Martin O'Malley - The Sexiest Democratic Presidential Nominee

October 19, 2015 - Martin O'Malley 10/19/2015 Views: 15,955

Presidential hopeful Martin O'Malley discusses the gun control measures he implemented as governor of Maryland and describes how he differs from Hillary Clinton. (6:44)

Watch Full Episode

PLEASE WELCOME

GOVERNOR MARTIN O'MALLEY!

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

I FEEL LIKE I SHOULD HAVEADDED TO YOUR CREDENTIALS,

GOVERNOR, PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATEAND SEXIEST CANDIDATE.

>> THANK YOU.

>> Tevor: ACCORDING TOTWITTER,YEAH.

>> YEAH, WELL.

YOU KNOW, WHEN THE AVERAGEAGE OF THE OTHER CONTEND ARES IS

OVER 60 THAT IS NOT A HARD THINGTO ACHIEVE.

>> Trevor:I THINK YOU ARE BEINGHARSH ON YOURSELF, YOU LOOK GOOD

OUT THERE.

>> THANK YOU.

>> Trevor: YOU LOOK LIKEAPRESIDENT.

THAT IS WHAT I THOUGHT EVERYTIME YOU WERE ON THE SCREEN, YOU

WOULD LOOK DOWN THE LENS AND IWOULD LOOK INTO YOUR EYES.

>> WELL, THANK YOU.

>> Trevor: IF ICOULD VOTE, IWOULD VOTE FOR YOU.

>> YOU KNOW, TREVOR, FUNNY YOUSHOULD MENTION THIS.

BECAUSE AS A COMEDIC HOST YOUMUST BE THE ONLY IMMIGRANT IN

AMERICA THAT IS EXCITED ABOUTDONALD TRUMP BECOMING PRESIDENT.

>> Trevor: I AM, FOR SELFISHREASONS ONLY AM BUT THIS IS NOT

ABOUT HIM, THIS IS ABOUT YOU.

AND THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR COMINGTO THE SHOW.

>> THANK YOU, GREAT TO BE WITHYOU.

>> Trevor: LET'S SOMEOF THETHINGS THAT YOU SPOKE ABOUT AT

THE DEBATES.

MARTIN O'MALLEY, RUNNING FORPRESIDENT.

ONE OF THE MOST DEVICIVE ISSUES,SOME STRANGE REASON RIGHT NOW

SEEMS TO BE GUN CONTROL INAMERICA.

HELP ME UNDERSTAND THIS.

WHAT DOES GUN CONTROL EVEN MEAN?

SOME PEOPLE THINK GUN CONTROLMEANS NO GUNS, SOME PEOPLE THINK

IT MEANS BACKGROUND CHECK, WHATDOES GUN CONTROL MEAN?

>> WELL, IN MARYLAND, AFTER THESLAUGHTER OF THE INNOCENT IN

NEWTOWN, CONNECTICUT, WE PULLEDPEOPLE TOGETHER TO PASS

COMPREHENSIVE GUN SAFETYLEGISLATION.

THE COMPONENTS OF IT WEREESSENTIALLY THESE--

WE BANNED THE SALE OF COMBATASSAULT WEAPONS.

WE REQUIRED LICENSES FOR THEPURCHASES OF NEW GUNS WITH

FINGERPRINTS.

AND UNIVERSAL BACKGROUND CHECKS.

AND THAT WAS ESSENTIALLY IT.

AND--

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

SO IF MY UNDERSTANDING ISCORRECT, THEN WHAT YOU ARE

SAYING IS IF YOU WERE TO BEELECTED, THIS IS SOMETHING YOU

WOULD TRY TO IMPLEMENT ON ANATIONAL LEVEL.

>> OH, ABSOLUTELY.

WE ARE THE ONLY COUNTRYDEVELOPED COUNTRY ON THE PLANET

THAT BURIES AS MANY OF OURCITIZENS AS WE DO YEAR IN AND

YEAR OUT FROM GUN VIOLENCE.

AND WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHINGPRACTICAL ABOUT THIS.

I MEAN WE KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO BEDONE.

>> Trevor: WHEN YOU SAYPRACTICAL, CAN IT BE PRACTICAL.

BECAUSE YOU HAD A DEMOCRATICLEGISLATURE IN MARYLAND.

AND SO LOOKING AT THEREPUBLICANS RIGHT NOW IN

CONGRESS, THEY CAN'T EVEN WORKWITH EACH OTHER, IT SEEMS.

HOW DOES MARTIN O'MALLEY COME INAND MAKE PEOPLE WORK WITH HIM.

>> WELL, I BELIEVE THAT EVERYELECTION, TREVOR, IS REALLY

ABOUT SOMETHING MORE THAN JUSTELECTING ONE PERSON TO A JOB.

IT'S ABOUT FORGING A NEWCONSENSUS AND DEEPER

UNDERSTANDING THAT THEN LEES TOBETTER ACTIONS, SO I INTEND TO

TALK ABOUT THIS THROUGHOUT THISCAMPAIGN.

I MEAN THIS IS ONE OF THE CORETHINGS THAT WE NEED TO DO TO

MAKE OUR COUNTRY A SAFER ANDMORE PROSPEROUS PLACE.

AND HOW YOU CAMPAIGN DETERMINESHOW YOU CAN GOVERN.

IN OTHER WORDS, YOU CAN'T EXPECTTO SAY I'VE GOT A MANDATE TO GET

THINGS DONE, IF YOU DON'T HAVETHE GUTS OR THE HUTZPAH TO

ACTUALLY TALK ABOUT IT WHILEYOU'RE CAMPAIGNING.

