'S A

THREE-SYLLABLE WORD THAT BEGINSWITH CLUSTER, AND WE HAVE

MULTIHOUR MEETINGS.

BUT IT'S BEEN GOOD.

THAT PROCESS GETS US TO WHAT WEWANT TO ASK THEM, WHICH IS WHAT

ARE THE WAYS IN WHICH THEY'REGOING TO HELP THE AMERICAN

ECONOMY TO DELIVER HIGHER LIVINGSTANDARDS

>> Trevor: IT IS SPECIFICALLY.

>> IT IS SPECIFICALLY ON THEECONOMY.

THE BIGGEST ISSUE IN OURPOLITICS RIGHT NO-- I'VE BEEN

COVERING POLITICS FOR A LONGTIME-- FOR 40 YEARS NOW THE

AVERAGE AMERICAN FAMILY HAS NOTSEEN THEIR WAGES RISE.

WHY IS THAT?

BOTH PARTIES UNDER DEMOCRATS ANDREPUBLICANS.

PRESIDENT OBAMA SAYS IT'S THECHALLENGE OF OUR TIME.

THE REPUBLICAN CANDIDATES SAYTHE SAME THING.

AND WE'RE GOING TO GET A CHANCEIN THE DEBATE TO REALLY DRAW

THESE CANDIDATES OUT ON WHATEXACTLY THEY'RE GOING TO DO.

>> Trevor: AREN'T YOU A LITTLEBIT INTIMIDATED, YOU'RE GOING TO

BE ASKING THESE PEOPLE ABOUT THEECONOMY.

THERE IS A MAN ON THE STAGE WHOLITERALLY WROTE THE BOOK ON THE

THE ART OF THE DEAL.

>> YEAH.

HE'S TOLD ME ABOUT THAT,ACTUALLY.

>> Trevor: ARE YOU READY FORTRUMP?

YOU KNOW --

( LAUGHTER )

I THINK WE ARE READY FOR TRUMP,IT'S VERY INTERESTING.

I NEVER EXPECTED THAT WHEN THISCAMPAIGN STARTED THAT DONALD

TRUMP WAS GOING TO BE AHEAD INTHE POLLS THIS LONG INTO THE

PROCESS.

AND IN FACT, NOT ONLY DONALDTRUMP, BUT BEN CARSON, THEY'RE

LEADING ALL THE CANDIDATES, NOTJUST BY A LITTLE BIT BUT BY A

LOT.

SO THEY'RE GOING TO BE AT THECENTER OF THE STAGE.

AND THE GUYS WHO HAVE BEENGOVERNORS AND SENATORS FROM BIG

STATES ARE ON THE SIDE.

CARLY FIORINA WILL ALSO BETHERE, THE FORMER HEWLETT

PACKARD C.E.O.

>> Trevor: YOU SPEND MORE TIMEON THEM IF THEY'RE IN THE

MIDDLE?

IS THAT HOW IT WORKS?

>> DO THEY HAVE EQUAL TIME?

WITH THE TIME WHAT, DO YOU DO IFTHEY DON'T ANSWER YOUR

QUESTIONS?

>> WELL, YOU CAN FOLLOW UP.

THERE ARE SOME QUESTIONSPOLITICIANS JUST DON'T WANT TO

ANSWER AND YOU CAN'T MAKE THEMANSWER.

>> Trevor: FOR INSTANCE, ASKME A QUESTION AS IF I WAS TRUMP,

AND I WANT TO SEE WHAT YOU'DREPLY.

ASK ANY QUESTION YOU'D ASKTRUMP.

LET'S PRACTICE.

>> HOW ARE YOU GOING TO MAKE THEMEXICAN GOVERNMENT PAY FOR THAT

WALL YOU'RE GOING TO BUILD.

>> Trevor: I'M JUST GONNA MAKETHEM-- I'M JUST GONNA MAKE THEM

PAY.

>> AND HOW ARE YOU GOING TO SEND11 MILLION PEOPLE OUT OF THE

COUNTRY?

>> Trevor: I'M GONNA DO IT.

( LAUGHTER )( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

YOU SEE, I'VE GIVEN YOUSOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT, JOHN

HARWOOD.

>> YOU KNOW, WE HAD ANINCREDIBLE MOMENT IN OUR DEBATE

IN 2011.

YOU REMEMBER RICK PERRY.

>> Trevor: IN FACT, WEACTUALLY HAVE A CLIP OF THAT.

BEFORE WE LET YOU GO, THIS ISTHE MOMENT THAT JOHN HARWOOD IS

HOPING TO RECREATE, I HOPE, THISTIME.

>> IT'S THREE AGENCIES OFGOVERNMENT WHEN I GET THERE THAT

ARE GONE.

COMMERCE, EDUCATION AND THEUWHAT'S THE THIRD ONE THERE?

LET'S SEE.

>> YOU CAN'T NAME THE THIRD ONE?

>> LET'S SEE -- I CAN'T.

THE THIRD ONE I CAN'T.

SORRY.

OOPS.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

>> Trevor: OOPS.

>> YOU KNOW HOW IN SOME PRO GOLFTOURNAMENTS IF YOU WIN THE

TOURNAMENT, YOU CAN KEEP PLAYINGTHE REST OF YOUR LIFE NO MATTER

HOW BAD YOU'RE PLAYING.

>> Trevor: YES.

>> I THOUGHT THAT RICK PERRYSHOULD HAVE A LIFETIME PASS INTO

OUR DEBATES BECAUSE-- BUT HEDROPPED OUT OF THE RACE BEFORE

IT HAPPENED.

>> Trevor: THAT'S SELFISH OFYOU, MY FRIEND.

THAT'S THE SAME REASON I HOPEDONALD TRUMP CARRIES ON, FOR THE

SAKE OF THE SHOW.