- [Voiceover] This episode of CC: Social Scene
is based on your suggestions
from made up Ultimate Frisbee moves.
- [Voiceover] To sport is human,
to win divine.
Welcome to Sports five for five.
- It was one of those moments where you just know.
This isn't a game anymore, this is a sport.
This is Ultimate Frisbee.
I remember I was playing with Joe,
and we were getting into it, you know?
And then, Joe said something
I'll never forget.
- I was like, this is cool, but
what if we made this cooler?
What if we made this ultimate?
- The Frisbee had been around since 1938,
but it was a toy.
Daryl Derbin and Joe Butters looked at that disc
and saw something revolutionary.
- Basically, they played Frisbee, but they got real into it.
I mean, they would throw it really hard,
or do crazy throws.
They invented crazy throws.
- A lot of those moves are still used today.
- The Handful of Disc.
- The Spinner.
The Crash Helmet.
- The Clothesline Tackle.
(groaning in pain)
- They would throw the Frisbee while running.
- No only did they throw crazy,
they started catching crazy, too.
- Unnecessarily complicated catching.
And then they did something
that nobody saw coming.
They played Frisbee against other people.
(chanting "Go Blue")
(players yelling they're open)
- Oh, look at that!
I mean, before us, it wasn't even a game.
It was just a fun activity you do
with your family and friends, you know, boring.
But, we took that fun activity
and we made it into an intense,
no holds barred, winnertake all competition!
- People would be like,
"Don't think think you're taking this too seriously?"
And, I would be like,
"I think we're takingthis way too seriously!"
(shouting and cheering)
And, then it got big.
We made the cover of Disc Weekly, the Frisbee Journal,
Spokane Quarterly Farmer's Almanac.
And that's when Jenny joined the league.
- Joe and I felt that
Ultimate Frisbee would be too dangerous for a lady.
We were wrong.
(sultry guitar solo)
- Come on! Come on!
Yeah, you know my mom wanted me to get married,
have kids. (scoffs)
I was like, "Yeah right, I gotta throw that Frisbee!"
Is it you or me? You decide!
This table came natural,and you know what?
- And, this is whenthings got really crazy.
- The celebrity, the fans, the need to win.
It was too much.
- And, like all good things,
it fell apart.
- Darryl and I got caught up in a tampering scam.
(police siren chirps)
- I told you, it's not my glue!
It's not my glue!
- Let's go.
- I want my lawyer!
- They would put crazy glue on their hands
so the discs would stick better.
It was a clear and franklyobvious violation of the rules.
And, out of respect for this sweet game that I love
more than anything,
I had to punish them.
- You get addicted to winning.
I mean, I couldn't stop.
I'd hit rock bottom.
I'd wake up with glue on my hands.
And, that's when the league came down hard on us.
- It was the decision of the league that the sport,
as it stood, was too ultimate,
and steps had to be taken to make it
- They were out.
The guys who started the whole thing, just like that.
- You know, I didn't want them to go, but
the game had changed.
And, they cheated.
- Sure, the game is still played today but
it's not the same.
It's not as ultimate.
- Sometimes, lifethrows you a curve ball.
life throws you a Frisbee. (chuckles softly)
- [Voiceover] Join the conversation now with CC Social Scene
tell us about yourweirdest family member,
and we might write it into our next sketch.
Presented by Redd's Apple Ale.