SO I THINK THERE'S ACTUALLY AGROWING MAJORITY OF AMERICANS

WHO BELIEVE THIS IS CRAZY.

I MEAN THINK ABOUT IT I SAW THISBEN STILLER QUOTE THE OTHER DAY

WHERE HE SAID ONE KNIT WITWITH WITH A FAILED ATTEMPT AT

A SHOE BOMB WITH AN AIRPLANEAND WE'RE ALL TAKING OFF OUR

SHOES AND STANDING IN LINEFOREVER.

AND YET THINK OF ALL OF THE MASSSHOOTING AFTER MASS SHOOTING

AFTER MASS SHOOTING, SURELYWE'RE CAPABLE OF TAKING BETTER

ACTIONS THAN WHAT WE'VE TAKEN.

SO I INTEND TO FORGE A NEWCONSENSUS.

AND I THINK THE YOUNG PEOPLE OFOUR COUNTRY ARE ACTUALLY WITH US

ON THIS.

>> Trevor: THAT IS AMAZING.

(APPLAUSE)

WHO IS BEN STILLER, IS HE ADEMOCRAT?

(LAUGHTER)

>> I HOPE SO.

>> Trevor: WHAT IS INTERESTINGFOR ME WAS WATCHING THE DEBATE

AND THE LITTLE-- I WOULDN'T CALLIT A DISAGREEMENT, REALLY, BUT

IT WAS BETWEEN YOURSELF ANDHILLARY.

NOW YOU ENDORSED HILLARY WAYBACK WHEN SHE WAS RUNNING.

>> I DID, EIGHT YEARS AGO.

>> Trevor: AND NOW YOU SAIDTHINGS HAVE CHANGED.

WHY IS MARTIN O'MALLEY NO LONGERWILLING TO SUPPORT HILLARY.

WHY IS MARTIN O'MALLEY SAYINGYOU NEED TO NOW VOTE FOR ME.

>> WELL, THERE IS A COUPLE OFTHINGS.

ONE, I BELIEVE THAT AS OUR TIMESCHANGE, AS OUR CHALLENGES

CHANGE, I BELIEVE THAT NEWLEADERSHIP IS REQUIRED.

AND I BELIEVE THAT THESE TIMESARE UPON US.

THE OTHER THING THAT HAS CHANGEDIS THAT BETWEEN NOW AND THEN

THERE WAS THE CRASH OF 2008.

WHEN WALL STREET AND THESE MEGABANKS THAT GREW UP AND FORCED

ALL OF THE REST OF US ASTAXPAYERS TO COVER THEIR BAD

BETS AND BAIL THEM OUT, THAT ISSTILL SOMETHING WE HAVEN'T

DELIVERED UPON AS DEMOCRATS.

NAMELY, TO PROTECT THE MAINSTREET ECONOMY FROM EXCESSES ON

WALL STREET.

AND I BELIEVE THAT I HAVE THEINDEPENDENCE TO ACTUALLY GET

THAT DONE.

AND I DO NOT BELIEVE THATHILLARY CLINTON DOES.

THERE WERE MANY THINGS THATSHE CHANGED POSITIONS ON, RIGHT

BEFORE THE DEBATE.

BUT SHE COULD NOT BRINGHERSELF--

>> Trevor: DID YOU SAY RIGHTBEFORE, LIKE WHEN YOU WERE

WALKING INTO THE ROOM OR-- JUSTIN THE TIME LEADING UP TO THE

DEBATE.

>> I MEAN THE TIME LEADING UP TOIT.

WHETHER IT IS THE TRANSPACIFICPARTNERSHIP OR WHETHER IT WAS

KEYSTONE.

BUT SHE COULDN'T BRING HERSELFTO SAY THAT WE NEED TO SEPARATE

COMMERCIAL BANKING FROM THESPECULATIVE BANKING, MAINLY

REINSTATING GLASS-STEAGALLBECAUSE SHE CAN'T.

AND SHE SAID IN THE DEBATE, IREPRESENTED WALL STREET.

AND YES, SHE DID.

AND I BELIEVE THAT SHE HASN'TTHE INDEPENDENCE NEEDED TO

PROTECT THE MAIN STREET ECONOMYFROM EXCESSES ON WALL STREET.

>> Trevor: SO IF SHE REPRESENTEDWALL STREET --

YEAH, YOU CAN GIVE HIM ANAPPLAUSE FOR THAT.

(APPLAUSE)

IF SHE SAYS REPRESENTS WALLSTREET AND YOU BELIEVE THAT SHE

STILL DOES, WHO DOES MARTINO'MALLEY REPRESENT?

>> I REPRESENT OUR BETTER DAYS.

I REPRESENT ACTUALLY THE VISIONFOR OUR COUNTRY THAT SAYS WE'RE

ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.

AND THAT, IN FACT, OUR ECONOMYGROWS BECAUSE WE STRENGTHEN OUR

MIDDLE CLASS, NOT BECAUSE WECONCENTRATE WEALTH AT THE TOP.

IN OTHER WORDS, OUR ECONOMY,TREVOR, ISN'T MONEY.

IT'S PEOPLE, IT'S ALL OF OURPEOPLE, AND WE NEED TO START

ACTING LIKE AMERICANS AGAIN ANDINVESTING IN THE SKILLS OF OUR

PEOPLE IN OUR OWN COUNTRY IF WEHOPE TO GIVE OUR KIDS A BETTER

FUTURE.

THAT IS THE VISION THAT IREPRESENT FOR OUR COUNTRY.

(APPLAUSE)

>> Trevor: I WILL TELL YOUTHIS,YOU ARE MUCH NICER THAN YOU

SEEMED IN THE WIRE.