We're in a barber shop inside of a comedy club
and I'm sitting here with BT Kingsley,
Ellis Rodriguez, and JR De Guzman.
We're here, man.We're in Sacramento.
Sacramento, man.- Swaggermento.
- That's what you call it here?- Yeah.
- Swaggermento.- Swaggermento.
Nobody believes it,but we rock with that.
- I love the factthat right now we're in
an environment that a lotof people don't know about.
These are rooms, okay?all: Yeah.
- This is--this is--
this is the underground,right here.
People don't knowthat this exists.
What do you feel like,performing
in this type of environment?
Are there fears thatcome with it, would you say?
- Man, my first time here--I mean, I'm, like,
a young kid coming in,and they're just like,
"Just don't be afraid."Just don't be afraid.
And it's like, "All right,what does that mean, right now?"
Like, "What's about to happen?"- Is that what the comics
were telling you,or is that just what
you're telling yourself?- Oh, no,
the comics were telling me.
- You know what I love the most?I love the--
I love the fact thatthe people are in your face.
both: Yeah.- You know, I mean--
granted, now I'm at a--I'm at a space
where I'm performingin arenas and in stadiums,
but I go back to this.
I go back to the roomswhere I started.
I go back and really,really get on the grind,
because you getan immediate reaction.
Those people are right here.They're smack-dab.
So they can't lie to you.- You might be having
a good time with everybody else,and just that one person
that's sitting in front--be like, "I got to this dude."
- Yeah, that one guy.- Just one guy.
- That one guy who's justnot amused at all.
That one guywith the straight face.
- And texting--yeah.- Doing whatever you want.
- First time I came here,they let me know,
"No, no, no, no, no,you're gonna have to come back
with something betterthan that."
They--- They weren't happy
with what you were giving.- They wasn't happy
and they wanted to make sureeverybody else
knew that they wasn't happy.
And then just talkedthrough my whole set
and said stuff about my mama.- There you go.
- Yeah.- Everybody knows
that comedy's here on Sunday,and it's amazing.
But as far as payment goes,
it's a little bit of money.
More than likely,you gonna get wings.
- Hey, there you go.- You gonna get wings.
- I've been paid in food before.- Yeah, absolutely.
- I've been paid. We calledthem, "Food spots," in New York.
My thing isto bring awareness to this.
I want people to understandthat as comedians,
you know, we go through someshit that nobody knows about.
I know--I wasn't paid.
I got paid in the food spots.all: Yup.
- And I want to givecomics like yourselves
a chance to understand that,"Hey, people care.
People watching, man."I want to be an example.
We can all get up out of here.
So when I say that, man,tonight, let's go.
Let's rock.Do what you do best, man.
I'm excited to see y'all.- We appreciate you, man.
- I'm excited to see y'all.- Thank you.
- This is good talk, right now.
Comedy barber shopfrom the Touch of Class
in the underground--'cause it's five spots.