- So when was America last great?
- For me, I would say the turning point for our country
was 1913 when we passedthe 17th amendment.
And what's fascinating--
- So back when like women couldn't vote?
- Yeah, 19th, well but again--
- But that's kinda yoursweet spot right there?
- Absolutely, but 1913...
- What year was America great?
- When it was founded.
- Except for the slavery stuff.
- Except for theslavery stuff, you know?
- I think we were probably our strongest
immediately post World War II.
- So around the 1950s?
- Yeah, mid 40s, 50s.
- I mean, I think the 50s was great other than...
you know, segregation and women's rights.
- We could sit here and paint negative
faces of all times in America.
- It's make America great again.
So when was the last great?
- It's always been great.
- So if it's always been great,
what are we trying to go back to?
- We're not going back,we're going forward.
- Well I guess the 80s were pretty good.
- All right, the 80s.
- Yeah, the 80s, great music, great video games--
- [Roy] Crack cocaine? - Crack cocaine.
- Well we're always great, the people are great--
- But so, yeah--
- So America is greatright now, so we did it.
- No, we didn't do it.
- America became great when the founding fathers
put pen on paper in 1776 and decided
to build a country based on laws.
That was greatness.
- That was awesome, other than the slavery obviously.
That was terrible, and the--
- Well, we did have that, yeah,we did have that, slavery.
And the Indian thing, right?
- That was terrible and the women's voting thing.
But other than that, that was awesome.
- A few hiccups along the way, you know.
Like they say, nobody made it to the top
without breaking a few pieces of china.
That wasn't an insult, by the way.
(Daily Show theme)